Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 Comet Caliente Convertible Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65CometRagTop, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy: Thanks I need all the confidence I can get for the top.

Randy: Thanks for keeping track of my topic. I looked up a 62 Meteor. Cool car.

I started working on the seats but found the covers I got will not work so back to the drawing board on that. I did finish the hood lock pictures below. The carpet should be delivered this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    65COMET likes this.
  2. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;I LIKE IT!! I may have to steal that idea for the wagon,clean and simple and almost invisible!!!! Are the convertible seats different than a coupe? ROY

3. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

The front seats are probably the same but I think the rear is different. I am trying to use mustang seat covers (much cheaper) but ordered the wrong year. I am going to make a trip to Oceanside and go to the source of the seat covers to see if they can help me out.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;I believe the rear seat is narrower on a Convertible!!Going to the source is a great idea!! ROY.

5. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

I worked on sound proofing, heat shield and carpet over the weekend. I had to change a 2 part carpet set to a four part with one of the parts still to be made. The transmission tunnel is much bigger then stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;is that a replacement carpet kit?Did you get a new dash pad,if so it looks very good!I'm thinking of using the kick panels with the built in speaker openings on my wagon,they look like they fit well. ROY.

7. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy,
    Yes that is replacement carpet. There was not a stich of carpet that came with the car. We ordered it from Stockinteriors.com. It took about 8 carpet samples to pick the color but we like it. We also ordered the sound-deadening/heat-shield and the extra carpet for the tunnel from them. It is a new dash pad because the old one was too far gone and the wrong color. The kick panels fit great. The only reason I had to trim one was because of something I installed that did not come with the car originally.

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;thanks for the response! Where did you source the dash pad? ROY.

9. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  10. 65COMET

65COMET

I know they are EXPENSIVE!! I just like the look of yours,the one in my 65 has too much of a shine! I need a black one for my 65 Wagon,so I'll give them a call!! ROY.

11. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy,

I like the finish on the dash pad I got. It's kind of a semi-gloss/flat-black. How's the wagon going? Have you started a topic/thread for it yet? If so let me know what the link is.

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;do you have any pictures of the rear side panels?I really like the way the door panels turned out!! ROY.

13. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

The picture below is the only picture I have. I can take more if you need them.

[​IMG]

14. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

My son was on leave for two weeks so I took a break from the Comet but now I’m back to it. I got the over flow tank installed so that’s the last thing for the engine bay. I Finished the padding and carpet except the pieces for over the transmission tunnel. I installed the console and the back of the back seat. Still working on covering the rest of the seats then onto the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;happy for you that you got to spend time with your son,the Comet will always be there!! What a difference some cleaning and paint makes on those seat frames!!Mercury Show is in October,you going to be ready? ROY.

16. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

I would love to make the show. You wouldn't happen to know if I can register the Comet without the material on the top. My goal is to drive it to AZ for Thanksgiving.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;your COMET does NOT have to be finished!!! I will not be there as it is the same weekend as the CA.HotRodReunion up in Bakersfield!! ROY.

18. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy,

Sorry to here you will not be there. I will try and get there with my Daughter. I looked for info on it but it's not current.

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;it is that same park in Anahiem where we were a couple years ago.Registration is available there!! ROY.

20. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Thanks Roy I will see if I can make it to the show.

I got the back of the front seats done. Much more work than it should have been but lesson learned. When it comes to upholstery always buy the correct part. Don’t try and make something work that was not made to. Picture one is before and picture 2 and 3 are after. Not perfect but not bad I’m happy with it. As for the head rests I hate them and love them all at the same time knowing that if the Comet ever gets rear ended my daughter’s head will stay on her shoulders. For car shows the head rests can be removed and put in the trunk.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;the old Comet is really coming together!! Hard to believe it was such a mess when you started!! LOOKS GREAT!!! ROY.

22. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy do you know what date the cougar mercury show is? Their web site is not updated. Is it Saturday October 18th?

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;October 18,2014,8AM-3PM,Pearson Park,Anaheim,400 N.Harbor Blvd.,corner of Harbor and Sycamore!!I think Mike is about the only person in that Club that does any work!!! ROY.

24. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Thanks Roy. I'm in AZ right now and went to a cars and coffee this morning with my brother in his 36. Good times. A little steamy but good conversations

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;you went to Hotzona on purpose?!!!!!!Better have a coat ready when you get back to Long Beach!!!! ROY.

26. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Actually Hotzona was Steamyzona. It rained twice while I was there and not a small amount either. My brother and I finished the upholstery work while I was there so I am working on that. I will have pictures after this weekend hopefully of the finished interior.

65COMET likes this.
  27. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

I spent the weekend finishing up the seats and installing them. The interior is done at least done enough to register it and drive it. I have the tires on order and I should have them this week sometime. I’m waiting for the tags and hopefully I will get plates along with them in the mail. If not I guess I will have to go to the DMV. It’s almost time for the first test drive.

[​IMG]
    ]

[​IMG]
    ]

[​IMG]
    ]

loudbang and 65COMET like this.
  28. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;WOW,it looks great,hard to believe it is the same Comet you and your Daughter started with!!! ROY.

29. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Thanks Roy. We got the tires yesterday so my daughter and I installed them.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

rjones35 and s55mercury66 like this.
  30. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;looking good!!!Did you get your plates?Are you going to try installing the top? ROY.