Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1963 Impala wheel widths

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DesertFox00, Mar 11, 2018.

1. DesertFox00

DesertFox00

So I’m starting a 1963 impala project and I’m ordering wheels for it but I’m unsure of what width will work. The ones I’m looking at are 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rears, I’m wondering if I’ll have any clearance issues. Also how much torque and HP will the stock rear end handle and what can I do to improve it. I’m putting in a 454 and TH400.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you're serious, you'd better do some quick reading in the guidelines ...

3. DesertFox00

DesertFox00

I’m not sure what you mean. Did I pick the wrong prefix?

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Conastoga wheels/rims are not HAMB friendly and look like s**t anyway...

upspirate and misigis like this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wheel diameter is going to be the killer.
    Just my thought....15 inch diameter is perfect size for one of these cars.
    If you use a parts friendly shift kit in the transmission you my get by for awhile on the stock rear end.
    You didn't say how you would be driving it.

6. DesertFox00

DesertFox00

Spirited street driving mostly. I was worried about clearing disc brakes that’s why I was going with the 17s. The ones I’m looking at are torque thrust, idk what Conastoga wheels are.

7. DesertFox00

DesertFox00

So is it in reference to them being big, or spokes?

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

15 Inch should clear most disc brake kits that fit your car.

9. DesertFox00

DesertFox00

I like the look of 15s, they’re also a lot cheaper. Would 7’’ fronts and 8” rears clear? It’s mostly going to be a street car, but I also wanna try my hand at drag racing. Nothing too crazy.

The reason I’m going with this car is because it was my grandfathers, it even has a base pass on the bumper from when he worked at the base I’m currently working at. It’s got sentimental value. It’s got a 327 with a power glide in it currently, but I’ve already got a 454 for it.

Edit: X38, yes I read it. I do not believe I’ve violated anything. If I have let me know.
    I’m not making a low rider or anything like that.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you want to pay tribute to your Grandfather, keep the Chevy closer to how it was built instead of screwing it up beyond recognition .......If it happens to be the 300 hp 327, they were and still are good performers. Even the 250 hp version was a decent performer. A 454 is a fat ass, heavy lump of iron that will do far more harm than good to the car. A transmission swap might be justifiable (think 2004R), but even the stock aluminum case Powerglides is a very serviceable transmission. Surely you don’t want Grandpa spinning in his grave!

Ray

X38 and 302GMC like this.
  11. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

Desert Fox take a serious look at 15x7 and 15x8 for your ride. With the right tire and a little drop in the ride height your grandfathers car will look awesome. A 454 will give you some great bragging rights but is overkill imo. A change to a T350 or 4l60 will improve drivability over a PG and you will not need any major mods. Post some photos when you get a chance. My 61 was my late fathers car for a long time and when I got I had the great ideas for hot motor, racetrack suspension gauges galore and pumpin stereo. Well, it now got an average radio, lowered a bit, with some chrome wheels and dual exhaust and I love it. But everyone has their own idea of the perfect ride so do what makes you happy . Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What the people are trying to tell you is that large diameter wheels are off topic here. It is spelled out clearly in the rules. With that said I had a 63 with 15x8 1/2 Americans on the back with 3.75 backspace. It worked but it was close. You should be fine with an 8 inch wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  13. slowmotion

slowmotion

You're getting sound advice here, glad you didn't get scared off. I've got an affinity for that era of bowties, had a few, so I'm interested. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Just Gary likes this.
  14. X2 what 61Cruiser said.
    Also, ask yourself what mags were popular in the mid '60's. Take a look at Cragar SS & American 5-spokes.

Good luck & welcome to the HAMB.

15. Terrible80

Terrible80

Get a tape measure out and get under your car. Sometimes they are different side to side.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. DesertFox00

DesertFox00

These are the ones I’m looking at, haven’t decided on gray, silver, or polished. What size tires will clear?

I might just rebuild the 327, I probably would end up with better fuel mileage. I still have a TH400 transmission. I’m not even sure where I could find a 4l60, all I’ve ever seen around are the -e electronic shift ones. I’ll do some research into that.

I’ll try and get a pictures this coming weekend, and start a build thread on it or something. I want to keep it mostly original with a few performance upgrades.

Attached Files:

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 63 Impala with 15" steel wheels and staggered tires. IMG_0642.JPG

61Cruiser, saltflats and Just Gary like this.
  18. DesertFox00

DesertFox00

The porter mufflers do sound good. I’m not actually sure what the original motor was for that car, afaik my grandpa changed it out at some point with the 327 that sits in it now. I’ll have to go look at the data plate when I get home from work.

Beautiful car Gman. I kind of wish mine was a 2 door. Mine is a terrible brown/tan color, I like the white it looks very clean.

Gman0046 likes this.