Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1966 283 oil filter bypass to remote filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deucendude, Feb 4, 2020.

1. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I have been trying to figure out how to put a oil filter bypass on a 66 283 chevy. I can't find any info. I am guessing I could put a spin on filter adapter and then add the bypass on to the spin on adapter. Anyone know if this will work or has anyone done something different?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd believe if you look for "remote" filter rather than "bypass" filter you will find what you are after unless you actually trying to use a bypass filter housing for some off the wall reason.
    Summit calls them filter relocation kits.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Mimilan

Mimilan

Go full flow and use a Bypass filter.

On my early 283 we changed from a Canister type to a Cartridge filter.

We used a "Perma-cool #1134" adapter [we chose this because it is one piece design that doesn't leak.]
    The Perma-cool doesn't have a bypass so we used a Fram HP4 filter with an internal bypass.

Before I get flamed for using Fram ....The HP4 [HP series] is USA made quality piece
    Whereas the alternatives were all made in Thailand.

I've never witnessed a Fram HP series filter cause engine failure [in Road Racing]

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say that it time you give us better details on exactly what you are attempting to accomplish on this.
    Switch to a spin on filter with a bypass? put in a remote filter for clearance for this/that or another? Attempt to mount an old bypass filter that takes a cartridge on top to make it look like a stock 55 265? Or?????