Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looking GREAT !

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;those short bars that would make up an eight point cage will not do you much good with your suspension setup.On my car they attach to the ladder bar crossmember.I have seen them angled over and attached to the driveshaft tunnel,which is a fairly ridged part of the floor/chassis.In my opinion,I would install weld in subframe connectors before I worried about the smaller lower bars.Your rollbar should be plenty stout the way it is and NHRA only requires a 6 point bar for cars running 11.49-10.00. JMO,ROY.

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;YES,that bright yellow looks good,will make your trim "POP",and looks good with a black interior!! ROY.

4. Almost done with mocking up the engine. Got my march pulleys today. I cant decide if I want to paint the pulleys and fan black or keep the polished look with the water pump and valve covers. Is one more period correct or was it function over looks?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;if you are going"period",then you need to paint them,there was no "billet" back in the 60s!! I think you need that dual quad intake too!!!You also need an upper alternator mount,I had that upper bolt break right at the head,running like you have yours!!If you watch the alternator as you rev the engine you will see it torque up and eventually that bolt will break!!That big flex fan is also not "period",but will work better than the stock four blade!You also need to paint your oil pan black,most guys built their own[I built my first two].

7. Roy those all great suggestions.. I will paint the pulleys, fan and oil pan all black to match the engine... Maybe no one will notice them right away as being aluminum once they are painted
    Are you talking about the triangle alternator bracket for the too bolt that also attaches to two bolts of the water pump? I do want to run the dual quad but I don't know I'd that will just create a tuning nightmare for me.. I do think it would be cool though.

8. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

9. Some work at the Body shop. I painted the pulleys and oil pan black, added a dual quad intake and headers. The dual quad is a factory ford one i had laying around. The headers are Dougs headers for a 64 Falcon, ceramic coated. I also dropped in the MSD small base distributor and painted the cap black to look more natural. That is a tight fit wiht the intake!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;the inline dual quads look great!!! I think you NEED my crossram though!!!! ROY.

11. Anodised?

Hell of a Falcon you have there.

12. I looked on McLeod website and they call it gold iridite. In any event I think I am going to paint it a cast blast color to look more like a cast steel bellhousing from back in the 60's!

13. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Hey Roy what's your crossram look like

14. 65COMET

65COMET

wayne421;it is an Edelbrock,looks clean,no broken corners or stripped threads,carb pads are set up for Holley carbs facing forward.The ports are very small,probably setup for early heads,not much room for bigger ports. ROY.

15. Falconred

Falconred

Whos 2x4 intake are you using? Will it take Holleys, they just look "badder" than Carters or Eld's. Either set up will look great, you are doing a great job, keep up the good work and maybe your dedication will rub off on me and I will hose off the inch of dust on my Comet project and get it going again.

16. I am using a factory ford dual quad from 1966. I am using Holley 450's chokless with mechanical 2ndaries have not decided yet if I am going to use the linkage with the carbs mounted backwards or with the carbs mounted forward... Once I get them in the next few days I will work on that! Get working on your car!! It's only money! I figured spend it now and have the car now or buy a couple pieces a month and build the car over a 10 year period. I choose now with overtime, budgeting and a 0% interest credit card that helps when it can't be paid off right away!

17. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Looking great. Enjoy following your build.

18. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Oh okay thought it mite look kool on my 406

19. 65COMET

65COMET

wayne421;OOPS,I didn't realize it was for a FE.Fast Eddie has a picture of a M/T crossram over on the 64/65 Comet thread. ROY.

20. I got your cross ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast Eddie

[​IMG]

21. Were Holman Moody and M/T competitors in the sixties, that is would you find Holman Moody and Mickey Thompson parts on the same car? I have been readin the Holman Moody Thread on here and it is interesting.

22. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Cool project! Can't wait to see more. I'm glad you said what carbs you are using. I picked up a dual manifold like that 20 years ago and I'm wanting to use it on my A.

Fast Eddie what does a manifold like that go for? I lost out on a Ebay auction a coupe of years ago. The look cool, but I would not even know what is good or not about them.

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I would LOVE to have that! Too bad I don't have some good trading material for you. Need an early 271 hp block?

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Fast Eddie;have you been in the shine again?That is a M/T small block manifold,wayne421 is looking for a FE manifold!!! ROY.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I'm sure they were competing,but the racers went with what worked or what they could get a deal on!! You could often see race cars with any number of parts manufacturers brands on them. ROY.

26. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

That's really cool didn't know they made one for a small block

27. Roy:

Got one of them to!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Hey Gang:

I look on e-bay from time to time and you can run across the FE one's, the Small Block one's are really hard to find. The two that I have are 4 hole instead of the open carb one's. I love the M/T stuff!!!!!!

Fast Eddie

29. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

I might be interested in the early Hipo block so e-mail me some details?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012