Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Chrysler 300

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoBrow, Aug 22, 2011.

1. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I bought this car about 2.5 years ago. A young gentlemen had started to restore the car and got as far as stripping everything off and gutting the rest. I drug home a trailer loaded up with the car full of body parts and boxes and baggies of all sorts of stuff. The engine and trans and rest of the odds and ends filled up the bed of the haul truck perfectly. I thought well I can probably get everything sorted, figured out and have the car back on the road in a few months....well then I decided to put disc brakes up front and repaint everything and so on and so on. And then life happened and I had to move and hustle to get everything out quick etc etc and the car sat in storage for about a year...well I decided to get back on the car this past winter to take it to the Detroit Autorama set up as the push car for my friends FED. Got it close enough to drive it into the show and then it sat for a few more months in storage until I brought it to my new house and finished the remaining details. Well I finally got it back on the road a few weeks ago. I put about 75 initial miles on her, found some more issues to sort out but nothing too major. When I bought this car I was really wanting a wagon but I figured this 4 door would work too. Overall its a nice driving car, with alot of neat features. So heres my couple month project that turned into a couple years....in a somewhat condensed version

Attached Files:

2. Squablow

Squablow

I love '62 Chryslers and I'm working on one right now which hopefully will be on the road in the next few weeks. And I like the two-tone job on yours, but honestly, I'm not feeling the painted bumpers. Too 80's monochromatic street rod for me.

A pair of push bars in front of the front bumper and maybe some kind of team lettering on it (like the "Suddenly" Plymouth) would really sell the push-car aspect of it if that's what you were going for.

What did you end up using for a master cylinder? I'm curious to know since I'd like to swap mine out.

3. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Not going for the push car look, thats just how we set up for the show. The black bumpers were never in the cards, thats just what ended up happening. I couldnt afford to get them rechromed and I planned to try that "kosmic chrome" spray chrome process but ran out of time and they ended up black. I didnt like them at first either, but they are growing on me...not really seeing the 80's street rod look but ok...I get a lot of "hey that kind of reminds me of an old cop car" comments due to the bumpers.

As for the brakes, I used a scarebird kit for the mount and 70's Dodge truck parts for the master and prop valving. Seems to work ok

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011