Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 98 2 dr Coupe w/TH400 upgrade project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Feb 23, 2014.

1. brashears54

brashears54

Great build, I'm in the middle of building the same car. I have a 4 door parts car setting beside my shop. If you need anything let me know.

2. Brashears54, thank you. May have to take you up on that offer, before this is all said and done. Rear bumper?? Need one for my '64 Starfire project.
    Love these cars, but very difficult to restore. No worries, I like being different.
    Pictures of your sled???
    JT

3. Needed a little mental diversion, from my wife's week-long hospital stay(long story :( )
    Attempted to stuff the motor into the chassis, this morning. Well by "assuming" that all my parts would slip right into place, I failed to test fit the torque converter. Turns out, that a TH400 Cadillac converter, will NOT work with this adapter. :mad: About 1" to large.
    Luckily, my local Transtar supplier had a stock TH350 example, on the shelf, for a cool $75 clams. :)
    Going to try again tomorrow, to install this engine. The beat goes on. ;)
    JT
    p.s. ALWAYS remember to fill converter with ATF before installing.
    torque convertor.jpg Photo1763.jpg

mgtstumpy and hipster like this.
  4. Had to do some further grinding, on rear of engine block. After I bolted trans and t/c in place, engine would not spin all the way around. Found this clearance issue, with the t/c weights. Easy fix.:)
    Feel slightly guilty for working on my car, while my wife was up the street, in the hospital, but she was resting and car has got to be removed from my friend's shop, this weekend. Orlando Code Enforcement, giving him shit, for a few "derelict" vehicles sitting outside.
    So...at least motor is in the chassis and it can be moved to my driveway, for completion. That 1 ton crane made easy work of that hefty motor and trans. Big thanks to Glen and my Misfires C.C.Brother Russ assisting me. Couldn't have done it without those characters.
    JT
    DSCN6709.JPG DSCN6710.JPG DSCN6711.JPG

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. The beat goes on....lower shell to bellhousing bolts would not line up, so had no choice but to carefully grind them. Definitely wearing safety glasses during this procedure.
    Next order of business was to align and install "14" crossmember and transmount bolts. Wow, forgot how much of a pain in the ass this was. All the bolts need to left loose, untill they are all in place. Pass. side trans mount does not line up with holes in the crossmember. :mad:
    Oh well, tomorrow's another day. May have to drill and slot the holes. :confused: Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, ya know. ;)
    JT
    p.s. please excuse my welds, on that crossmember. Practice makes perfect. :oops:
    IMG_1583[1].JPG IMG_1584[1].JPG IMG_1585[1].JPG IMG_1586[1].JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. Found this gem, online for sale/auction. It is basically EXACTLY what i am looking to accomplish. (slightly lower and with a mild Kustom paint job) Interior is EXACTLY the same as the one I purchased, from an Illinois donor car.
    JT
    $_57 (1).JPG

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  7. Well, it's been quite some time, since I posted any progress. Big problems at home, keeping me from going much further. Turns out "mold" was the cause of wife's sickness. Air handler drain leaked about 8 months ago, and water got under walls and flooring. Had to have the a/c handler and 50sq ft of drywall, as well as bathroom floor and vanity ripped out. Been living at swanky hotel, downtown, for 3 weeks. Thank God insurance is paying for the vast majority of the repairs and lodging.
    In the mean time, trying to do anything possible to move ahead. Dual brake conversion almost done. Could not find a rear hose, at the time that I ordered fronts, so said screw it and put the system together. All new steel and front rubber lines along with new wheel cylinders and '66 Caddy dual master.
    Well could not bleed the rear brakes??? Turned out the rear rubber axle hose was internally plugged!! Started an extensive search and came up with a website, that had the correct one, but out of stock. Well, copy and pasted that part number into a Google search. Low and behold...Amazon.com had one, for $16 clams! Hurray!! I think I can afford that. On it's way from warehouse. Next on the list is that $300 Ross Racing HD starter motor.

JT

8. Genes12320

Genes12320

It is looking great. I have a 64 98 4 door. I was about yo do the trans swap when it threw a rod, so I went with a sbc 383 and a 700R4. Was that Caddy master cyl. a bolt on?

9. Yes, the '66 Cadillac master cylinder(unsure of other applications)is a direct bolt on. Just need to plug off one of the "y" block ports, and relocate it to plumb into both front brake lines.

10. Genes12320

Genes12320

Thanks I'll get one of them ordered up.

