Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1972 ford 302 oil pan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corvairsixtyfour, Nov 30, 2014.

1. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

on my 53 customline im running a 72 302 based off the casting number on the block its from a 72 ford torino, i been wanting to change my oil pan since my centerlink hits it and it doesnt allow me to steer right, the oil pan i have on it right now is a two hump, and two drain bolts, on in the front and one on the rear of the oil pan, what im trying to figure out is if i have a front sump or rear sump on this engine?

2. I have a front sump, I am pretty sure it is early model. I also switched to the pick up tube that went with that engine.

3. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Two drain holes sounds like a Fox chassis rear sump pan, originally used '79-'93. 50274.jpg

4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

perhaps an early Bronco 302 pan would help you out. Would need pick-up also.
    [​IMG]

This is a early style front sump.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

5. Mark T

Mark T

Your 302 Torino engine most likely had a front sump oil pan from the factory, if that's what it had and your planning on running a rear sump pan you will need to buy one with the dip stick that goes through the side of the pan like the one pictured above.
    Early 70's 302 blocks were not machined for a rear dip stick.