Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Galaxie disc brakes....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 333 Half Evil, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I tried a search and got nothing, so I hope this isn't a repost from someone before. If it is sorry. I have a 1964 Galaxie that I have to build into a street rod for a customer. We are going 390 with 3 dueces, automatic(he is older and cannot use a clutch due to leg problems...darn it!) and using the stock spindles/rear axle. What I am looking for is a company that makes a "bolt-on" 4 wheel disc brake kit.

I know discs on a 9" are not a problem, but what about the front. Is there someone who build bolt-on galaxie front disc brakes? I'd like a complete kit that would include power booster/master cyl, and all brake componants. Lines and hoses I can build so those need not be in the kit. If this has been covered before, please post a link so I can get to it. Thanks in advance for any info. Al

2. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I can't help much, but I did see a guy at a show that had a 64 Galaxie with frt disc brakes. They looked stock and I asked him what he used. He said it was just 71-73 Mustang stuff and claimed it was a bolt on.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

If you are wanting a kit, it looks like Master Power Brakes may have what you are looking for.
    http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=276

Master/Booster
    http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=153

Scarebird has this, although not the complete kit you want:
    http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=13

It is pretty easy to piece together a "kit" if you are willing to hunt down Granada spindles and just get replacement parts from any parts store...

Malcolm

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

A few years ago I had a 63 1/2 Galaxie that I put this set up on and it came out very nice. Disc brakes, dropped spindles and the M/C w/vacuum assist.
    http://www.dropnstop.com/

5. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Malcom,
    Thanks for the links and info. I do have some questions about the granada spindles etc. what year granada or are they all the same? Do the spindles fit without mods of what does it take to use the granada spindles on the 64 galaxie ball joints/control arms? Once the spindles are on, you just use all the granada parts...hubs/rotors, calipers, brackets, etc? Thanks again, Al

6. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Thanks for the info and links guys.

7. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

As stated, we do offer front and rear, both big and small pattern rear. We usually just sell the base brackets to keep costs down. email us direct and will send info sheets if desired. We of course offer an Alliance rebate.

8. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

Do you sell a complete front kit for a 1962 Ford Galaxie?

9. LOWLIDX50

LOWLIDX50

Im thinkin that 76 77 t bird spindles will fit.

10. choptvan

choptvan

there is a kat on here that did that. If I can find the link I will post it. Now the question I want answered is, can you get bigger diameter rotors for this spindle?

11. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

12. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

We could, though you would pay the same we pay for parts and for the shipping - that's how you would save $250-500 over competing full setups.

Email direct [email protected] for a quote if you still want a full kit.

13. 59 brook

59 brook

master power brakes gets my vote worked fine when chaning my 59 ford from single pot drums to power dual m/c disc brakes

14. Domino

Domino

This is 78 Thunderbird front Disks on my 62.

[​IMG]

15. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I want to do this conversion. I have a few questions????? What exactly do I need to get the complete spindle set up off of to keep my stock lug size on my 64 galixe????? people are saying to get them off of 78-79 t bird. But that bolt pattern is 5x5. I would like to just buy or strip the right parts car that I can unbolt the spindles and put them in my 64 ford A-frames. And the get the master and booster and block out of the parts car also. Could some one please walk me threw this?? Thanks you guys are great.

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

I recently sold a set from a 68 mercury parklane to a friend building a 64
    check a Hollander index but Im pretty sure 70's full size galaxie/LTD/mercury spindles are the same

17. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

So if the spindles are the same. what do i do??? Just bolt the spidles on my 64 A-frames? Then what do i use for rotors and calipers to keep the stock 64 lug pattern?

18. fxcomet

fxcomet

78-79 t bird are not 5x5. When Ford went to the midsize bird in 77, they adopted the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I used this setup on my Starliner several years back and it worked like a charm.

sko_ford likes this.
  19. This is correct. I did the swap years back using '77 or so T-Bird spindles. I took a spindle off my '64 and brought it to the 'yard with me and the T-Bird spindles had everything in the right location.

Bob

20. JEM

JEM

Best setup for most purposes is '70-72 Galaxie/Mercury. Big spindle snout, commonly available rotors and calipers.

The rest of the years will work but they're all one-year-only parts combinations: '66-67 are a four-piston design that are arguably better brakes, but are more costly and each was a one-year-only setup. '68 had a composite rotor-and-hub setup, '69 had a one-piece unit but still small snout. '73 uses same spindles and, I think, calipesr as '70-72 but a 5x5 rotor. '74-77 is 5x5 but with an even bigger spindle snout (what happens when you start building 5000lb land-barges) and don't think there's a 5x4.5 rotor/bearing combo that'll fit without making your own.

The '72- Torino/LTD II/'77-up Thunderbird/Cougar will fit - some people have had camber-adjustment problems with that combo, so research carefully - but the rotors are an inch smaller (will fit in some 14in wheels, not the original '64 ones) if it matters. Personally, for driver use there are no Galaxie-size 14in or 15in tires in the quality I'd want available any longer, you've got to go to a 16in to get a good driver tire anyway.

There's aftermarket spindles e.g. Fatman that are modified Granada/Monarch spindles IIRC, they have the same spindle snout diameter as the '70-73 big car but shorter, and small brake rotors. I can't speak for the geometry of any of those, I've never actually had a set in my hands.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  21. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I'd swear the ones on my wife's 64 are Torino, and I'd swear they are 1975.

They work great.

22. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I have a 73 ltd for a parts car I know it is 5x5. Could I use the 73 ltd spindles and booster and master and just put on 77 tbird rotors on the 73 spindles?????

23. JEM

JEM

No.

