Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I am really surprised that the Hurst was not up to the task with the top loader..I was making 7k wot shifts only saying because if a woose like me could do it any one can, think I missed 2nd once...What are you using for a clutch, actuation/linkage?

2. The way the falcon shifter mounts so far forward, it makes for a Long shift handle and a long throw. If I could have a shorter handle it would work better. A vertigate shifter is just superior in speed and ease of use.

I have a center force dual friction, but have a mcleod softlok on deck .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I keep telling you to get rid of the street clutch!! And Headers!!! ROY.

ec164 likes this.
  4. From Bakersfield last Friday at the test and tune. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410581116.138246.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410581125.404913.jpg

BHoover, ec164 and powrshftr like this.
  5. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Hey Mike good Job, although Roy is right on a bigger camshaft. If your willing to do traps at 7200 I would leave it in 2nd and third until then also. Thanks for sharing next time out you'll be in the 11s......
    Those headers above look great!..........Al
    NICE AIR too Mike!

6. New shifter installed, now I gotta make some rods for it! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410921770.747003.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410921782.662878.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410921793.497043.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  7. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Damm pretty serious shifter...looks like prostock shifter...cool !

8. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I agree very nice shifter mike!...........Al

9. It's the same one Roy's been running for years, maybe I'll be able to shift better now!

10. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Mike I see you have the radio block off, but if you want another-someone just posted one in the FE Forum classifieds......Al

11. Hey Al, I checked out that forum and it's it a guy looking to buy one, not for sale. Thanks for keeping an eye out though!

Moved my water pump and fan switches to where the headlight and windshield wiper switched were. Now all my switches look the same. Got one shift rod made as well.

My old switch panel I made out of a glove box door is for sale $30 plus shipping, one of a kind and has more money than that in the switches and lights! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411266330.525243.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411266340.092273.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411266352.876728.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411266360.777433.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411266371.495178.jpg

12. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Clean look and will save you some weight!.....Al

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Seeing as how it is a 'RACE CAR' now,lose the back seat,door panels,that will shed some weight!100 pound loss = 1/10 of a second in ET!!!!!Put a light weight [EXPENSIVE] Jerico in there and lose even more weight + you can shift it faster!! It's only money!!!!! ROY.

ec164 likes this.
  14. I don't think my back seat, carpet and door panels weigh 35 pounds! I have my soft lok clutch, just gotta save my money for a motor go through and new bellhousing.

15. Custom made motor torque strap! Thanks for the idea Roy ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411521798.828558.jpg

16. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Beefy looking shifter, also just checked the runs on the page before and that motor sounds like it's pulling hard!

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Needs WAY more launch RPMs,needs to wing that little 302 to make it work right!!! ROY.

MUNCIE likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

You will probably bend that hemi end... ask me how I know. The best way is to get it mounted straight not on an angle if you can.

1947knuck likes this.
  19. powrshftr

powrshftr

I just made my driver's side mount a solid mount with two pieces of flat stock and ten minutes with a stick welder.

I'm kind of a cheap bastard though....lol

Mike,yours looks a bunch nicer than mine!
    Looking forward to more video of your car once the Long shifter is ready to go!:)

Scott

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Scott;to me,you are not a "cheap bastard",I think that is great that you can build your own stuff!!! Not everyone has the tools or time [or talent] to build their own parts!! I like the fact that I can build a lot of my own stuff [wish I could do more],to me that is very satisfying!!! ROY.

21. loudbang

loudbang

Yea yea you guys are all snickering about my warning. But in all seriousness the way that is mounted at that angle you are applying bending force to the bolt, hole in the head and hemi body not counteracting the left to right motion of the engine (well some but not very efficiently) your two things, limiter and engine twist, are not in the same plane. What you are effectively doing is applying force that will try and bend those parts not pull in a straight line on the bolt and limiter.

A simple demonstration would be to put a length of metal welding rod or something in a vice and put a finger around it right close to the vice jaws and try and pull directly back on it at a right angle and you probably can't bend it unless you are built like a gorilla.

Now slide your finger out from the jaws and try and bend it not just pull straight on it and you will see just how much more bending motion on your parts you are getting the greater the angle from right angle. That is what is happening to your parts.

I see where you have some space limitations but even extending it to the shock tower above the sender would be ideal. Get it where you want then replace the bolts through the hemi ends with large pins with small clevis pins in then so you can remove it in seconds.

Even if you are not convinced that the torque you are trying to contain is all that much think about those photos of 59 chevies with the drivers side front wheel off the ground on launch while the rest of the wheels are on the ground that is the type of forces you are trying to control.

If you are still not convinced at least look carefully at your setup and even take measurements BEFORE you try anything then fire it up at home before going to the strip and line lock the front wheels and bump up against the brakes a few times like you were launching but don't.

Then go back and see if anything is bending before you start your day out on the strip with full power launches.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    1947knuck likes this.
  22. 65COMET

65COMET

I ran that same combo for 20+ years,that is where Mike got the idea,NEVER had any bending or flexing problems.I stole the idea from a 67 427 4-speed Cyclone,he still runs his!Mike is basically holding the engine from rocking on the mounts,which that system does! ROY.

23. loudbang

loudbang

Roy the build of the apparatus looks fine. The only thing that I have concerns about is the angle it is mounted at.

1947knuck likes this.
  24. This was just the first thing that I found at b&b that looked like it might work. One end is a closed loop, the other end is an open hook. A fixed loop goes through the sway bar mount and the hook end goes through it. We will see how it works!

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Where is the hemi? I would be concerned for the hook end spreading but see what happens, to be anal I would not have any front to back angle but what you have should be fine..
    My engine is set back so much that I had the shifter mounted to a bracket bolted to the trans using the top cover bolts, shifter arms were right between the trans arms, rods were strait and of course only about 3" long..Pretty direct I guess so worked well for me..Reverse however was a challenge, needed some linkage there..Wish I had some pics but not even internet back then!! A friend with a fairlane went from comp plus to Hurst Verti gate and it was a big difference even in stock location, you'll love it.!! He had short fingers and was uncomfortable to get into first:rolleyes:.. The soft lock from what I've read should be great for launch but have no clue what its like at high rpm against the centrifugal weights..Keep at it, wish I was there..

26. 65COMET

65COMET

There is NO real extreme pressure on the torque link,all it does is keep the engine from pulling up on the DS motor mount!! Like I stated,I ran that same combo for years,never had any issues!! I have solid engine mounts now!! ROY.

27. Made some good progress today, almost got the tunnel cover done. The shift rods are done, had to cut and reeled the reverse arm on the transmission to work properly. Got a new clutch rod, from the pedal to the zbar, that is a 5/8 outside diameter threaded tube with Heim joints. Feels so much better and weighs half as much as the stock threaded rod. Got the header extensions on and welded the bungs for the pan-evac system to them. Just gotta work on securing my side windows then I should be ready to race! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412139349.416729.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412139373.247629.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412139390.632032.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412139402.318695.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412139414.117457.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412139431.386046.jpg

ec164 and powrshftr like this.
  28. Muttley

Muttley

Did you get my PM?

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mike,
    I really like that clutch rod you got.
    Where did you find something like that?

Scott

30. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thanks for taking the extra time to post pics of your work. I enjoy checking out your progress.