Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

SOUNDS LIKE A TRACTION LOCK OR LIMITED SLIP HUB... should be held together by 3 bolts not the ring bolts,,, you can use a press to hold it for re-assembly........ any piks of it ?

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Futura63;I'm not sure what make it is,it is definitley NOT a Detroit Locker[have had two of those in 4X4s].I used a tool I made for rebuilding my Detroit Lockers to help me assemble it,it has two big springs,one on either side of the locking device,the 'locker' is a splined center hub with matching splined hubs on either side that have blocks and openings that match blocks and openings on the center hub! I' not sure how it works as a differential,looks more like it is locked in place!!! It is all back together,Mike is supposed to come get it today [Wednesday]!!! ROY.

3. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Is that a 8 inch set-up or 9 inch? Sounds like the older 8, a traction lock from 9 inch is not like that either. At least the right guy was on the job, my friend and I have had some real fun trying to get used 12 bolt gears to have decent pattern......Al

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;it is a 9",factory "N" case,not sure what that locker is called[I called it a few things],never seen anything like it!It took some head scratching and more than a few cuss words,but I finally got a decent gear pattern!! ROY.

5. It was sold to me as a Detroit locker... I'm not sure what it is, but when you turn sharp or go in reverse it clacks and lets you know it's a locker! Thanks again Roy, I wouldn't be racing without your constant help.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;unless Detroit Lockers have changed A LOT,that is not a Detroit Locker,I have rebuilt two of them!! You missed some good food and A LOT of bench racing,but NO on track racing!! ROY.

7. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Mike have you ever weighed your car? If so. how much does it weigh?.......Al

8. Exactly 2820 without me. I have added the fire system since I weighed it and the injection.

9. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thanks, it had me wondering after reading and hearing AFX Dave say that Doug Nash got his 65' BFX car down to 2300, and from factory they were 2600 w/a cast iron 4 spd., 60 less with aluminum one. Did you work hard at a diet plan when building? Of course a Comet is slightly longer than yours too!......Al

10. I have a fiberglass hood, fiberglass fenders and a fiberglass front bumper. I still have the full steel doors, full interior with roll cage, the bellhousing and flywheel are good for probably at least 100 lbs!! I did lose about 25 lbs taking off the front cragars too.

So to answer, no I have not done too much in the weight savings arena.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;Dave claims they were so light because of the seam sealer delete,fiberglass fenders,hood,doors,trunk lid,bumpers and plexyglass windows,heater & radio delete,lightweight seats,rear seat delete among a few other things.My Comet had to weigh 2985 when I raced in Stock Eliminator so I guess it could be done.My Comet,before the 351W switch,weighed 2985 after the fiberglass fenders,hood and front bumper,gutted steel doors,fixed in place Lexan side windows,aluminum floors,trunk,tubs,a lot of the firewall and aluminum seats,magnesium Jerico,aluminum driveshaft,aluminum headed 347,it does have a 12 point mild steel DOM cage.The heater & radio are long gone as is most of the seam sealer and insulation.I guess the fiberglass doors,trunk and rear bumper could save 300lbs! ROY.

12. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thanks again Mike, that 25# off the front end in just rims was a good place to loose it!

Roy glad you stepped in, so all in all yours now with the truck motor and rest of lightening you've done is how much? With all these questions, yes I'm just trying to get a grasp of mine, I don't have scales and it is so incomplete to bother anyway, I do have most parts, just not installed (less drive-train) I'm shooting for 3000 done with me. I have much cage, all steel floors including trunk, no glass doors or fenders, but no sound stuff, seam sealer, heater, wipers,aluminum seats,basic thin carpet.
    Thanks again Al

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I have not had it on the scales since I put the Windsor in.All my weights were just the car,not with me in it,I would guess with my fat ass in the seat,3280! I trust the scales a Bakersfield because they have to weigh all the Pro-cars to make sure they make weight! ROY.

14. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Roy you can make a guy laugh! Well I'm hoping to be at or near Mike so with me installed w/helmet and suit will be at or near 1 and a half ton. I'm near lots of elevators here in farm country, so during transport one of these days I'll drag the trailer across the open scale and again on way home. Just so much trim on a Caliente plus interior panels etc. its a hard call how much you will add. So far with what I have removed the boxes are near 113#s, thats not including wipers heater box&motor, controls and cables, ash tray, all switches. I'm sure with us having same car they will be very close. Okay Mike you can have your thread back!:).....Al

15. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Yukon Grizzly locker maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSKsRNvXVs

16. 65COMET

65COMET

bluebolt;that looks like the locker in Mike's Falcon except it does NOT use side gear[spiders],other than that it looks the same!!! Thanks for posting the link!! ROY.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I had a guy shoot a bunch of pictures of my hood Friday at the GNRS.He said a friend is building a 64 Falcon,told him about your Falcon and the hood on it,said his friend can't decide between a Teardrop of the Twin Snorkle hoods!!!I told him you were to have your Falcon there,but work got in the way!! ROY.

18. Sounds like its a good thing work got in the way, by your description of things!

Starting to collect parts for my engine rebuild, including this new front cover that allows the fuel pump to be run off the cam instead of a belt.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391556350.596179.jpg

I am also looking at adding a Long pistol grip vertigate shifter to my top loader. Anyone have experience with this?

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;what do you do for a water pump?I got word that Building 3 will NOT be used anymore,will NOT hurt my feelings!!!Did you get my e-mail about the chrome? ROY.

20. I had the timing cover tapped for AN fittings in the water jackets at the front of the block. Then will run two AN lines to a remote water pump mounted on the frame rail, drivers side. My water pump is a 3 piece and made to be used as a remote pump. It's the same way Todd Hoffman has his 427 ran... Either that or switch to alcohol which runs cooler!!

Yes I got your email, I can't remover the name either. I will have to search back through my receipts

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;thanks for the info!!!No problem with the plastic chrome people,when ever you find it,no hurry!! ROY.

22. At the March Meet right now. Ran 12.41@ 113 on Friday. Ran 12.80 @ 112 and won first round Saturday. 60ft time fell off causing the slower time. Second round is tomorrow. Missing Roy and Dale out here for moral support! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394332871.336604.jpg

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mike,
    You have REALLY got the car working!:)
    Nice job!

Scott

24. 65COMET

65COMET

I feel that Old Falcon has A LOT more in it,just needs some more tweaking and seat time!!! ALL the FALCONS with FORD engines won their first round races!!!! ROY.

25. Last run was my best run of 12.28 at 113. I was late on the tree and broke out in second round.
    For those not on Facebook here is my 12.41 run
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ8LngsI7iQ&sns=em

26. Got a new part I need to install..... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394601691.722970.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394601709.887411.jpg
    Need Roy the master trans tunnel fabricator to assist on this one

27. loudbang

loudbang

Does anyone powershift anymore?

1947knuck likes this.
  28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Watching that video and looking at the mph its running I would say that car will run 11:70's soon.

29. I think so... Just gotta shift right!

30. SOHC427

SOHC427

Nice work Mike!
    That little car is gonna go a lot faster, down the road.

Really nice build,
    Eric