Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963.5 Ford Galaxie with 390 P code...need help with C6 installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teched, Jul 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Hello everyone! I thought I would start a new thread on the Galaxie I saved from the scrapper. To get you up to speed. A PO installed a 1966or later 390 with a C6. That engine was pulled and left for dead. I purchased a rebuilt 1963 390 P code. The tranny mount was "modified" by PO to fit the C6 and newer style 390. My problem is I have an older style 390(2 bolt engine mount) and I need to bolt it to the C6 and clear the firewall. I need to move the transmission towards the front of the car because the manifold road draft tube is hitting the fire wall. (I made engine mounts without having the intake installed. oops) I will need to slide the tranny/engine ahead to get it to clear. I'm showing about 2" of exposed yoke shaft sticking out of the tail, can I pull the combo ahead to use stock engine mounts, without having the driveshaft drop out? I have ordered the correct engine mounts so I can mount the engine correctly. Praying the combo will slide far enough ahead without dropping the driveshaft. Has anybody done this conversion?

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Both early and late 390's should bolt right in there with the factory mounts, you only use the two "early" bolts on the newer block. Crites has crossmembers for the C6 swap. Sounds like the PO boogered things by modifying what didn't need it, and may have swapped or modified the driveshaft. I know I have the original 4-spd driveshaft in my 62 406 car with a C6, and have also run it with big and small spline, long Galaxie toploaders, don't remember for sure if a Cruiso is the same length as a C6, have to check

3. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Motor Mounts should come in today. There seams to be at least three different mount configurations. I had a set of mounts from a mid 70's 360 truck. They are 2 bolt and have about 4" spread. The seized engine from the car had three bolt mounts. The rebuilt engine I have has 2 bolts, but about 2.5" spread. My plan is to unbolt the transmission from the cobbled up cross member. Bolt the engine in using the correct mounts(This should eliminate my manifold hitting the fire wall problem). I will then assess the location of the driveshaft(Hopefully there will still be a couple of inches in the tranny. If all is good(Which in wont be) I will perform a better cobble to the tranny cross member and run it. More than likely I will have to find another driveshaft or have one made. My buddy has a 1962 4 Door down in lot, would that drive shaft work?

4. F-head

F-head

crawl under there with a tape measure

5. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

She is settled down in the dirt. Would have to jack it up to even get under it. From what I have read it looks like in most cases the transmission mount has to be moved back for a C6 installation. This would make me believe that the drive shaft would have to be shortened. They may have done this... What is the stock length? Is it the same on a 1962 4 door?