Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW MERCH!!!!!!

Hey guys... It's that time of the year again and we are introducing some new shirts in the Jalopy Journal store - including our first ever pocket shirt! So, if you are in the need for some new threads go here:
    The Jalopy Journal Store
    Dismiss Notice

Hot Rods 1965 Dodge van

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconvan, Nov 28, 2017.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

I only occasionally lurk over there now; a few members are perversely useless, and a big percentage just dash on, ask a simple question that has been answered 20 times, then dash off. I poured real effort into some of my posts and many of the 'community' couldn't be bothered to read. After too many "what tires fit?" posts and a certain member's baiting queries, I bailed...
    I found that the number of posts per week that actually interest me over there is around 2. Lots of good info in the old posts, but you have to dig through too many "I bought a 60s van, how can I make it as safe as a modern Honda?" I-D-10-T-S.
    While updating the amp gauge, go with the electronic regulator that matches a later, higher amp alternator or (gasp) an internal regulated alt. The old school points type regulators can be made to function well, but it's a dying art and not equal to higher output charging systems.

iwanaflattie and falconvan like this.
  2. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

On my last couple of Mopar engines I used a mid 80s GM alternator and a mid 80s GM HEI ignition module with the Mopar electronic distributor. Works great, cheap, and you eliminate both the voltage regulator and the ballast resistor.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  3. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I had a few days off so I cleaned up several more things and bolted them on the engine, primered the back doors, and cleaned up all the pieces of the doghouse and painted them. I was going to use bedliner on the floor but decided to go with a full rubber floor mat so I just painted the floor. I hope to get all the guide coat sanded off the back doors this weekend.
    [​IMG] Attached Images
    int.jpg int2.jpg doghouse.jpg

Peanut 1959 and tb33anda3rd like this.