Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Chrysler 300 - shed find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petritl, Dec 21, 2010.

1. storm king

storm king

Awesome find! Do right by it.
    Bench seats are the best. Buckets are for guys like th idiots who ride choppers with no bitch seat. Stupid people. Women like to be close, bench seats let them be.

2. Nice find. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. With the stroker kits that are available for Mopar Wedges you could build yourself a heck of a big-inch sleeper that you could drive daily.

Look forward to seeing where you take this beast. :cool:

3. Squablow

Squablow

I just got mine maybe a month, month and a half ago. I've seen a couple mildly customized ones around, they're good looking cars.

4. carlboyd

carlboyd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a really great barn find. It should clean up nicely. I'm jealous.

5. plyguy

plyguy
    from se mich

Nice find.I had the exact same combo.White/red bench 383/2bbl.Nice cruiser

6. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

The car was put into the workshop side of the shed this last weekend and put up on the rack.

Oil was put down the sparkplug holes and the valve covers were removed so the rocker shaft could be oiled as well. While the covers were off the engine was hand turned several revolutions we watched the rocker arms to make sure the valves weren't stuck.

A battery was installed, the points were cleaned and a temp fuel tank gravity fed the carb. All in all within 3 hours the car was running again for the first time since 1978, the push button trans also appears to be working.

It appears the car was worked on and made roadworthy but parked.
    The drums were pulled and to our suprised the shoes and wheel cylinders appear to be brand new, the rubber hoses also appear to have been replaced. The exhaust is so new it still has the Walker paper labels on the pipes.

7. Incredible find! Love that roofline. What a nice cruiser or mild custom that car can be. Can't wait to see it cleaned up and running. Please keep us posted with more photos....Don.

8. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Cool find that bad ace that ir runs too

9. kcam

kcam

It looks great I may have a working radio for it that came from my 300 H I also may have hub caps . the car belongs in my shed.It is not the old letter car but a start. fhe caps are from another chry product not the 300H caps. the brakes only will stop you once from 140 mph then will need to cool for 3 hrs . they are a pleasure to drive. Good memories came back from the pictures thanks.

10. kcam

kcam

11. pcterm2

pcterm2

that a real nice find,love them mopars

12. Joel Phillips

Joel Phillips

Beautiful car, reminds me of the 300H my step-dad bought home new. It was jet black exterior and tan interior w/bucket seats, a convertible.

13. I would give my nuts for that car...just as it sits!...

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Those make beautiful cruisers/mild customs.
    Just drop it on a set of clean mags and thin whites.

15. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

That is so cool. Love that body style. Would make a super cool custom or clean up and drive as is. What a great find. CONGRATS. Gary

16. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

Very cool. I recently picked up a 62 Newport 2 door ht. It's awsome, drive the h outa it and just enjoy.

17. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

It's been a little while but there has been a lot of little set backs, after new brakes, an intake gasket, rebuilt carb and new hoses the car runs and moves under it's own power but has a trans shifting problem. The rear springs are broken, so the plan is to replace the rear springs and lower the car 2"

The wheels were removed so the tires can be taken off and the rims sand blasted and repainted. After the tires came off we noticed none of the (4) rims were alike, as luck would have it a powder coating friend had a set of 14" Crager S/S wheels he powder coated satin black. I don't really care for the solid black but I thought a new set of chrome center caps , lugnuts and stainless beauty rings the wheels would be alright.

The radio was out of the car when it was bought so I expect it doesn't work, it is going to a friends for check and installation of an Aux. port so I can play MP3s through the mono AM radio.

I ran out of time to wash it but I think it should clean up nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would have had to wash it first.

19. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

That would have been nice but it was brought into the workshop side of the shed in the middle of the winter and the drains in the floor have a tendency to freeze.

20. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

:D:Dshe's already being mistreated, no wash yet and you've had it how long?
    Send her to me I'll treat her right...Nice find!

21. M.Edell

M.Edell

I love it! Very cool find..

22. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I made it to my friends place today. Both of the rear leaf springs were broken and appear to have been for quite some time, the only good leaves were the main ones on both sides. A previous owners added a set of coil over loadhandler shocks. The area above the diff snubber has been clearenced well by the snubber bottoming out so much.

A friend of mine donated a pair of used 1970 dart rear springs, eye to eye the springs were about 2" too short but the leaves under the main leaf were the same size as my broken ones. A mornings worth of work and both of the springs were disassembled and reassembled on the car. I put a 2" lowering block on the rears and turned the torsion bars out 10 turns each to drop the front down 2".

I was in the process of reinstalling the am radio when a Chysler script radio delete plate was found under the seat. I figured a radio delet for a Chrysler had to be unusual so I put it in and now without am talk radio. This must have been the POs plan as he had the antenna hole filled.
    This is the only picture I have, yes I know it needs to be washed. The car was washed after this phone pic was taken and I took picures of a clean car with my good camera; too bad I didn't put in a memory card so nothing was saved.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

24. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------------
    Hey, maybe he just came up with a
    name for it for you! Clean it up real
    nice and make make it look real pretty
    and call her "Pristine" - ie - the younger,
    prettier and much, much sexier (and
    hopefully, also somewhat less evil!:eek:)
    sister of "Christine"!!! :D

Mart3406
    ========================

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

for some reason the early 60's dodge and chysler springs were mostly al junk. My fanther put three sets in his 60 Dodge Dart. iset under warrenty and ones set from a junkyord and the thrid and final set make up by a local spring shop. Those were the only ones that lasted.

26. TubT

TubT
    from Texas

The first car model I ever built was a Chrysler 300 like that one. Got it for Christmas in 1963, I believe.

I especially remember those taillights.

27. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I took the day off work and went over to my friends place today. The engine started to have a dead missed so I replaced those 30+ year old Kmart spark plugs, changed the wires, cap and rotor. The engine runs great now. A freeze plug that was leaking was knocked out and replaced, the starter went lame so it was replaced as well. Tony and Bob took it out for a short ride..it is starting to run hot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. kcam

kcam

is the 300 for sale ?

29. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Did he say it was?

30. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

It's been a little over a year, three family crisis and a divorce since the last post. The car has been driveable for a few days now, the radiator was bad and needed to be recored. I bought a parts car for it's transmission which lasted 1.5 miles before failing. The original trans from the car was rebuilt and reinstalled. Last Thursday I took my girls for a little shakdown run and made it about 20 miles before we spend the better apart of an hour on the side of the road, the right rear brake began to seize. The car has been wet sanded, buffed with rubbing and polishing compounds, then waxed twice. The paint has some worn though spots as well as checking and popping areas but it is a lot better than what it was and better than I thought it would cleanup like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012