Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Merc Comet 2D wagon mild kustom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JiiTee, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Time goes fast and snow is also gone... Finally today I had some time to continue my project. 3 hours after work and the tunnel for driveshaft is welded. I tought that I would fabricate patches for the tunnel and then head back home but suddenly it was all done. Now I can continue with trunk floor...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Last sunday I started to work on trunk floor. I grinded the latest floor out of the car and I must say it didn't take long. Less than 5 min...

I knew that there was pieces of old floor under that and it was pitted very bad. Pics don't tell the truth but trust me it was. Old pieces out and then back to the new floor fabrication.

I decided to use that previous floor pan but it needed bead roller treatment. Gladly one of my co-worker had bead roller that I could use. There had to be few guys to do those beads because that floor pan is so big. One on the crank and guys at both ends to steer it right. Now floor pan has decent beads...

Attached Files:

3. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Ok, it's time for update...

This week I finally got that trunk floor ready. I decided to paint trunk floor before welding because there's fuel tank under it and it's a bit hard to paint it under without removing the tank. I didn't wanna do that so reaction primer on it and then semi flat black. Now all floors are welded. Yes!

Attached Files:

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking good! Getting the floors all done is a nice feeling eh!

5. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! Yeah, it's feeling so great that I can now enjoy couple of cold beers. :cool:

6. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Last update in may...Maybe it's time for update. :D

There's been a break in this build 'cos I had to do some house renovation.

Floor is now painted from inside and outside and today I put whole interior back in the car. Carpet doesn't fit at all and gotta order right one but old one goes for now. Also installed rear Monroe air shocks but right shock has leak. Now I have to install old shocks back and wait replacement shocks from Monroe.

Pics at the end...

Attached Files:

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Post a pic of the whole car?
    It looks really sweet.Well,it looked sweet at last week:D

8. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Should I do that? :D Ok, I'll try to do that soon...

9. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Here's fresh pics of the whole car... enjoy.

Attached Files:

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice ! I have only ever seen one of these wagons and it was a 4 door I dont imagine many of them survived !!

11. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

That's a great lookin' Comet. I let one slip away, and I still miss it.

You're doing a great job on yours.

12. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks Theo and Kemp!

We spent yesterday at the biggest one day event here in Finland. There was about 20000 visitors... There's european cars, american cars etc. It's absolutely best way to spend whole sunday. Some barbecue, good friends and nice cars. Personally I liked to set age limit for cars but I can't decide that. Which sucks... :D

Here´s someones video clip from that event--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ci3vugAzz4 Warning: Includes also some crappy cars! Don't look if you can't handle it. ;)

13. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I love the random nature of Finnish enthusiasm for American cars. You guys seem to like nearly everything, which makes for a very interesting car show.

-KK

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,Forssa's Pick-Nick is a great event,cool cars,bikes and cool people.
    Too bad my shovelheads belt broke 20 kms before Forssa.
    That damn belt lasted 4 yrs,i hope the next one will have a longer life.
    You can imagine how pissed off i was on the roadside with my bike,watching all the cool rides passing me and my bro.

Attached Files:

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

hey, thats what I took my driver's test in for my "learners permit" in 1966...Mom's 4-door.
    Had it painted for $14.95 at Earl Schieb as a one day Valentine's Day sale price...!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dig that "Tire-Black" they put on the tires

[​IMG]

16. 62futura

62futura
    from Colorado

very cool car I own a 1962 falcon futura 2dr sedan and also a 1961 falcon ranchero that I drive everyday. Those rusty floors sure brought back some memories. Keep up the good work it looking good so far.

62futura

17. falconeer

falconeer

JiiTee,
    Thought you might get a kick out of this. I dig wagons, esp. 2 dr wagons. Here is the link to my flock:

http://public.fotki.com/falconeer/

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC USA

18. falconeer

falconeer

Ment to add, The purple 2 dr dlx. Falcon wagon is for sale: It's got a 2001 GTP 5.0 roller motor,(3500/4000 miles) 650 D/P Holly carb; hearers,elec. fuel pump,fuel cell, Mustang II front susp. Ididit tilt column,Lacara steering wheel, 70's Comet 8" rear end with 3.55 gear, 15" Weld alm. wheels, and just put new interior in it (1700.00$), Flow master exhaust.
    I've got over 13000.00$ in it ,will take 9,000.00$ for it.

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC USA
    336-475-4353

19. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks guys! I'll try to get new paint job done in next winter. My co-worker lauhged at me last week when I was painting left quarter panel with brush. He said that you paint for your living and do top notch jobs for everybody else and your own car is painted with brush. That sure is a painters car. :D

I'll try to do it as good as I did this 1960 Impala -->http://tulilanka.pic.fi/kuvat/Car+Shows/Forssan+Picnic+2011/DSC_4527.jpg There was soooo much work to do but owner was very pleased of results. Impala won 3rd place at Forssa's Pick Nick, Rod&Custom class.

Falconeer, that's good looking Falcon but it's bit too modern build for me. I'm more of old style guy. ;)

20. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Very cool. The tire black was probably to conceal the overspray on the tires. I've got a thing for 1960 Comet wagons.

-KK

21. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  22. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I wish I could have been there with mine to park with you guys. But it's kind of a long drive!

-KK

23. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Yesterday I removed windshield because seal was so hard and water comes inside while driving. Old seal was so hardened that it came out in little pieces. Thought that it's very rusted under seal and have to weld again but what the heck, it's totally free from rust!
    Next week I'm gonna install new windshield and seal. Also got new pair of those rear air shocks. Next saturday is Turku Kustom Show we're gonna be there whole day.

24. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

New windshield and seal installed. There's huge difference between old windshield and new, I can see now. :D Tomorrow new rear shocks under and it's cruising time again.

Waiting also new wiper arms and wipers. Spring is broken from another arm and it don't press wiper properly against windshield. And second I really don't wanna scratch new windshield with crappy wipers.

25. bp30152

bp30152

Cool you tube video of the car show. Who knew there are so many American classics in Finland. Can you buy new American cars in Finland today?

26. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Yep, you can buy new American cars today but only few models. I really don't know exactly what but I think Chevy van is one and another is new Camaro.

Update for Comet, nope... It's in garage and car cover on it. I drove few times at last month end and I really need heater box and blower if I'm going to drive in autumn. It's getting colder and darker --> winter is coming.Blaah...

Next update will be someday in next year because I'm going to fix up another old wagon to be my daily driver. It's European made 70's Ford called Taunus.

27. dmikulec

dmikulec

Very cool! :cool:

28. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

Cool thread, I'll be looking this over a little closer since I just scored this. [​IMG]

29. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Pat, that sure is a nice score! That's been stood for a while but is it how bad?

30. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

No power train which is perfect for my application. The roof is fairly fucked from several heavy Winters but I'm confident that I can fix or repair it. The body is in outstanding condition, very straight with original paint and perfect glass all around. I haven't located the front bumper, grill or front seat yet but I'm planning on running buckets anyways. Should be a fun project.