Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Merc Comet 2D wagon mild kustom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JiiTee, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

My coworker kept nagging about that outside needs lacing so I did that to make him happy. Rear pillar mouldings got lacing today after daily work. IMG_20190522_200749.jpeg

Barn Hunter and 1959Nomad like this.
  2. kursplat

kursplat

i know it was said earlier, but Dude...:cool:

3. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Update time even a little one... Whole car is now back home. I've been waiting my parts to come and this week I got a message that parts are here. Well as I suspected not all of them but 90% of my order. Now I can start to put this back together... Few days ago I polished dash mouldings and installed them back. Glove box door with new bumpers and ashtray were installed at the same time.

Yesterday I dug out heater box and heater core out from top shelf. New seal kit was bought way back ago when I was in States. Six years ago I worked with this heater so first I was kinda lost how to put it back together but when you got all parts on the table it was a easy job. Today I worked with steering column. Installed a new turn signal switch, signal cam and slided the column back on the car. DSC_0824.jpeg DSC_0825.jpeg

IowaMercMan and Peanut 1959 like this.
  4. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

I been a while since last update but I have been working with this occasionally. Doors and hood with new hinges are back in the car. Also vent windows, door glasses, window regulators etc. are assembled back. Lot of small jobs are done but not all of them are worth to mention.

This week I disassembled head lights in pieces so that I could sandblast all buckets and paint them. Adjuster nuts was so fragile that they cracked really easy in small pieces. I knew that there's new oe nuts for sale but I went different route and it was really cheap fix.

Yesterday I made a order from local parts store for a plastic nuts that are used in some Peugeot/Citroën models. Nut size was really close to the hole and nut was slightly bigger. Few times with file and it fitted nice and tight to the hole. Since nuts was without threads I made 1/4" threads on them just to make sure that screws goes in better. After all nuts were done I assembled all back together. Adjusting works now and those nuts cost only 3$. DSC_0895.jpeg DSC_0885.jpeg DSC_0892.jpeg DSC_0889.jpeg DSC_0890.jpeg DSC_0891.jpeg DSC_0893.jpeg

pwschuh and 1959Nomad like this.
  5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Great tip. And way to economize!

6. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Polish, polish, polish... That's what I've been doing. Well that's not the whole truth. Front end is nearly done except grille what I have been polishing few hours now and half of it is now good enough for me. IMG_20190805_225859.jpeg IMG_20190808_210141.jpeg DSC_0901.jpeg DSC_0904.jpeg DSC_0906.jpeg

pwschuh, brianf31, 1959Nomad and 2 others like this.
  7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks great!
    Like we talked few weeks ago, i have to come to check out whats going on there. Its still warm in here, so a small motorcycle trip to your neighborhood could be cool.

8. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! Come on and stop by for coffee or beer, your choice whenever you have time.

9. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

After work I thought that I polish only grille today nothing else. During that I had tons of time to think what to do next and I ended up to finish front end. Only parking light bodies are not installed because I'm waiting new ones to come. DSC_0908.jpeg DSC_0909.jpeg

10. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Two months since last update so it's time to do a new post... I had to order some windlace what I forgot to order earlier this year. When it arrived it was time to install new headliner. I have once put old headliner back but never a new one. Well that wasn't a easy job for a first timer even thoug in basic it's simple job. Anyway it turned out quite good but it took several hours and extra pair of helping hands.

All side windows are installed back and yesterday windshield mouldings got polished and installed windshield also back. Of course I have done many smaller things but those are not worth to mention. DSC_0969.jpeg

11. nitroracer

nitroracer

Slowly but surely this car is coming together. I've been enjoying watching your progress! Please keep sharing your updates.

12. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Slow is the right word for sure. Don't worry I'll update this thread always when there is something bigger to tell about.

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks great!
    I can imagine how pain in the ass STW headliner can be and it can easily take hrs to get it done. Keep up the good work!

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Looks good, starting with a wagon is a tought first headliner!

15. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! This week I saw a pic of one installed headliner that had so many wrinkles that my eyes hurt. I think I got mine installed just great.

