Register now to get rid of these ads!

1966 Coronet Grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordguy78, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I'm in the process of working on my uncle's '66 Coronet right now and need all new grill trim. I've looked online and can't find the stuff anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find this stuff.

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

i have one from a Belvedere. Not perfect, but driver quality. Perhaps they are similar?

Post this in the Classified want ads for best results

3. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

My best advice would be to go to Moparts.com and put a post up on the wanted section or look under parts and someone on there is sure to help you. good luck on your find!http://www.moparts.com

4. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

good luck. 66 and 67 were one yr only designs, and the only thing close was the charger, and its really different but it will fit the opening. i had a 67 coronet, it needed the grille surround mldgs. only ones i could find the guy wanted 1,000 for the set. i only paid 800 for the car....

5. The problem is everybody sellin this stuff figures you should pay hemi car prices for it. Sure doesn't help the guy trying to build an inexpensive small block car. I can see how somebody selling a color keyed 71 Cuda grill could want big money, but 66-67 coronets? Their crazy.

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

Go to Moparts.com or For B Bodies only.

7. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Try calling the guys at US Car Tool. They'll be at Carlise in the coming weeks and could help you with your project.

http://www.uscartool.com/

8. I've got a '66, and quite a few spare grille parts. The grille is five separate pieces - two grille halves, two headlight doors/surrounds, and the center "I"-piece, PLUS the headlight buckets, parking light assemblies and lenses on top of all that. What are you looking for???

The 66-'67 Charger grilles will work, but you need the top header "T"-bar from that car, plus the headlight motors, wiring, front bumper, and vacuum lines to make it work.

Same goes for the '67 Coronet grille - you need the "T"-bar, headlight buckets, front bumper (the t/s lights are there on a '67!) and brackets from a '67 to make it work, too.

The '66 and '67 Belvedere grilles are totally different than the '66 & '67 Coronet; and to use one, you also have to change out the entire front sheet metal assembly (fenders, "T"-bar, core support, hood, headlight buckets, headlight & t/s wiring, front bumper & brackets) to make it work. A Belvedere/Satellite grille is even more expensive, yet! The only thing repopped on the Belvy grille is the '66 parking lamp lens!

Aside from moparts.com (too much attitude & drama there!), go to www.moparstyle.com and check the Classifieds there.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  9. When was the last time you had seen one for sale at all, much less a presentable grille? Last one I knew of for sale was a complete assembly for $4,000. It was NOT an NOS piece, either. They ain't cheap, no one is repopping any portion of the grille, and you don't exactly trip over one at the junkyard these days.

10. swi66

swi66

If you have dented or dinged grille surrounds.
    they can be straightened and polished.
    I have both a 66 and 67 Dodge Coronet 500 convertibles and had the same problem.
    In Medina NY there is a place called Barne's Metal finishing.
    They stripped, straightened and polished mine perfectly.
    Had a lot of other trim done there as well.
    All came out good.
    But it takes time as they always have a waiting list.

I see the parts you need at Carlisle.........expensiv!

Hood molding is being reproduced, as well as the pieces for the trunk lid at least for a 66 "500" model.

Gary

11. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Don't know if this place has what you need but they are a mopar only junk yard.
    Never dealt with them but have seen their site online.
    http://www.wildcatmopars.com/

12. swi66

swi66

The All Chrysler Nationals are this weekend in Carlisle PA.
    There are always plenty of vendors there that have items like that, from re-finished to decent used.
    Another parts source is "Mopar Collectors Guide" magazine.
    And Grilles can also be found on e-bay

13. Don't take this as poppin' off against Dodges because i'm a mopar guy from way back. But unless you're finishing up a 100 point hemi restoration that has to be done yesterday, $4000 for a 66 Coronet grill is insane. If you have the time, why not look for a 4 door parts car. Even if you have to buy a couple parts cars, you'd still be ahead of the game. But I know what you're sayin' about Dodge/Plymouth parts in general. Anything from the musclecar era is priced like Duesenberg parts.

14. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

The 66 67 belvedere is a total different grille ,also the coronette is different than a charger ,the charger has hidaway lights and the coronette dosnt .c

Attached Files:

15. Post it in the wanted section,,,HRP

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I saw them yesterday !
    I was at the Chrysler nationals in Pa. They come around every year at this time . Wish I knew ahead of time and i would have tried to help you out .
    You can always try putting a wanted request on here and try all the Craigs list in your area . I have found many things that way . Can't it be fixed ?

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

What is really bad , I was looking at a 1967 Coronet 500 with a 318 , stuck , 2 door with buckets and console for sale . the car was in a garage since 1990 . 74 ,000 miles on it and NOT RUSTED OUT ! The entire bottom of the car was great T Interior was cracking bad due to dry rot but a solid cherry car .
    This is the bad thing , he only wanted $1800 and I was about $800 short ! Couldn't believe what I saw and couldn't get them damn car ! Was one of those things people tell you about and you tell yourself why can't I be that lucky ! Well what can you do , SHIT OH well !!!
    I wish I could of helped you all out . Just remember next year tis time ! I would be more than happy to help you get the parts you need .

18. I'm not saying it's not crazy. Indeed it IS crazy...but that is the price to pay to play in the musclecar-era game. Supply and demand is a wonderful thing. GM, Mopar, Ford, AMC - same across the board. But, by the same token, look how crazy '58 to '64 everything has become since 2004. Back then, a '58 Chevy Impala was NOT a high-dollar ride - now try to build or buy one! You couldn't give an Edsel away in 2004. Look at them now! A '59 Plymouth or Dodge? Same thing. So, it's not the sole purview of the musclecar era that prices are a great deal higher than they were. They've all dropped a bit since the election in '08, but they will come back up. If you have the $$$ to get the parts or the car you really want/need, now is the prime time to buy.

A friend completed a 100-point resto on a 37K '71 Hemicuda two years ago, and got the record price for a hardtop - The car sold at a Houston auction for $2M. The highest-priced '66 Coronet that I am aware of is a '66 500 w/426 Hemi and 4-speed ragtop for nearly $350K two years ago.

Most times, you are better off finding a nearly-complete parts car, take what you need off it, and sell the rest.

19. 73RR

73RR

X2 for WildCat Auto Wrecking. 503.668.7786. closed Sun & Mon

Tell Ed I sent you.

Gary

20. Big Dad

Big Dad

call my friend in Sodak ..Brad most likely has one of them for sale, he has a large inventory of parts 605-351-0633 ..Tell him Daryl gsve you his number

Good guy, you can trust him 100%

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Some of those people that pay that kind of money are fu**in crazy !
    I saw more Hemi cars yesterday than I can think of and the parts weren't as bad as I thought they would have been . The grill for $4000 is way too much when I passed a good car up for less than 1/2 that much yesterday . the people with the high dollar Mopars have nothing better to do with their money that to say " Look what I bought & look how much I paid for it " ! If you want to pay millions for a car that isn't drivin and is just looked at in a book of picture then fine .
    I know the good deals that were there at the show I was at and you can get the parts for a better price then that . As long as some damn high end auction is paying HUGE dollars to be on TV then yea the price will be higher and the little guy will get screwed in the end as long as you pay that much for something .
    All I am saying is just wait till you find the right piece for the right price . Don't think you have to give your right arm just because it's a Mopar .