Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 Mercury Monterey Lowering Coils

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrivenDead, Jul 7, 2017.

1. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

So I have found some front coils with a 3" drop for $260 a pair. However a friend told me I could achieve the same thing by using the front springs from a ford aerostar van which I can get from the junkers for like $35 each. Doing a search I found that people have done this on old shoeboxes but I don't see anything about 60s Monterey's or Galaxie bodies. Does anyone know if I can use these springs? And what year Aerostar am I searching for? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Wow, in the "old days " we just cut the spring & it worked just fine !

bobss396 and mike 51 like this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

You can get them Brand New from Rock Auto for about $60.00, take one of your springs out and go to your closest auto store or spring shop and compare it to an 1995 Aerostar spring before you actually order it.

4. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Cutting is fine and dandy, but they ride so much better when they have full compression.

5. town sedan

town sedan

I've read as much as I can about the Aerostar coils and it seems in the later Fords ('60-64) they produce to much drop. The way around that frame dragging stance is to use a spacer above the coil to reduce the over all drop. On my sixty Fairlane I'm thinking a half to one full cut of the stock coil should be fine.
    -Dave

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are polurathane spacers which fit the Aerostars up to 1/2" for sure. I used them. There are made for the rear of a Toyota pickup of some kind. I have the #'s.

7. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

What is your ride?

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a 60 .... image.jpeg

Avgas likes this.
  9. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

10. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

What is diameter and spring rate? I have a set of 1.5 inch coils that were for a 58 impala, that gave it more like 3 inches of drop, you are welcome to them for a 6 pack.

11. I cut the ones in my '59 Ford, 1 whole coil and I like it. Spring rate went from 414 lbs to 495 lbs and it rides nice. The 15" tires do scrape the fender on real tight turns or going up steep driveways. I had the Aerostars on it and it was way too low.

12. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Really? Thanks. The spring rate is 425 and 4" diameter. Would they work?

13. You are aware if your going to cut one full coil we have done that in place for a generation. No need to remove it at all. What do you have to loose? I know you young Guns have your own deal and way more $$$ than we ever had but your going to change ride no matter what spring you use when you lower it. One hour and a torch is my kind of deal. The only hard part is removing and replacing the shock.
    The Wizzard

DrivenDead likes this.
  14. Cut a coil... if you really want new coil springs..coil spring specialties.. 199 buck you select the drop...

DrivenDead likes this.