But if you want the small (11in) discs you should be able to run the '72-73 Torino rotors and calipers.

Correcting what I wrote a little bit ago...there's a break in the Torino stuff, '72-73 Torino (at least according to the interchange book) is the same spindle as '72 Mark/Thunderbird and '73 big car. '74-up Torino/LTD II '77-78 Thunderbird is actually the same as the '74-up big car.

I'm pretty sure the '70-72 big-car rotors will fit on the '73 spindle, I've got a set of spindles around here that came off a '72 Mark, but I can't verify it from the parts books.

24. Hey, stop swearing so much... I think those would fit. The Torino was close to the T-Bird parts I used. '74 to '76 Torinos were the same any maybe the '73. The '72 was a bastard year with odd one-year driveline and suspension pieces.

Bob

25. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

So is there anything I can do with my 73 ltd spindles and use the 64 ford lug pattern. Im kinda slow????????????????

26. JEM

JEM

Based on the interchange listings I'm looking at, the same spindle was used on the '72 Mark IV and Thunderbird and the '72-73 Torino/Montego, both of which were 5x4.5

If you want 12in rotors (15in wheels or larger) you should be able to run the Mark IV rotors and calipers.

If you want 11in rotors (will fit in some 14in wheels, not the ones that came on the car originally) you should be able to run the '72-73 Torino rotors and calipers.

This is all book larnin' and I haven't ever pulled a set of spindles off a '73 (though I do have a couple sets of '72 Mark IV spindles around here)

27. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I Have 15 inch wheels on my car now. So let me get this straight??? I can take the spindles off my 73 ltd and the brake booster set up mount them on my car and put 72-73 torino rotors and calipers on the spindles and call it a day????

28. JEM

JEM

If I were you I would use the Mark IV stuff, I find the 11in rotors a little small for a 4000lb car. The Mark stuff is a bit pricier, though. The Torino parts should fit.

As for the booster and master - if I recall what the late big Ford boosters looked like I don't see a prayer for making that fit on the '64. You could look for an original '62-64 bracket/bellcrank setup, there are kits e.g. MP Brakes that have a reasonable facsimile of this along with a universal GM-type booster and master cylinder. Check the pedal pushrod length; I had one once that needed a spacer between the bracket and the firewall to get the pedal hooked up at the right height.

This is the current state of my '64, with its stroked 460 as low in the frame as I can reasonably get it without dragging the pan, Opel Omega/Cadillac Catera ZF Servotronic steering box ($65 60K-mile used), and inverted Chevy Astro Hydraboost unit ($23 Pick-n-pull) on my first prototype CNC plasma-cut bracket. Now waiting on my C3 'Vette 1 1/8in disc MC (Wagner $12 Rockauto + shipping).

Sorry for the lack of contrast, I like OE black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what you get for buying your headers six years too early, even with the engine offset 5/8in to the right I've got 1/4in of clearance; he's subsequently revised his design to clear the Borgeson box, which I'm pretty sure would also clear this one. The right side's hopeless either way, and will need something custom-made.

The Hydraboost bracket/spacer design will be revised to cover most of the raised area on the firewall, and add an additional reinforcement inside the car on either side of the pedal support.

I'm told the stock '64 Eaton PS pump will not run a Hydraboost anyway, so running one on a FE-powered Galaxie would mean adapting a big later Ford pump or more likely a ham-can Saginaw. In my application the engine's running a late F250 serpentine FEAD with the stock Ford PS pump pad cut down for the little 1200psi GM power steering pump from the Catera (6-groove poly-V pulley, just the right diameter.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  29. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I know this is an old thread but this might help someone doing this swap. I used '77 Cougar spindles on my '63 Galaxie years ago.

[​IMG] 09-24-2002, 06:02 PM #4 (permalink)
    tking

Galaxie disc brake conversion information
    HERE IT IS!!!!!
    Galaxie Disc Brake Swap- from Feb.2001 Car[​IMG] Craft-Ask Marlan
    This swap should work with 60-66 Galaxies according to Phil DeSanto of Ford[​IMG] Galaxie Club of America who sent the information to Marlan.
    Fullsize and Intermediate cars[​IMG](70’s) all share same spindle assemblies-PN D4AZ-3105-A(right) and 3106-A(left). They bolt onto early Galaxie upper and lower control arms. However, some of the old Galaxie tie rod studs are slightly shorter than the newer disc brake cars- so you must spot face the tie rod stud’s nut seating area on the steering arm by 1/8 inch. The SPINDLES come on: 74-76 full size Ford and Merc., 74-76 Montego and Torino, 74-76 Meteor, 74-79 Lincoln Continental, Mark IV, and Mark V, 74-79 Cougar and Thunderbird, and 77-79 LTDII. The ROTORS come in two sizes and bolt patterns. The fullsize cars have larger rotors(11.8 inches) and use the larger 5-on-5.5 inch bolt pattern. The intermediate cars use a slightly smaller disc(10.720 “) and the early Galaxie bolt pattern of 5-on-4.5”. The intermediates are approximately the same weight class as the early Galaxies( 3600-4100 pounds) All models use the same PADS and CALIPERS (3-3/32 inch bore). The master cylinder (dual) from an 81-87 Ford Crown Victoria seems to work for non power brakes even though the Crown Vic was power assisted. Even the push rod is the correct length for the 63 Galaxie on which DeSanto installed it. An adjustable proportioning valve(aftermarket) is also required.

sko_ford likes this.
  30. 64 galaxie hm

64 galaxie hm

Does anyone know if 1965-1970 full size DRUM BRAKE spindles are the same as 1960-1964 drum brake spindles?