Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Got one of my seat mounts built and welding together, I was going to use the stock bucket seat tracks, but decided it was going to be difficult to mount my A100 seats to them. I spent a lot of time making brackets for the stock seat tracks, but oh well, the new set up is much sturdier and simplier, keep it simple!

I also started fitting the main roll bar hoop, getting it lined up with the stainless window trim from the back and front side windows, looking from the side directly you will not be able to see it. (thank you for the suggestion Roy).

Attached Files:

2. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;the seats look like they are kind of LOW! Have you sat in one to check position?John does not have measurements or angles for the rear bars,sorry. ROY.

4. Without my helmet or a headliner I have about 2-3 inches to the roof a most. The seat brackets I made are a little shorter than the factory ones to give me just a little more room so the roll bar is higher than my helmet and I meet all of Nhra s requirements

5. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Looks great ! i like the idea of lining up the roll bar with the window trim..

Rooster

6. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Glad to see your following the book.This way there will be no issue when it comes time to run.
    Your car is looking FANTASTIC!
    Brandon

7. Got the rear end back shortened, pinion center moved inline with the transmission and new Moser 31 spline axles. Finally after fabricating 3 different seat brackets for the A100 seats, I found one i like and works with the stock bucket seat brackets.

I was trying to overbuild and overdesign, when I thought back to what they would have done in 60's, make it light weight and simple ( i added safe to the equation.) I build a steel plate outof 10ga and it works great, I will post pictures in the next couple days. Started also fitting the main hoop now i got some seats to go off of for reference!

Attached Files:

8. Rear end installed, Seats installed on factory tracks with some fabricated metal plates, rear wheel well opened up slightly to follow the body line and fit the rear tires...PROGRESS....

Attached Files:

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Progress is a GOOD thing,COOL!!!! ROY.

10. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Wow,your Falcon is looking SO GOOD!!
    Brandon

11. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

12. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

13. Thanks for the encouragement. Building a racecar is a lot more fun than doing factory restorations, you guys are on to something here!!

14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

You might want to add a seat brace on your cross bar on the roll cage. I have those same seats and they are not very strong ,a couple good launches and the top bends.

15. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

16. II Funny, thanks for the advice. There are already threaded holes in the back of the seat for me to mount a brace to and I had considered doing it. Now I will for sure! How did you attach your seat belts to the cross brace? Did you weld some type of stop so they don't slide back and forth?

17. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

You should probably also think about making a removable head pad mounted to the cross bar. I believe its required.
    Brandon
    Also,I too put in some round stock "belt locators" to keep them from sliding around.
    Hope you can see them in the pic.
    [​IMG]
    Brandon

18. Novas thank you for the pictures. I was going to do round bar at least that's the plan I had in my head for the seat belts but it's nice to see in a picture. I also had planned on the head rest, Roy told me this would be required with low back seats. And it's just a good idea since we don't have the advantage of leaning forward like in the sixties when they only wore lap belts to help with the rearward force! I am definetly a ford guy but I can appreciate great looking cars and you have a nice one!

19. So I finished the rear wheel lip with some pieces of 18ga I had. I still need to do a little shaping. I think i only moved it forward maybe an inch, but it looks good. I also took out the old engine/ trans. I wish I had another car that needed an engine, because this thing runs nice. This week the car is going to the roll cage guy to the the chris alstons kit installed. Also I ordered some SPI epoxy primer and 2k surfacer primer which should be here by friday... maybe get some primer on it soon!

I received my McLeod bellhousing and Dougs headers in the last couple days too. I did have a Lakewood bell, but got a great deal on the McLeod and I like the iradited (sp?) color better and sent the Lakewood back. Depending on who you talk to the McLeod is supposed to fit better too.

Attached Files:

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;the wheel well lip is similar to what I did with my wagon.Now that the engine is out get rid of the weldin supports and get a bolt in style,you WILL be happy you did!!!!Give me a shout if you need help loading the car. ROY.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;did you get the Falcon dropped off? ROY.

22. I will be dropping it off Tuesday morning, it's the fist time he has availability .

23. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Been following the build. Dig the direction your going. Its looking really good!

24. 60 ford

60 ford

Your build is coming along great.

25. Thanks for the compliments, it is really a fun car to build, like I said before I have done stock restorations in the past. It's fun to build something where there are no rules per se, other than the safety rules.

26. 6 Point cage installed. I still have to have the shop make some seat braces that attach to the rear of the seat/ cross bar. I had them install seat belt loops and a headrest pad. The swing outs were installed and fit perfectly. The back bars follow the roof line so well you can't even see them when looking at the car from the side. The main hoop is almost disguised with the side window and front window trim pieces when they are rolled up. I am really happy with the job the shop did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;stock type factory seats do not have to be supported by the cage,my Sunbird seats were never an issue! Not saying you can't,your call,just not required.Jim's guy does great work,you setup looks great!! ROY.

28. Yea I know the seat brace is not necesarry, but I think it would help alot upon acceleration. The four little bolts through flimsy sheet metal dont make me feel super secure, but with the addition of a back brace, I should be good.

29. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Why no bars from the hoop to the subframe connectors? 2 main functions of a roll bar/cage. 1)safety of course 2) tieing the whole body together so you do not loose energy through flex.
    Brandon

30. Novas, I did order the 8pt cage and still have the pieces to go from the cross bar into the trans tunnel connecting to the subframe connectors. I have not installed the connectors yet. It was just personal preference to go without those bars for now. Once I get the car going and if I feel I will benefit from them I can always add them. I think alot of people can overbuild a cage for the application. I just wanted the best protection, the right look and good performance. I will see how fast the car runs with my combo first then go on from there.

loveoftiki likes this.