I have worked with interior parts, tailgate is back on, better rear bumper is almost fitted and so on... Now I have been polishing side mouldings. They were all in quite good shape but left rear fender moulding had a really nasty dent on it. Too bad that I never took any closer pics of it before I started to straightening it. Well that took several hours of hammering, filing, sanding and polishing before I was pleased of result. It's not perfect but really good driver quality. Here is a pic from left side so you can see the sharp dent on moulding. IMG_20191114_205621.jpeg

16. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

After I got all side mouldings polished it was time to install them back. That should be a easy job to do but not this time because I had to modify every single new moulding clip that I had bought and it took hours to get them fit good. Comparing new clips with oe-clips, new ones are cheap aftermarket shit far from original one. Too bad that so many oe-clips were rotten in pieces. Well all mouldings except tailgate mouldings are now installed. Once again I have done smaller things that are not worth to mention. Current status below... DSC_1056.jpeg DSC_1055.jpeg

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

The only lace I like is on womens panties. I wouldn't use it on your wagon.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  19. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! How about your new work plans, any progress?

Great tip, sir! Trust me I'll leave womens panties alone and use curtains also in the future. Oh, and if you have more interest on womens panties do me a favor and share that somewhere else...;):D

RMONTY likes this.
  20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah, it sure is something different than the damn previous job was. The last month went pretty fast, but i guess that happens when you do something that you like. Last year was like a slow motion movie comparing to this. And its interesting to work with something that is completely out of my payrange.
    I havent done anything special for the shoebox for awhile. Just done body shimming etc that's not worth to post. I am going to have a mini vacation after Christmas, hopefully i'll get something done.

21. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Just before christmas I started to do some sound deading on whole floor. When I was on roll with it I did also doors. Task completed... IMG_20200110_062656.jpeg

Peanut 1959 and Finnrodder like this.
  22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good!
    That looks like pretty thin stuff?

23. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Yeah, I bought Stp black silver which is thinner that black gold. Silver one is little bit easier to install on curvy surfaces. Silver 1,8mm vs black 2,2mm. Now door shut sound is way different than before so it really does something.

24. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

D-pilar mouldings don't fit all when I installed them back. First I thought that I had done something wrong but after I looked old pics and I noticed that they didn't fit before. Factory issues also there and if you want get them fit good upper bracket needs to be relocated and mouldings needs to be chopped because center of the moulding is too long. Well I ain't going to do it now... Right now I just want to get this thing back on the road. Threw a set of Starburst hubcaps on. I dig it... DSC_1079.jpeg

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Nice work and a good plan, running into a few similar issues with my (slightly) off topic build.

26. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! It's funny how roughly these were made back then. Well actually it is same nowadays on cheapest cars with all kind of fitment issues. These were cheap cars back then so you can't expect high quality. Fortunately I have several pics around the car when it came so I can proof that all fitment issues were already there.

27. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Project rolls even though I don't do updates... Time for a one now. Heater found its place last week and now it's fully working. Cables, wires and hoses are all connected. Instrument cluster got all cleaned up, led conversion done and installed it back. Door panels, battery tray with new battery are also installed. All lights works and so on... IMG_20200114_184816.jpeg DSC_1104.jpeg DSC_1112.jpeg

1959Nomad likes this.
  28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Nice look on the lighted dash.

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks pretty neat again!
    If you are going to Kustom kulture show, i'll see you there.

30. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

I've been working mostly with interior. New carpet, new scuff plates, new kick panels with speakers, Custom Autosound radio and flat subwoofer under front seat found their places. Front seat was cleaned before I lifted it back in the car. Few things are still out in upholstery shop...

My plan was to attend few car shows with my Comet this spring but now all of them are cancelled because of corona virus. It's kind of ironic that I build this car several years and then when it's ready for the shows corona ruined it all. Well I'll get it inspected on May and then it's time to cruise. Last time was 2011... IMG_20200319_181000.jpeg _20200319_174853.jpeg DSC_1113.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    chryslerfan55, CoolHand and 1959Nomad like this.