Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 dodge a100 truck project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rev106, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Abomination

Abomination

Are you running a poly in that thing?

~Jason

2. rev106

rev106

no, it's a 1970 318 from a van.

3. rev106

rev106

this thing was a salvage title and had been rearended, not a good platform to start with. In retrospect, I should have started with a nicer one and it would have cost me less in the long run. check my photos for pics of my econoline...

4. keep the pic's coming dude,that truck is going to be great. glad to see one being brought back to life.

5. rev106

rev106

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At some point in the trucks life a beam or pole landed on the roof and put a crease in it (see above pics). Here is some detail of the roof being put back to rights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The factory taillights look like plastic coasters from the 60's. they are sub-par. We used big rig LED lights from Harbor Freight (10 bucks each) and some plastic chrome tuner car bolt on air intake bezels that Bob cut down to mate with the truck perfectly. Custom taillights for under 40 bucks anyone?

more on:

http://flickr.com/photos/17534977@N00/

6. Nice...aren't you getting sick of this thing...I'll do ya a favor and take it off your hands...looking good

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Look closer......it is striped!:p
    Did it last summer.:D

Rev.....lookin' GOOD! Dig the taillights.....

8. rev106

rev106

uh...no!

More to come.

9. rev106

rev106

I just picked up this NOS grille chromed for 300 bucks. Cool eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DRD57

DRD57

The stock bumpers for these always look like they're wavy to me. I always wondered if 56 F100 bumpers would work.

11. rev106

rev106

I'm going to run Volkswagen nerf bars for now, but some kind of blade or split bumper would be cool on these trucks.

12. ron0257

ron0257

I have no idea how I missed this thread! I was cleaning my room and thinking about the crappy taillights on my truck, so I googled A100 taillights. Glad I did! Great truck! Here's mine:

[​IMG]

13. rev106

rev106

[​IMG]

I went on the Dodge A100 Yahoo group and there was a post about a guy trying to sell a NOS grille that was chromed for 300 bucks. An NOS grille would be worth it alone and the chroming would be a couple hundred bucks so I figured it was worth it. I talked to the guy and he said a lot of people talked but no one came through as of yet. I only have Mondays off so I said if he still had it by Monday I'd make the drive to the OC to pick it up. As soon as I got home I put it on, I'd say it was worth the money and time...you?
    The truck has now been block sanded and is in it's final stages before paint. I bumped into one of the mirrors and it broke so they are out and I'm going to source some new mirrors for the truck. I had the trans rebuilt and did a tune up to get it running better. I have take it back again...The trans leaks like a siv. Not happy. Leon's Transmission came highly recommended but they really dropped the ball on my truck, I had to bring it back three times because of this horrible grinding sound. They told me it was the drive shaft, then the angle of the drive shaft, then some other thing that I had to "fix" to no avail. All along it was the shift cable not completely disengaging causing the parking gear to drag. Would you be happy to pay 1500.00 dollars for a leaky transmission? I think not.

[​IMG]
    New door hinge assembly welded into place.
    [​IMG]
    The body had to go though some extensive cutting to make the grille fit correctly. We dared not cut the grille, but make small incisions in the truck body to make the grill fit. Bob is an automotive surgeon! The Nerf bars came from a VW shop, they need some finishing work before they are done.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the truck in many coats of primer, it's been blocked several times at this point and will need to be blocked again before the final paint job is done.
    [​IMG]
    Radio Bob demonstrating his technique.
    [​IMG]
    This truck had been rear ended, now the gaps on the tailgate are better than factory.

14. rev106

rev106

[​IMG]
    Here's the tailgate, the rest of the truck should follow this color scheme.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The inside door panels and the dash. Sparkly goodness!
    [​IMG]
    More flakiness.
    [​IMG]
    You have to paint the doors standing upright or the flake will stand different than if you painted them on a flat surface. That's why they're hung up like they are.
    [​IMG]
    Bob made metal posts and skirted the whole truck to the floor so the hose from the spray gun won't get hung up on the masking. Clever.

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow!!! dig the color!!

16. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

17. rev106

rev106

it's walt disney gold

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

19. melsfine39

melsfine39

Great looking truck! Always been a fan of A100's . I had a 64 Dodge van,same basic design. Here are some photos of my friend Art's 5 window A100 Hotwheels wheelie truck. The pictures show the 440 with fuel injection but he has since changed to a 8-71 blower. The truck made it on Pinks at Milan Michigan and on Pinks all out. A very short clip but a excellent wheel stand. Mel:D

Attached Files:

20. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I can't wait to see the finished product! Looks like i am gonna have to subscribe to this one!

21. rev106

rev106

It's been a long road but the time and the expense are worth the wait.

what I started with:

[​IMG]

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

This lil' truck is SOOO cool....coming along really nice...
    Killer work Rev!

Uhh....look closer Greg...haha

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

man, that's looking better all the time!!

24. After seeing it without the grill in on the first page, I thought it would look bitchin with some chevy teeth floating in that hole...

25. Muttley

Muttley

Doood, that is awesome. Hurry up and finish it, we need more pictures.

26. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

You must have a lot of trash to haul to the dump.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  27. dotcentral

dotcentral

I forgot about this thread. The tailgate is incredible. Can't wait to see more photos.

28. Big Dad

Big Dad

Wow, that truck is coming along great !!

I can't wait to see the final results !!

29. colemanperf2010

colemanperf2010

Thats going to be pretty sexy. What type wheels, Rockets, Radirs, American Racing, or Chrome Reverse wheels?