Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Chevy C10 Fleetside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Mar 16, 2013.

1. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

There is no shroud on the 64 I recently bought from an original owner and no sign of it ever having had one.

2. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"
    I honestly don't know how I got home that day driving 80 miles like this. She rode fine though...."
    Because she has a soul and she trusts that you are going to make her "all better". Some rides know these kind of things.

You're doing well. Maintain your course.
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah it also knows that I have other project cars and wants to sap all of my money from them too.:D:D:D

Yeah I got the carb tuned in so this thing was running really well just a few minutes ago... actually, it was running exceptionally. I took it around the block about 4 to 5 times (about 2 miles worth of driving). I learned my lesson to always park it in the garage in case it wants to take a dump in the driveway... that way I don't have to lie in the gravel and try to get comfortable while working under it (lesson learned from the starter mishap).

The wife was nice enough to park her car so it wasn't in front of the open bay without me even asking. pretty sweet! So I get the pickup in the garage, pop the hood so I can view the steam and there wasn't any!!

Then... pop..... followed closely with a hiss.... the radiator now has a tiny pin hole and was shooting hot coolant all over my air compressor.. son of a.... it is one inch from the bottom and 2 inches in too.....

It's an easy fix and now I will have piece of mind while driving it now that the radiator is good. I will go through and install my triple gauge set too so that I can see what is going on with everything.

Gah, what a day... it was 80 out today and it was nice to at least drive it for a little bit.

4. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

Nice truck!! I had a 65 swb stepside 2 years ago. Sold it for 9500 bucks but it was a rust free virgin metal 46000 mile Oregon truck. Your motor's a 230. The 250 came out in 66 IIRC. Biggest improvement you can make to how it runs is install an HEI distributor. One of the reasons you run a little warm is due to the stock timing. Try bumping yours up to 12 degrees initial. I see you have the heavy duty rad though. THat helps. Have you changed out the bottom rad hose. They get soft and collapse. A wire coil inside the hose helps that problem.
    Did you find some carb linkage clips?

5. 1959apache

1959apache

Cool man. The front clip engine and tranny and most components came from a 66. It is a 250 though and runs really well. I will have to check into an hei down the road a little. I am trying to not to turn this into my project truck if I can help It.

I drained the coolant and removed the hoses. The are only about a year old so that is good. I will pull the radiator tomorrow and drop it off and the shop.

6. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I finally got word back from the radiator shop and the radiator has 26 pinholes between where the top cap and the tubes go into the top cap, which can't be repaired and there are 10-15 random holes throughout the whole thing, also can't be repaired, and the whole reason why I brought it in there (the huge leak) is also not able to be repaired... so it looks like I am screwed. So I bought a radiator from RockAuto, its a 3 core, so we will see how that works.

Also, I installed my new voltage regulator and my new engine wiring harness on the drivers side and now I do not have anymore charging problems, any issues with loss of power, and no more generator light causing me problems.

[​IMG]

Then I got stiffed by State Farm insurance company on this being a classic/antique car... they turned it down because there is a 1 inch scratch of the rear bumper that has oxidized into rust... also, they said the paint doesn't match from the entire top to the bottom.... it is the same color, just the top needs to be buffed and they were bothered about the tear in the seam of the seat, which I have since covered with a Mexican blanket. All disqualifies it from being insured with them. I insure my house with them and two other OT cars and have 4 HAMB friendly cars and trucks that I was going to insure with them. The dude that is doing the claims for these cars isn't a car guy and is a complete choad, so I guess I am going to be shopping for another insurance company... they have lost my business. You would think with several things insured with them they would at least work with you on a couple things. Instead they alienated me and started being nit picky about stuff where I know for a fact that they don't do that with other customers with vehicles in the same shape. I advised them of this and they want to give me the cold shoulder, so f^&% them.

