Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Galaxie tail dragger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingdesgn, Mar 15, 2013.

1. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Looking to do something different to my Galaxie. Take a look and let me know some thoughts. Would this be period correct? I did this in photoshop. ImageUploadedByTJJ1363357825.122955.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

I have no clue about period correct but I think it look good!

3. By the mid sixties the lowered rear ends was kind of out of style, but just lowering it all around a couple inches would look good. Nice car by the way.

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure what "period" that would be correct for. :confused: Tail draggers were pretty much "out" by '62, and look much better with skirts. The pictured car looks like an overloaded family car, and with tires a bit too small, BTMO. :)

5. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

find a look you like--- it is easy to change back...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. froghawk

froghawk

Long time ago I bought a solid but tired '63 Monterey S-55 that sat like that 'cause the previous owner had used it to scrap metal, wrecking the rear springs. Looked a lot better after the springs were replaced.

7. Wrong everything for a tail dragger, year. doors, body style etc. By '64 muscle cars were all the rage and not any four door. but, it's a neat car especially if you drop it, soup it a little, and get a great sounding exhaust system and some nice wheels! It would make a neat cruiser, traditional or not!

8. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Thanks everyone....may not go in that direction. Thi is how it sits now....just want to do something different ImageUploadedByTJJ1363361532.106462.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1363361579.536714.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. 327Eric

327Eric

not period correct. Four door= family car. They weren't even given a second glance. Doesn't mean not to, or that it wouldn't be good looking. I'd go more for a leveled look.

10. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

My wife has a 1964 Galaxie 2-door fastback tail dragger.
    I'll try to post some pics...(which I've stuggled with here), or I'll post a link so you can see.
    Give me a couple days. I may not a have a good picture that shows the true look.

BTW, she's had MANY people say they LOVE the car & the look.
    But she's also had many people say lower the front.
    In the circles we run in, we've been told by the old guys through many conversations that by 1964 the transition away from tail-draggers was happening, but it would not have been uncommon to see a 1964 tail dragger.
    That being said, the next time the car needs tires, we will probably buy smaller rims for the front and lower it up there by putting maybe 6 cylinder-no-AC-no-PS springs in, and leaving the back lowering blocks in to lower it all the way around. That makes it fun, and if we get sick of that look, we can change it back because we already have the parts, and only maybe $300 invested in it.

But I will say this: It's always a major attention-getter at cruise-in's and car shows. Always.

(as a side note, the car was on the cover of the March 2007 issue of Rod & Custom Magazine, and featured in the middle as I think a 4 page spread. At that time, when the car was built originally, the tail was an inch or two maybe at most higher in the back than the front....and it looked good and "period correct" as well.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  11. 4rod

4rod

as said above not period correct, however, dopping it all the way aound would be cool, mordor is a big ride...lower to the ground would give it a better look

12. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Thanks everyone .... I'll just keep it the way it is now .... in the images 4 messages up from this message

13. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is nothing wrong with the way it now looks! '64 Galaxies and XLs are some of the best looking/performing big Fords ever, and if anything, a slight nose heavy attitude is really all they need, IMO. Enjoy the car, as I miss my '64! :)

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

What he said ^^ 64 Galaxies sitting low with a slight nose down look cool. I would get extra wide steels with the correct offset and hubcaps from http://www.thewheelsmith.net/ Add much wider rubber under those fenders to fit the wide rims. A set of front and rear anti sway bars will add serious fun when driving the car.

15. 1964 XL four door is on cool car..Only made in 63 and 64. keep it the way it is. Great cruiser..
    As far as tail draggers, I remember them up into the late 70's around Los Angeles. Mostly Impalas..

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks good with the mags, I think it would look good low as well. looks like a nice old car.

as for "period correct" ... period correct would be all stock with your Mom driving and kids in the back seat with no seat belt.

17. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Find a pinstriper that knows what he is doing ,have him advise you on making your car standout as a classic example of a great car.:cool:;):D

18. pride63

pride63

That is the dogs mate, only beaten in cool stakes by a 63 country sedan but I am biased .

19. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I think a good look would be sitting level, either slightly above or below stock height, but with a whitewall radial (not a wide white, just a nice size up to 2" maybe?). Next, if you have 15" steel wheels, find or make up a set of the 15" Hi-Po style full wheelcovers. They are on ebay quite frequently but original ones are quite pricey. Sometimes you can make a set fairly cheaply out of 56 Merc caps and put the Ford wirewheel hubcap spinner in the middle.

20. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Here's a shot of my 64 4dr with a couple different wheel/tire combos.

Attached Files:

21. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I'd swear there is a guy on the forum who has a 64 four door for sale that's slammed with a 60's style paint job. I'd swear in the last couple of months I've see it...for about $10k out in california.
    I'll search for it when I get some time.

22. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

23. Either leave it as it is or drop equal all the way around about 3 inches. If you go the photo shop as in your first picture, stay away from the southern border and interstate 20 east of Texas. "whatcha got in the trunk boy, mind if we have a look?"

24. Squatch

Squatch

Country Squire... ;)

25. pride63

pride63

Yeah but ...... Lol

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Say What? :eek::eek::eek::D

27. 4rod

4rod

I say keep its muscle potential...

28. 64sedanman

64sedanman

I was wondering what size tires you're running on the front, I have the same wheels but kind of hung up on what tires to get