Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1965 c10 gears ratio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vincentnova, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I never had a C10 so I wasn't hip to the parking brake. All my trucks were bigger. I had the tallest tires possible on my C30, 19.5" wheels and recaps.

2. The easiest way the slow the engine down is to change the transmission. The easiest and probably cheapest solution is to find a V-8 Camaro with a 5-speed (T-5?). The 5th gear is a .69 overdrive, which will give you a 2.83:1 Final Drive Ratio. You'll need a custom drive shaft and the correct speedometer gears. I'm not sure about the clutch linkage, as I'm a MOPAR guy. First gear will be more usable (not a granny gear), while still having the pulling power you need in most situations and you'll have more fun on the highway, without having to watch the tach and temperature gauges.

I made the same suggestion to my boss (from a former job), who had one of these trucks, a long wheel base step side). Unbeknownst to me, he actually did this and called me a few weeks later. His exact words were "Jake, I believe that you know something! Now, I can run with the BIG DOGS." To which I replied "G., if you keep fixing your old truck up, Mamie will want to ride around everywhere in it with you." Before she passed on, he had the bodywork done and repainted it from a brown to a "Carolina Blue."

3. BTW if the T-5 is too light, the TreMec trans is a heavier duty replacement for it.

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Camaro/Firebird T5 could work, but has a funky angle on the mount pad, and the shifter is way back.

5. I really like the granny 4 speeds. they have a creeper low and reverse. makes it better to maneuver a trailer. My 66 GMC long bed 1/2 ton has a 250 six and factory SM 420 trans. and 336 gears in a dana 44 rear. with larger rear tires it easily keeps up with traffic. I can pull my trailer 65 with ease. It does require downshifting on the steeper grades. and it can haul a heavy load and I aint afeared to load it. Grayson & papa's truck 008.JPG

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.