Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1984 Kkoa leadsled spectacular Des Moines Iowa

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Moriarity, Jan 21, 2020.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The lowering block trophy is still one of the koolest Kustom trophies that I have seen. Would have been kool to win one but I'm settling finding one for sale that I could afford. Lol!

62A3BEF7-4D1A-430E-B7D4-46C9D62146E1.jpeg

I have this bumper sticker on my suit case been there for a long time. I cant throw the suit case away because of the sticker. I guess I should just cut it out.

Kool post love looking back, brought back a lot of kool times......

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Bob`s Ford. I`ve always liked this one. Who was the short guy who had all the hat pins on his( I call them a sports car style) hat. Never knew what car he had, was a LLK member. IMG_20200601_0001.jpg

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

6. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Thanks for the memories. You all beat me to posting pics of the bumper sticker and other goodies. All my notifications got shut off so just getting caught up.

OG lil E and Moriarity like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I thought this pic might have been taken in Ohio but you can clearly see it sitting behind the Olds I just posted . It could of been at both places. IMG_20200614_0001.jpg

8. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

I joined "The Classics Car Club" on Onawa IA back in 1982 when dad accidentally bought the '55 Ford that I posted on page 3. The club started in 1976, one of our founding members owns a weekly newspaper, and hence, a print shop. The club has always been blessed by that member's dedication to the old car hobby with a regularly printed newsletter. Garage Scene, Rodder's Mart, what are members building? What shows have members attended, etc.... The following is my submission to the newsletter following my trip to KKOA Des Moines 1984.

Mind you, I was 18 at the time, fresh outta high school. Had to borrow parents credit card for a motel room. I think there is a typo ... should say we arrived at 8 am, NOT 8 pm. Also, the black shoebox Ford shooting flames was from the Wanderers Car Club from Coralville IA, if I remember correctly. I think it was a hardtop/Vicky which would have made it a '51, not a '49 or '50. The purple Stude with Lakepipes had to be Gary Glasgow's. I remember it was running '54 BelAir wheelcovers. Any body have a pic of that one?

On July 28 and 29, two members of the "Classics" Car Club took a trip to the Leadsled Spectacular in Des Moines, Iowa. They were Alan S!#$%^&* and Bill H^%$#!, both of Pender, Nebr. Here is a report of their trip.

Friday, the 27th, was spent cleaning up Bill's '55 Ford Club Sedan. Then at 4:00 a.m. Saturday we left Pender. Finally got to Des Moines at 8:00 p.m., but there was no clue of any custom cars through the dense fog. Then, we saw them, customized cars scattered here and there in the motel parking lots.

Already we were pointing, oohing and ahhing, just like little kids in a candy store. We were so completely amazed that we drove right by headquarters motel, not even noticing it. After u-turning it back to Howard Johnsons, we were awestruck by the sight in the rear parking lot, which we didn't see before.

We wasted 50 miles worth of rear tread trying to hurry to the back lot. There, we saw four rows of gleaming beauties and their owners wiping off the morning dew. By the time we parked next to a purple, lake-piped Studebaker, our bottom jaws had hit the asphalt.

We managed to get good and lost on the way to the fairgrounds, stopping at least two or three times for directions. If the Iowa State Fairgrounds would have had large pearl-white gates, we would have truly believed we were in Heaven.

Mirror to mirror kustom kemps up and down both sides of a three-fourths-mile street. We ran like crazed men through the crowds, trying to look at every car, from primered projects in their beginning stages, to finished full-custom, mid-century Mercs.

After wearing our feet to blisters, Bill took time to enter the giant model car contest with a '34 Ford Coupe, a '53 Ford Flatbed Truck, and a '56 Ford. Later, we found out that the '56 Ford Crown Victoria Glasstop took the "Best FoMoCo" plaque in the Senior Division. In the late afternoon, we took part in a Poker Run, and drew a hand fit for a first grader. Evening rolled around and we cruised off a tank of gas with just about 500+ other cars. We stopped all of the '55-'56 Fords and Mercury's to tell them we wanted a group picture on Sunday morning.

Back at Howard Johnsons there was a black '49 or '50 Ford set up to throw flames from the lake pipes. It was really impressive at night. There was a DJ playing songs and a good time was enjoyed by everyone.

Sunday was spent organizing our group picture and kickin' back in the shade sippin' Mountain Dews.

The Kustom Kemps of America put on the Leadsled Spectacular every Summer at a different place across the Nation. It is an event you won't want to miss if you appreciate trick body work, love custom cars, and like a good fun time.

Vol. #1 Issue #5 - "Classics" Cruisin' News 1984

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Sancho, John B, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@54delray Very kool story thank you for sharing it with us. I had a similar situation when we were at the first KKOA Spectacular in Wichita. A small group of us left early Saturday morning to drive up to Wichita. I drove my '57 Nomad that was more street machine than kustom. At the time I didn't know any better... It was a life changing experience. Could not believe how kool it was to watch all of the kustom driving around. That was the day I had to sell my Nomad, I had to own a kustom.

I was only 18 and didn't have a credit card. A months before the show my dad called the Hotel to reserve a room for us to stay. We tried to check in at the hotel and they wouldn't let us because we were not 21 years or older. Bummed, we decided to go hang out in the parking lot and when we would just drive home later that night. Almost 40 years latter, now I know so many people that were at the first KKOA Spectacular they would have helped me out but at the time I was way out of my comfort zone.

Look forward to seeing everyone. Going to be another kool one..

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

OK, Mick ... I'll second your BTTT ... if some one could post a picture of that purple 53 Studebaker with 54 BelAir wheelcovers that I was talking about.

OG lil E likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Thanks @Moriarity ... still want to see a pic of Gary and Molly Glasgow's purple Studebaker ... anyone?