7. LostHope

LostHope

I believe these trucks did come with fan shrouds from what i remember reading on the 60-66 truck forum,earlier years 60-62 had a round metal shroud( looks like a section cut out of a metal barrel) and later years 63-66 had a plastic style shroud...I found this out when I was researching shrouds for these trucks and ordered a new shroud for my 65.....im not running one on my 66 yet it stays cool so far with a new radiator but when money allows ill be putting one on it...you can order a shroud from LMC, BROTHERS, ORANGE TRUCK SHOP.....
    In your pictures you can actually see the tin/metal fan shroud extensions coming off each side of your radiator support with holes where the fan shroud bolts up to..

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=33

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FS01803

theres either 3 or 4 bolt holes on each side:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  8. 1959apache

1959apache

Good spot, it doesn't look like they give you much room there, do you have pictures of your truck?

9. LostHope

LostHope

I dont have pictures of my 65 anymore and dont own the truck anymore, but did find you this picture off the chevy truck forum ...its a v8 but will mount the same once you take that 8" aluminum fan spacer off your water pump LOL:
    [​IMG]

10. Motoswiz

Motoswiz

Very Nice, am looking for one here in N. Florida, wife wants one of her own for daily driver...

11. Hey LostHope,

I know you've been around quite a few of these C10s, have you ever actually seen a stocker with an unmolested shroud on it? I'm just wondering because you're in a warmer climate than I normally am, but, I've NEVER seen a C10-20-30 with a fan shroud on it. I know the factory service manuals show they have one, but, I've never seen one. Most of them I look at don't even have tattle-tale marks at the holes you have highlighted showing that they had one removed in years past. I'm sort of thinking that since they shared so many parts with the COEs that they probably put shrouds on all the COEs, and just put shrouds on some of the standard pickups. I know I can tell for certain that my '64 C10 has never had one on it. Strange.

12. Phil 41 Chevy

Phil 41 Chevy

My stock 66 c10 has a shroud, looks original to me.:cool:

13. LostHope

LostHope

Sorry if were turning your thread into a truck shroud thread, but heres some threads with info you might like to read!

Bodi- Everyone on the truck forum says its RARE to have a factory shroud still! the factory stock 64 half ton my buddy pulled out of a barn locally to me from the owner that bought it new had a shroud on it, it was a California truck from the Fremont plant , thats the only truck ive seen with my own eyes that had a factory shroud ,besides seeing factory trucks with shrouds posted on the truck forum..I dont know for sure if they only put shrouds on at certain plants or if all trucks came with shrouds, but i know its a pain in the ass to install one on a 63-66 truck...and most trucks end up getting a sbc 350 conversion some where along the life of the truck who knows how many people just said screw it and didnt put them back on....I also read alot about guys having broken shrouds and asking how to repair them, so that may play a factor with trucks missing shrouds because the bak-o-lite/pastic material breaks after time and peole probably just take them off...this is just my assumption anyways...

heres a couple threads off the truck forum...

this one has info and pictures of 1960-1962 fan shrouds, there were 3 different types depending on your engine and trans type truck:
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=364381&highlight=factory+fan+shroud

heres a thread on the 63-66 fan shroud:
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563714&highlight=factory+fan+shroud

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  14. On the shroud deal......Pic shows the same one since bought new in 65.

Attached Files:

15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Most likely the shroud was an option. If so everybodys right.
    A wise man once said, "Trust but verify."
    You need to run the #s on the block to confirm exactly what engine you have. I would do the same to the transmission if accessable. I would also run the trucks VIN to find out it's original configuration. The PO might not have known the 66 donor truck had a engine & trans swap in 1973.
    It's unlikely, but you may find the build sheet. The build sheet was usually placed under the seat, in the door or behind the gas tank. Most folks think that it's trash and throw it away. There is a lot of info on a build sheet.

I had a 250 powerglide car in high school, a 70 Malibu with a 68 engine and transmission. You could tune that 250 and have it running like a watch on Sunday. By Thursday it was crap. The distributor was worn and she would not hold a tune. This and the carburetor created a tail chase. Set the timing she improved, adust the carb she improved, timing, carb, timing carb. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it never dawned on me that the dizzy was shot.
    So do not get tunnel vision. If you find yourself chasing your tail, think what it might be.

