Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 Lincoln - Need an automatic floor shifter option

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Q, Sep 28, 2017.

1. I have a 1963 Lincoln 430 CID (MEL) engine and the Twin-Range Turbo Drive Cruise-O-Matic (LX) that would like to install in my 1950 Ford Coupe mostly for drag racing. I have all of my fabrication worked out, but I am not sure what to do about selecting a floor shifter. I want to use one that has a neutral safety switch and reverse lockout, but I am not finding anything online except the Mr. Gasket/Hurst/B&M universal shifters that don't have the neutral safety switch or reverse lockout.

Any ideas?

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

some ford C6's had the nss built into the floor shifter...

Hombre likes this.
  3. hudson48

hudson48

Maybe something here at Shiftworks.I used them for my 63 Riviera but not sure if they do racing applications
    http://www.shiftworks.com/

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Hombre and Q like this.
  4. A lot of later Ford automatics (C4 does for sure) use a neutral safety switch that mounts on the trans and operates with the shift arm. Maybe one could be retrofitted....

Another choice would be a shifter out of a '75 through '96 Jaguar XJS. Cable operated, so it's easily adapted, and the NSS is built-in.

Hombre likes this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The way I would approach this is to find the shifter that you like best and works well for your application then do whatever is needed to get a neutral safety switch and reverse lockout adapted.
    But by all means place a high priority on the NSS.

Hombre likes this.
  6. I am reaching out to Shiftworks today; most of the products on their website say 'not for racing' though.

7. joee

joee

lokar should have what you need

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

This might help you out. MEL in a Shoebox drag car could be fun. Post pictures please.