Hi all. First post. Long time lurker. I've tried a couple TBird boards, But I don't really fit in there. I want to modify my TBird a bit (while remaining respectful to the original design) and they all seem to be 80 year olds who want to argue about whether it's "gold" or "Castillian gold" and jump down your throat if it's anything besides factory original restorations. Little too uptight for me. Not everyone, but those that are really ruin it for me. So here I am hoping HAMB is the right spot to hang with some laid back cats! About 7 years ago, I acquired a 1962 TBird with intentions of repairing it and making it a fair weather driver. I'm military and shortly after purchasing it I was transferred and I had to leave the car behind. The car has been in storage since then so all these pics are old. Happily, we are transferred back to where the car is stored, so work will begin again soon! I'm not proud to say, the previous owner took me for all I was worth when I bought the car. Bub said on the phone it was his dad's (who had recently passed away) and he bought it from the 1st owner who had it in a garage for the last 30 years. When I went to look it, it was complete but needed rust repair. It must have been a 12 month regular driver for the first owner if it had sat in a garage for the last 30 years and it was in the state it was! The fuel tank was out of it, so the guy had a line run from the fuel pump to a jerry can. Battery was dead so we jumped it. It started right up from cold (well, it was at least cold to the touch on the block) a settled right into a nice high idle. No odd noises, no smoke (other than a quick start up puff) and pretty smooth. Transmission shifted and at least moved it. Brakes were marginal to non functional, so I didn't drive it anywhere. Wiring was a bit of a mess in the engine bay, but everything worked on the dash and it ran, so I chalked that up to something to clean up later. power windows all worked, which was a plus. Dash clock didn't work, but that's no surprise on these old hacks. I have different plans for that spot on the dash anyways. My wife was with me and she knows how much of a TBird fan I am. My first was a 78 (bought with my late Dad) and several others up through the years (80-94). Foxbirds, Aerobirds, turbo coupes, and a couple 5L MN12 platforms. Little did I know, she had already arranged a flatbed for the car before we left to look at it, the only question in her mind was how much we were going to pay for it. As the flatbed rolled up, she said "happy birthday"! Well, between being starstruck by an actual 62 I could afford and my missus being so accommodating, I night have overlooked a bit more issues with the car than I normally would have. Oh well, such is life.... We had it flat bedded home and up on jackstands it went for rehab: The guy had cut most of the trunk out and I knew it needed rear 1/4 panels. Not unusual on even a 10 year old car where I live. The PO had tried to build rear 1/4's out of "patches" and it turned out a right mess: I almost wish he had left the rusty pieces alone, at least I'd have something to use as a template instead of the mess he left me. Engine bay is a mess and someone really went nuts with the gold rattle can paint: I'm thinking it must have been punched in the nose at one point in it's life, There's burgundy, silver mink (OE color) and white panels in there. All rattle-canned black at one point. There's also panel alignment issues. I crawled under and used the pick and magnet to inspect the rest. I was suspicious immediately since it had a relatively fresh (and very thick) coat of tar/undercoating so I was pretty aggressive with the pick. My first warning should have been bub not protesting when he heard me going at it with the pick, I would have been pretty livid if someone was at my car like that. He was pretty casual about it all. But he said he didn't want me pulling up the interior, I could see the floor from underneath and it was a 1962 so some rusty floor (no perforations though) was to be expected. I agreed to not pull up the carpets. Unbelievably, it all checked out good from underneath... or so I thought. So I thought I had a car that needed a little cleaning, freshening up and metal work. 2500 was a good deal around these parts for that. Little side bonus is he had a box with a complete set of new rubber pieces from a Thunderbird parts house. Larry's TBird I think it was. I got the interior out, and it became obvious I had been "taken". When the carpet came up, pieces of metal came up with it. They had been "glued" down with construction adhesive (or something similar) and goofed up good from the outside with tar. I found the same in the "frame" (it's a unibody car, no frame). Here's some of the less infuriating rust damage: The floors aren't that big of a deal, but the rotted overaxle frame stampings are. So are the rotted inner rockers (structural on this car). Luckily, the doors still close and open cleanly, so there's no body sag. A couple pieces of 2x4 square tube inside the rockers will make sure they stay that way. It's all stuff I can fix, it's just more than I planned on. I was looking for a project I could drive and enjoy as I built it up. I've had too many sit in the garage until done only to be sold or (grrrr) wrecked or (GRRRRR!) stolen shortly after completion. To the cars credit though, the drivetrain seems solid, it's all there (even little trim bits) and it's repairable. I can work with that.