Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Pontiac 389

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Willshire, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Willshire

Willshire

Hello everyone. I have a 64 grand prix with a freshly redone 389. I purchased an edelbrock ef4b intake and a pertronix hei distributor. Unfortunately, the two won't fit together well enough to be able to set the timing. Anyone run into this problem? Which should i return to original? The stock intake works with the hei and th stock distributor works with the edelbock intake. I am thinking stock intake and hei. Also i bought a set of R.A.R.E cast iron headers but have a problem with the starter fitting (trans mounted). Will a mini starter work for this? Any help would be appreciated.

2. repoman

repoman

Buy a decent mini-starter, and you'll never be sorry about it.
    The ef4b isn't giving you much benefit besides weight savings. I'd go to the stock intake, and keep the HEI since you have it. Sure, points work fine, until they wear out, get dirty, needs adjusting, etc. -points suck. Jut buy an extra module and toss it in the glove box for the day it dies on you.