Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1963 F100 transmission options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dogsluvtrx, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Dogsluvtrx

Dogsluvtrx

I have search through a number of different forums and haven’t located a clear answer yet, hoping someone here can tell me straight.

I have a 1963 F100 that was originally a V8 based off of the VIN. At some point was swapped to a 1963 223 and guessing at that point was also converted to a floor shift three speed from three on the tree. Motor is running solid, parts to rebuild/re-gear the rear end to a 3.5:1 are on the way. Problem is with transmission, grinding and metal fillings. Spent a few hours under the truck with simple green and a wire brush and having a heck of a time finding and numbers on the trans, found what may have been a tag that looks like it was ripped off.

Any ideas on what this transmission might be? And is it worth having a rebuild? I found some info that it might be a T85, also found a lot of conflicting information....seems like 61-64 are orphan years. Would a three speed from a 63 car bolt in?

Thanks in advance!

2. If it has a side cover, it might be a T85, take a picture of it. The passenger car top loader 3-speed should bolt up. I had one in a '64 Ford that worked well.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A T-98 four speed would fit and give you a good floor shifter. Good ratios and a low gear first, if needed. The bad... slow reverse, but that can be good fir backing a trailer. Depends on what your going to do with the truck.

Bones

4. Car and truck trannies in those years had different input shafts....they don't generally mix and match.
    You need to ID exactly what you have.

5. Does your bellhousing have rear mounting ears on it. If so you can swap to a granny 4 speed bell housing and trans. You also can use a full syncro three speed by trimming the inpuit shaft a bit shorter and ossibly need to swap to a different clutch disk. The later top cover trans will accept the Jeep floor shift top cover.

6. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

That is the first year they started with the toploading 3.03 type 3 speed. Fully synchroed....

7. Dogsluvtrx

Dogsluvtrx

Appreciate the responses. It does not have a side cover. Drain plug is bottom center, fill plug halfway up on the passenger side if that helps at all? My guess is not so much.

I won’t be able to take a pic of the transmission for awhile, the truck is currently at a friends shop to go through the electrical system. Being colorblind, I don’t mess with wiring anymore.

Plan is the truck is to be a parts runner / weekend take the kids for a cruise vehicle.

8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

There should be a set of raised casting numbers in behind the back shift lever coming out of trans case. Something like C3AA-????. If it does I'd venture to say its the 3.03 type.

9. Dogsluvtrx

Dogsluvtrx

IF it is 3.03, would I be so lucky as to be able to find multiple vehicles that were built that have the same bolt patterns? Junkyard find that I could reseal and bolt in? Or anybody got an extra laying around to sell?

10. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I THINK (not positive) that the earlier ones would bolt in, but they are the non-synchroed "crash-boxes". You'll have to check into that a litlle more. Like it was said before, it was a transition time for ford truck trannys and you have different input/output splines and other variables that go with each transmission.

11. Garbz

Garbz

3 Speed and truck based 4 Speeds do not interchange 61 to 64 on truck bell housings, patterns are different. To use a T98 you will need the four speed bell housing for a 223. Also watch for the car input shaft to be short and differing spline from a truck based trans.

RMR&C likes this.
  12. Dogsluvtrx

Dogsluvtrx

Only numbers I can find on it are on the tailshaft. 7A040 C and W-1

Also posting VIN tag from the door, but sure the engine was swapped, so not trusting it 100%. Found a site that was listing original engine colors for F100. The truck motors were black with a red valve cover. The car motors were supposedly red with a black valve cover....my motor is red. Maybe the engine and trans were pulled from a car and swapped in place of the 292?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  13. If you go to the Van Pelt site, you can decode the VIN tag, that may help. Trans looks like a truck unit, but need to see more of the tail end of it. Is the drive shaft 1 piece?

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I know most people will not touch one , but SROD from 80s pickup is just what I would stick in the truck and drive it like your running on empty lookin for gas