Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1965 car question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, May 19, 2014.

1. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Hey guys, I know that my 65 is not quite the HAMB material, but I'm hoping that someone can answer a brake question for me about it. It's a 1965 Plymouth valiant w/ 225 slant 6. My question is this...can I remove the middle spreader actuating bar and the parking brake lever and the cables from the rear drum brakes and everything will work as the front? I have all new hardware and etc, however the parking brake cable is snapped and rotted. I am trying to see how they would be different than the front drums, and I'm not seeing how they would. maybe one of the smarter folks on here can help me out. thnx

2. Just pull the cables and leave the rest, they will work fine just no e-brake.

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Yep, there should be no difference in your rear service brakes with the cable removed. For added insurance, you can pop off the drums and pull the e-brake actuating lever out so there is no chance of it causing drag.

And, your '65 car is fine HAMB material. 1965 is the cut-off, even the boss-man featured his '65 Riviera on here...

4. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

well, then I think i'll attach some pics
    THANKS for the info.