Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1963 V8 Meteor Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pearcetopher, May 11, 2017.

1. Pearcetopher

Pearcetopher

Hi guys,
    Just picked up a 63 meteor with a 260.
    I hit the key and I just hear a growling noise.
    Previous owner thinks its the current regulator box as this car has a generator.

I have found a wiring diagram but am a little confused here, as far as I can tell power goes from the key to the starter solenoid on firewall, and if the neutral safety switch is engaged then it supplies all power to the starter and has nothing to do with the voltage regulator.

Can anyone verify?

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Are you sure the growl isn't coming the solenoid? If you have low battery voltage the solenoid will shatter when engaged.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I think he means shudder not shatter. Check the battery is good or put jumper cables on from a good battery. If that does not work, take apart and clean the wiring connections of the battery and starter cables. If the cables are good and the battery is good then you have to start diagnosing parts.

4. Pearcetopher

Pearcetopher

as a follow up, the battery was very very toast, it did this even when jumping.
    After a new battery was installed, it cranks over fine. It does however have some electrical gremlins.
    1. Sometimes for no reason it loses all electric power, even to the dome light, but then it spontaneously comes back, is there a time reset circuit breaker in here or something?
    2. I blew compressed air into the tank with the gas cap off, im getting good fuel flow now but now my gauge is reading empty. Is it possible to blow the float off the level arm?

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The sender may be broken or the wire to the sender may be broken. It may also be that there is no ground from the tank to the frame. Start by grounding the gauge wire, the gauge should go to full (key on). If it isn't the gauge or wire it must be the sender or ground.

6. Connections,,connections,,connections,,

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happened to me once, there was a possum nesting under the hood. Check out your connections but keep an eye out for that possum.