Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Ford Cruiseamatic trans cooler help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thrush544, Aug 10, 2010.

1. thrush544

thrush544

I own a 64 Ford Galaxie with the original 390. When running hard I have had problems with the tranny overheating and blowing fluid out it's front seal. When cooled down she seals back up again. I put on a 6 blade fan for overall better cooling and mounted a auxilary tranny cooler. I would like to plumb it into the return line to the tranny however wasn't sure which line it was. It was after 10:00 and my wife was waiting dinner (she did give up at 10) so I called it quits and came home. (besides I needed more hose).

So a couple of questions about the Cruiseamatic.

1. Which line (front or back) from the tranny is the to radiator and which one is the return from?

2. There is a plug in the passenger side floor board up close to the firewall, can I access the trans vent from tha hole?

Thanks for the help. I am headed to Beaver Springs FlashBack Friday this weekend and hope to run her a little bit. With 3:00 gears we won't be too quick for sure!

Thanks & God Bless,
    Ed<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Back is usually the return line from cooler. The vent should be near the back of the transmission. I doubt you can get to it from the hole.

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

On the Cruise-O-Matic/Ford-o-matic/Merc-o-matic, the rear port is the cooler return line, front port is feed line.

4. thrush544

thrush544

Thanks guys!!!
    I added the auxiliary automatic transmission cooler and changed out the original 4 blade fan with a hp 6 blade fan. Then I drove her 150 miles to Beaver Springs and raced her at their &#8216;Friday Night Flashback&#8221;. Had a blast!!! I then raced Saturday there. She ran great. However by my 2nd time trial run Saturday my left rear brake was grabbing. Found a rear wheel cylinder leaking. I didn&#8217;t have time/parts to fix her but will do so soon. The issue caused a rookie driver to look even more like a rookie! Only won one round, but had a great time. Beaver Bob puts on a AWESOME show!!!

God Bless,
    Ed