Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 chevy c10 rear end questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-man313, Aug 6, 2013.

1. D-man313

D-man313

I just picked up a 64 fleetside shortbed project. The rear end housing has been sandblasted and painted by the PO. It is just the bare housing, No internals. What would I have to do to get 5X4 and 3/4 Bolt pattern axles with say a 3.73 posi center section? Can I go to the local junkyard and pull the axles and center section out of something with a 12 bolt the same width? Order something aftermarket? Are all 12 bolt housings the same? All 12 bolt centers the same? Where would I measure from to get an idea of what I need to look for at the junk yard?

Basically to simplify. Can I go get a 12 bolt the same width and bolt the whole unit in? Would it be cheaper to pull the internals and put them in my housing?

Thanks
    David
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no crossover that I know of that will give you what you want, out of the junkyard.

Re-drill, or aftermarket axles would get you there, if you are intent on keeping the housing.

If all you have is a naked housing, with no guts, you are going to have to get all that, and then have the gears set up properly. The setup alone will cost more than replacing the complete axle, with something that will suit your needs better.

3. D-man313

D-man313

Ive been looking at the guys that re-drilled or put aftermarket conversion axels in, and they're getting 5x5 bolt pattern. I already have a set of wheels and tires that I would like to use that are 5x4 3/4.

Are all 12 bolts the same centers? Can I just buy a center section for any 12 bolt? and then buy axels with the bolt pattern I want?

4. voodoo1

voodoo1

Yup, you're better hitting a yard and finding a complete rear end. Easier in the long run.

5. stimpy

stimpy

have fun trying to find a 12 bolt specially a old truck 12 bolt around Chicago in a yard , the last several china steel rushes have cleaned them out , for the guts and axles try strange or moser , they carry the older stuff . strange engineering is on the north side . and there tech guys can answer your questions .

6. D-man313

D-man313

Looks like ill be taking some measurements and hitting the junk yards.

7. slammed

slammed

I have a posi for that. Center pumpkin only. You will need axles, hubs, backing plates, ect. Then the axles re-drilled for your intended bolt pattern. A whole rear end should turn up for you in any of the near by towns. The front already converted to 5x4 3/4?

8. D-man313

D-man313

Havent converted the front yet. Just asking some questions so I know what to keep an eye out for.

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

What they said, easier and cheaper to sell what you have and buy a complete setup.

10. I do not believe you will find a GM truck rearend with a 5x4 3/4 pattern to it, except for S10. That may make finding something that works simpler, but it won't be a bolt-in.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Axle perches for the control arms are easy to get, and the panhard bar bracket is pretty easy to cut off.

12. D-man313

D-man313

Will a Gm 12 bolt out of a car work?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the width is right, yes. If I remember correctly, you axle is about 64" wide, measured at the wheel mounting surfaces.

14. 71-2 half ton has five bolt pattern. I "think" it's a bolt-in, but a little wider. Swapping the front to five bolt then is easy - just change to 73-87 front spindles using the newer ball joints.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah it is 5-lug, but not 5-on-4-3/4". It is 5-on-5".

16. voodoo1

voodoo1

With that rear you can get the axels re drilled for 5x4 3/4. Then you're done and ready to roll.

17. D-man313

D-man313

That's the thing. I have just an empty housing. No center section or axles.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. D-man313

D-man313

I know I can get custom axels made and buy a new center section, but don't want to spend that kind of money. If I found the right one, I could buy a complete rear end from the junk yard for less then what a new center section from moser would be.

19. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Oh, the 12 bolt truck rear. It's different from car rears as it has a 12 spline axel and greatly reduces the choices in posi units ($$$$). I cancelled the 12 and went with a 9 inch. I have the 12 and will offer it to you for $1.00. It's complete drum to drum and was running just fine when I pulled it ( drove it for 2 years). No gear noise, clunks or chatters. The brakes were good. The oil was clean. 3.73 open, 62 inches wheel surfaces.
    Oh, I'll forgive the dollar as it will be a 5 hour haul to central Ohio.
    If you want it PM me.

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Car and truck are differant thay take differant ring and pinion.
    Do you have the caps and are thay marked?

21. D-man313

D-man313

On the 9inch did you leave the ford bolt pattern or have them redrilled for Chevy?

Im thinking that ill just have to take some measurements and see if I can pull a complete rear end from the bone yard.

22. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

The truck's got a volare front end so the for pattern matches.
    Forgot to say the rear is a 63.

23. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I'm kind of guessing that your asking me this question. The answer is yes I have two a 63 and a 70 truck. Please excuse me if I misread this.