Register now to get rid of these ads!

1st gen c10 front end swap ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DD, Mar 15, 2009.

1. DD

DD
    from illinois

I am looking at buying a 62 c10. the truck comes with a later model front and rear end. has anyone ever done this swap. I have read it is a bolt in job, but have also heard other wise. any help? thanks

2. onequickchevy

onequickchevy

I just bought a 63 and found a ton of info on site. Unfortunately for you the 62 is the torsion bar front end. It rides great, and is easy to lower, but the parts are outrageous. On the 63 up you can bolt in a 73 to 87 front end. (Not sure about 62 though?) I think you have to drill or enlarge a few holes to finalize bolt in. I just completely rebuilt my drum brakes and put on a 1970 truck dual res. master. It stops great. I did have to lengthen the rod to get enough stroke to stop though.:eek:

3. onequickchevy

onequickchevy

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  4. red3

red3

A friend of mine put in the cross member from a 83 on his 62. He said it was easy.

5. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I've not made the swap, but from what I've read it is possible to put the later IFS under the torsion bar trucks. Like any other suspension modification it has to be done correctly and safely so while I would not be afraid of the approach, I'd sure crawl under it and look hard at the workmanship.