16. You would be correct on the build sheet.....Although.....I have TWO in front of me from the same truck. One was handed to my POP when purchased,and the other was behind the fuel tank when"restoration" began.No where in the sheet does it mention a shroud. Just the factory options listed,but I do know for a fact that it was ordered with ONE sun visor,and a cig lighter=my MOM bitched at my POP for that.It also has ONE armrest on the DRIVERS side only. Possibly dealer additions towards the factory for the build.Also- a driver's side mirror only.
    They did goofy shit back then,and I believe that a dealer could actually communicate with Detroit to order specific options. But- My POP's(my) truck was built in OAKLAND,(45mi.away)that it might have been easier to add things to any model truck.
    Anyways- It was a 283,custom C-10 with the low ass 4sp.
    Options were endless.....
    maybe,just maybe.....reaching some, that they didn't come with 6cyls?
    IDK.Anyone?

Besides all that-The build is comming out great,and looking to see it done!

17. 4444Design

4444Design

cool find - like those unmolested untouched ones ...

18. 1959apache

1959apache

does anyone know how to find out where to get the build sheet? I would like to try to find how "special" this truck really is, it seems to have strange things that are stock as well.

19. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah it is, I got lucky on this one.

20. 1959apache

1959apache

Why would I be upset when I asked the question? :D:D:D

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The build sheet may be under the seat in the door or behind and under the gas tank. Like I said, in most cases it has been thrown away by a PO.
    Decoding the factory VIN will tell you a lot.

22. 1959apache

1959apache

So I just got the radiator from RockAuto... the box had the hell kicked out of it, the top radiator hose tube was pushed in an angled at 30 degrees, something is rattling around in there and it sounds like a bolt in a coffee can, a ton of fins are torn and damaged... called them up and they said, "no problem, we will ship you another free of charge, fix that one up, scrap it, or keep it... we don't care, we don't want it back. We are sending one tonight, shipping is obviously free". That blows that I can't drive it this weekend, but early next week I will be able to and I won't have to worry about rushing a couple fixes...

I bought a mexican blanket seat cover and a triple gauge set last night and will install it this weekend.

23. 1959apache

1959apache

I will post some pictures tonight, but I got the triple gauge set installed and the seat cover on there. I need to finish up hooking the gauge set to the engine and then I will be good to go. The new radiator should be in tomorrow, then I will take her for a spin and maybe post a video.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

Here are the pictures as promised:

Hooked up are the gauges and the seat cover is installed. The wiring is finished and all I am waiting on is the radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Looks good man. Those saddle seat covers have covered a many of those seats. There's a good chance you'll see one when you open the door of a 60-66 or 67-72 GM truck. I still remember the pockets on the front of my dad's 70 Chevrolet K20 being loaded with casette tapes from The Outlaws, ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn and everything else of the era.

26. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks bodi, yeah my dad had one in out '69 when I was a kid. That reminds me.... I need to find some cassette tapes at goodwill :p

27. 1959apache

1959apache

I worked on getting the radiator installed tonight and everything else set up. I need to run some new ends on the tranny cooler area, they are different from the other radiator.... too long and the ends are kind of messed up, so I will head to napa tomorrow and grab another NPT nipple and fix it up. I will take her for a spin tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that this thing is done nickel and diming me for now.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

What did you use for transmission lines? I hope you didnt use fuel line....fuel line will break down internally from the transmission fluid over time

29. 1959apache

1959apache

The transmission lines look like they are brake line and the rubber hose is transmission hose, so it can handle what it is being used for.

I had to remove the spacer for the fan because of where the tranny cooler line ports are on the radiator... In doing that I have to go through and shorten one of the lines completely and then make sure it has a really tight radius.... I decided to go with tranny line and a nipple instead because I can clear what I need to clear without damaging anything or have it come in contact with the fan.

30. 1959apache

1959apache

So I have everything put back together. Everything is good now. I have to tweak a couple things but I am satisfied with it. The gauges work great and the engine is running about 160 to 190. It is also running about 40 lbs of oil pressure. I took her around the block and it ran well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013