Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 Newport project....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elgato65, Feb 10, 2009.

1. elgato65

elgato65

So here's what I'm working on right now: It's a '65 Newport with a 383, bought it from VA and dragged it over to TN. Got a new brake booster and lines in there; so no more driving an ebrake...New tires, glass, gaskets, filters all around -- but the simple stuff is all I've ever messed with.

Trying to learn on this one - putting the trim back on, throwing in some new lights, rewire so I can get all 4 headlights working, installing my new dash; getting the rust all gone, and slapping on some good paint. Finally, do the interior.

So - i'm a cherry when it comes to this stuff. Should be a blast.

Attached Files:

2. Squablow

Squablow

I have a '65 300-L and I'm pretty fond of the '65 Chryslers. If you're considering some custom mods, take a look at the tail lights that the New Yorkers got, they're much cooler than the all-red ones, and I like the covered headlights on the 300 series cars too (did the Newport have those?)

When you do your repaint, consider ditching those tacked on corner lights, they look out of place. The dummy spots do too, they're much more of a late 40's/early 50's deal.

3. elgato65

elgato65

Nah - no covered headlights, I liked 'em a bunch; but no dice. Thanks for the tip on the tail lights - Wanted to get rid of the corners, too; and once I get some experience, i want to get rid of the spots, too....can't just leave the holes there, after all.

4. Good to see another mode door Newport! I have big plans for mine, but small pockets. Mine was already flat black when I got it (hoping to change that this year). I actually like the dummy spots, I know they are more 40's and 50's, I just always liked the looks. Fair warning, if you plan on lowering it moree than 3-4 inches, you will run into clearance problems with the trans tunnel (at the rear, ask Tin Man), with the rear end snubber (on top of the pumpkin), and you will have clearance issues with the outer wheelhouses on both qtrs if you run reversed wheels. I bought a set of 14x7 reversed Supremes, and now I can't set the car all the way down (I have hydros on the rear). I am hoping to change those issues (I am planning on raising the trans tunnel 3 inches, raising the gas tank, and "working" the outer wheelhouses. You might be able to swap your grille for a New Yorker (they had the covered headlamps). And definately get rid of the side marker lamps. Be ecareful with the steering, PM me if you have questions on that!). I vote for a bell flower influences car, but that is just me.

5. elgato65

elgato65

The spots are all rusted to hell - I don't need it to be a princess, but I don't want rust all over the place either - that's why I was going to rip em off. Who knows though - It's got 2" blocks dropping it right now in the rear, and that's about it - I like it how it is, as far as stance goes. I'm still too much of a cherry to deal with steering, etc.; just trying to mess with the simple stuff for now. I'll have to do some New Yorker research to see what I can find out. And def. small pockets here -- Sergeants pay ain't all it's cracked up to be.... hahaha...

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Nice car! wasn't MY first car, but the first car anyone gave me to drive around in was a 65 newport. I was 14, and my sister in law tossed me the keys and said "here". I said "what are these for?". She said "My car stupid, don't you like driving, or would you prefer to walk everywhere?". Needless to say, my sister in law rocked ass!

7. elgato65

elgato65

It's funny for me - here I am knocking at the door of 30 and I still haven't learned enough about cars -- I guess I was too busy worrying about a pompadour and playing music that I forgot that If I want to HAVE a cool car; I damn well oughta be able to wrench on it.

So - I'm just learning. But if all you old guys can do it........ Hahaha.

I'm just happy to have found a place with so many smart people on it - I'll be seeking a lot of advice here, and learning what I can from some people that have created BEAUTIFUL cars.

8. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

I'm right there with ya on the Newport I picked up this 65 last weekend. I'm going to rebuild the frontend, clean out the gas tank, fix the brakes and put it on the road.

Attached Files:

9. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I have the Fatman drop spindles on the front of my 68 300 and like them real well. On the C body the Fatman spindle is 1" shorter than stock and you have to modify the bolt spacing for the pitman arm by making it a little wider. But the 2" drop with good suspension travel and addition of disc brakes really help to slow these boats down. Electrically I recomend making a winter project and completely re-wire using a kit of your choice, a 100 amp powermaster 1 wire alternator and an MSD ignition. Run separate grounds to all lights and components. It eliminates all the Mopar wiring gremlins like ballast resistor and voltage regulator, dead battery, dim lights problems. Also get an old factory service manual so you can make heads or tails of the dashboard. It also will help you with the rest of the car. Enjoy your new purchases!