Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1968 302 ford in 1934 ford pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cammer8, Aug 1, 2016.

1. cammer8

cammer8

Is small block ford too long for my application. I really think (contrary to Chevy lovers) that a ford belongs in a ford!

Runnin shine and afaulk like this.
  2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

A 'Y' Block 312 is they way to go if you want Ford In Ford. 302 requires too much surgery.

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you can pretty much solve the length problem with a short water pump kit or an electric fan. I understand they now make a water pump for just this purpose. I haven't measured either engine but I doubt the 302 is any longer or shorter than a y block, and just from eyeballing it the 302 looks smaller across to me. I have a bone stock 1966 289 motor sitting on a stand in my shop. It is complete from oil pan to carb and from the fan to bell housing mounting surface. If you need any measurements from it let me know and I will get them for you.

I too think a Ford belongs in a Ford, but understand why Chevys are put into so many cars.

1927graham likes this.
  4. cammer8

cammer8

Thanks for your response. Don't know if I'm ready to cut up the firewall and get into my footroom. At least the distributor is in the front!

5. F&J

F&J

I just looked for this thread again to say:
    "the most valuable part of that truck is footroom" LOL.

it's pretty depressing to get to the end of a build and not find enough room for your heel, or toe, on the gas pedal..if there is any room for a pedal at all.

Even the bell housing designs of different engines can mess things up.

6. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

in the 1960s-70s they used the 1962-64 small block Ford 221, 225, 260 ci & 289 engines for their smaller circumference bellhouseing easy to spot because it was 5 bolt rather than 6 bolt housing. You can even put the 302 rotating assembly into them.

7. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

My '30 model A coupe has a '73 Ford 302 with a c4 automatic in it. It was built with an electric fan. Every thing fits well and is a dependable driver.

X38 likes this.
  8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think the engine is that much longer, but that dad-blamed front sump gets in the way.

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

32 3 window , started out with a 70 vintage 350 370hp LT1 Bow Tie . I looked at a bunch of Henry Ford pictures , I never saw him wearin a Bow Tie . Something was a miss ! Now the 32 is proud to have 90 , 302 , punched , X grind cam , roller rockers , roller fuel pump eccentric , dura spark ign . , Cobra intake , Ford Holley carb . Runs like greased lighting after a church service . The water pump was shortened , I think I remember 1 5/8 inches . Rear sum oil pan is stock Fox body Mustang stuff . Early water pump casting allowed me to use same radiator as Bow Tie . Henry would be proud , maybe he was a hard man to please .

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford made rear sump pans as well for the small block if I recall correctly. I think the early broncos were rear sump pans.

BurntOutOldMechanic likes this.
  11. RmK57

RmK57

Mid-90's or so V8 Explorers had rear sumps in them also and they made a million of those things.

12. 53 ford

53 ford

Hi volume oil pump has clearance problems with rear sump pan. Wider pump vanes make pumps fiscally bigger. Bfh and 2x4 solves lots of problems. Harley

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have HV pump Fox Mustang no issues

14. But the 289 versions are as rare as hens teeth these days, and if you want to run a C4, you need the equally-rare '64-only C4 bellhousing. The 221 and 260 are performance limited due to their small bores, and if you use the 302 cranks you then need custom pistons.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the motors are similar length but that damn water pump on the smallblock is longer then the Y block,I shoved the radiator in front of the core support on my 55 sunliner when I installed a 351-W so I could but a good fan on it and its kind of too far and needed a extension. I wish whoever designed the Windsor motors would have designed them to fit a 40 Ford instead of a Falcon 6 cylinder engine bay and maybe it would have a much shorter water pump.

16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. The late 90's explorer has the shortest water pump there is. I cut my firewall between the 2 kickouts on the sides and made the center flat. I had plenty of room. I'm using a Cooling components electric fan which has been great. Because it's a straight axle car, you can use any oil pan because it's behind the axle. My truck is 8 years old and has almost 26,000 miles on it. Everything about this has worked well.

X38 likes this.
  18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

This 302 is being installed in a 1933 Ford pickup and ends up in LAST 33 PARTS 2016 007.JPG this relationship with the cross member using a stock pump and bronco style pan. The stock floor pan is slightly modified but the firewall is not cut.....

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I think it is a bit to long or to far forward for radiator , been a long time , after seeing a Ford in a 33/34