11. With the expense of the Holidays and ongoing medical bills, still plugging away on the 98. Working on all the little jobs, that don't require too much cash. This wiring issue has been haunting me, since I got the car. More damage caused by "varmints" whom were living inside. Turned out not to be that big of a deal. I am fortunate enough to have another car to look at for comparison. This relay gets power from the fusebox, when the key is turned on. It then powers all of the high amperage accessory circuits, such as windows and seats. Web searches ended in about 3 expensive sources. So, decided to just retrofit an aftermarket Bosch 30a unit. Seemed to work just fine. Tempted to steal the one off the Starfire convertible, but hate to keep robbing that car. Thank you Texas Industrial Electric Co.
    http://texasindustrialelectric.com/ The staff was super helpful and the parts were dirt cheap. Truth be told...wound up NOT using their relay adapter. This circuit is too high to run through those small wires. Was so exciting to see all the windows go up and down.
    JT
    IMG_0271[1].JPG IMG_0279[1].JPG IMG_0303[1].JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  12. Despite ALL the problems at home, managed to wheel n deal my way into a new starter, from Ross Racing. Fits like a glove, weighs half of the original and looks cool too. Tried cranking it over, but my battery was too far gone. On a flat bed she goes, into dry storage for awhile.
    I feel this is as good time, to put this project aside. Gotta get Momma outa this mold infested house.
    Thank God, for close friends, with a huge 20k sq ft warehouse, to store it in. Outa sight, outa mind.
    JT

IMG_1023[1].JPG IMG_1022[1].JPG IMG_1027[1].JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. Slow and steady wins the race, bro! Can't wait to get a ride. M^+0

14. Freaky1

Freaky1

Just wondering if I missed something. I've got a 64 Starfire & thought about replacing the burned out Slim Jim with a 700r4. I also have a th350 that I'd thought about using as well but I'm looking to keep it cruzer mode so not really thrilled with the th350. To my point, I thought none of the above would fit without floor mods. I know the 700r is a freak size wise but I didn't think the th350 would plop right in either.

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Freaky1, either GM trans will fit AFTER Ross Racing has modified/cut the bell housing. It must be completely gutted and shipped to him. Cutting the floor and using that other adapter company, seemed like a bad idea. Rotating mass too far off end of crankshaft. May inevitably cause vibrations. No need to use additional trans crossmember either.
    Yes there is some work involved, but will be worth it, on the long run.
    JT

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  16. Saving up for a new driveshaft. Local shop declined to shorten stock one. Oldsmobile used a 2 piece shaft. Basically like a harmonic balancer. Guy said that rubber being 50 yrs old, not trustworthy. I am not jeapordizing my $2000 trans for a few hundred bucks. This car is gonna be built right or not at all. Lonestar Roundup next year, is my goal.

17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Great build and execution and very cool looking OLDS...

lothiandon1940 and jakespeed63 like this.
  18. Could you use a solid shaft? I'm just curious.

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Cool build thread. I appreciate all of the 60s GM full-size cars. Keep at it!!

20. Bobss396, if you are reffering to the 2 piece shafts, with X frames...that is not the way these chassis are. The shaft has 2 tubes joined together with vulcanized rubber, at the back.
    Happened to be working on a late model short bed Chevy truck today. I measured the driveshaft and it may be almost perfect! Going to look around at local junk yards for a nice one. Would just need to install the TH400 yoke, and check u-joint diameters.
    image.jpeg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  21. Freaky1

Freaky1

The 700r thing was never popular with me because I don't want to cut the car up. The old SJ wasn't too popular either because I remember how it worked before it pooped out. Even though the Ross option is the most expensive & time consuming (gutting the tranny) I think that's the way to go. Thanks for the quality thread!

22. I wasn't referring to the 2-piece old Chevy style shafts. I had a '64 Olds and it had the shaft with the rubber sleeve in it.

23. image.jpeg image.jpeg Big dog, me too!! But they are expensive to build. Truth be told, trying to sell my dream machine, to finance the completion of the 98. 1964 Olds Starfire convertible, 1 of 1250 made.
    Included picture of what it would look like done.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  24. Freaky1

Freaky1

I heard someone saying the tri-bar headlight pieces were an early '64 option that was discontinued. But I thought they were only offered on the cars produced in the Lansing plant.

25. Freaky1, Only offered on Starfires. The last one I sold had them. Super rare!
    Damn I wish I would have never sold that car!! Cashmere beige, full power, am/fm, cruise control and original gorgeous red interior with JC Whitney pull down sun shades

26. Freaky1

Freaky1

Yea, my Starfire has them. I was just trying to figure out the actual story behind them. I'm always on the lookout for another pair as mine have just a little pitting near the bottom.

27. Freaky1

Freaky1

28. Jake shes getting there buddy.Heres a new car I picked up and am going over it totally to make it safe for the next owner .I am going to sell her to help fund my Olds station wagon fund. Bruce. 010.JPG

29. Another shot of her. 007.JPG