Register now to get rid of these ads!

1988 S-10 rear end question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lakermatt, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

Hello all, has anyone ever used a rear end off a 1988 s-10 for their 47-53 chevy truck before? I am buying the T-5 transmission out of it and want to buy the rest of the drive train for a total swap out. Please let me know if this would work. Thanks!

2. nummie

nummie

If I remember right, it's a little narrow and I'd be careful how much power I put through it, as it's originally got the automotive equivalent of a Briggs and Stratton powering it.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Dont worry too much about power on it. Had a friend in high school with a NASTY small block in his s-10.
    He kept 200lbs of sand in the back, that thing would launch so hard and twist the springs till the driveshaft kissed the ground.
    The rear lasted longer than we ever thought. Second owner blew the motor, still had the same rear in it

4. R Pope

R Pope

2WD S10 rear is too narrow, look for a 4WD one, they are 4" or so wider.
    As for strength, they are a small pinion shaft 10" rear. Under 300 horses and it will last a long time, as long as you don't drive like it's stolen!

5. 55 - 57 chevy rear will work great also just dont snag on it to hard .It works good for street use as a driver

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do search here for links to rear axle width charts. with all need to verify gear ratio. try project33.com for calculator on what ratio best for you. if using S10 only way to know ratio is by tag in glove box or pulling rear cover off and do some counting.

7. lawman

lawman

!999 S-10 4X4 Blazer rear in a 1951 Chevy 1/2 frame.

Attached Files:

8. primed34

primed34

There is a code stamped on the right side axle tube that can give you the ratio. May have to go to a dealer parts dept. to find out what it is.