Register now to get rid of these ads!

1973 Camaro steering box adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubbyTom, May 23, 2011.

1. tubbyTom

tubbyTom

I have some play in my steering wheel and want to try to adjust the slack out. I noticed an adjustment screw on top of the box. Can I safetly adjust the screw in a little to tighten it up? Does moving the adjustment screw change anything else? Any things to look out for, or tips that may be helpful?:confused:

2. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I have never tried to adjust one of these boxes but i know the screw you are referring to is only for the "on center" feel.

If you tighten it too much you'll have a hard spot

3. Just turn about 1/4 of a turn at a time, it will help, just dont force it.

4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you sure the play is in the box? If so, yes you can adjust it out with the screw. It sets the pre load when in the center of the total lock-to-lock movement. Turing it in applies more preload. Go slow. Make sure you are checking your progress in the center.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Most steering boxes should only be adjusted with the pitman arm or tie ros disconnected. See a service manual for the correct procedure.
    A steering box should last the lifetime of a car/truck if kept properly adjusted and lubricated. If adjusted improperly wear will kill the box in short order.

6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

sorry they are not in order but this is for a vega box, but it tells you how to adjust the box.

7. tubbyTom

tubbyTom

When you adjust it in will it change the steering wheel position?

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't jump to open heart surgery for a little pain in the chest.

Check out the play in the the tie rod ends, center link and idler arm first. I worked in a front end shop for over 20 years and I can't remember ever adjusting one of those boxes. I replaced a few that leaked but never an adjustment to cure slop. If you don't know how to check a front end just ask. It's not hard but it does take 2 people.

9. the steering wheel will not change position unless you adjust the tie rod ends.