Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

1962 Chevy II Nova - 2-door Sedan

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by freeflynstl, May 17, 2017.

1. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

City: St. Louis

State: Missouri
    Price: $17,500
    My retired father is car heavy. He wants to sell his ’32 Ford Vicky but said he’d rather sell it to me. It’s an heirloom and I’d love to have it. I remember when he built that car. I’d love to share it with my family. In order to do so, I’ve got to let go of my ’62 Nova. My first car was ’62…not this particular one but one almost identical to it. I always wanted that car back and I was going to have it with this one. Nevertheless, I’m testing the waters. Projects don’t get much love or attention but this one is pretty far along. 1962 2-door Sedan 400 Series and an early one. Manufactured in March of 1962 in Norwood, OH. Originally white with a red interior, Powerglide 194 6-cyl.

I replaced the floors, not patched them but replaced them. The entire floor. I did patch the trunk, both sides along with new trunk floor drop offs. I replaced the rear splash pan (behind the bumper). I patched the left rear quarter behind the wheel well along the bottom and the wheel opening. I replaced the lower part of the inner wheel tub (outer tub). Entire underneath along with trunk floor has been seam sealed, 2-part Valvoline seam sealer. Floor was coated with POR-15 prior to putting it in. When I purchased the car the right quarter had been replaced. Car has aftermarket front fenders that came with it when I purchased it. I bought a aftermarket core support to replace the original that was falling apart. Replaced all the missing pieces in front, mudbuckets, headlight buckets with OEM pieces I found. Has original hood, decent driver grill (could use a little work) and new OEM replacement gas tank. Has the original interior pieces but missing the rear quarter window garnish moldings. New Ididit Steering column and brand new direct fit radiator (3 core aluminum)

I installed a TCI IFS front clip with 2” drop spindles. I also installed a RideTech triangulated 4-bar setup in the rear. Car sits about 2” lower all the way around. Car has ChassisWorks Subframe connectors and G-connector. Has Ridetech coilovers in the front and QA1 coilovers in the rear. Rebuilt ’64 Chevy 10 bolt with Moser axles and new (I think Yukon) 3:55 gears (non posi). Stock drums in the back all brand new brakes. Wilwood 4 piston front disc brakes in the front and brand new Wilwood mastercylinder. Car was originally an automatic but I’ve put the clutch pedal back in it and have installed hydraulic clutch masterclyinder kit. I’m in the middle of rebuilding the heater box right now. New core, foam seals, etc.

Currently mocked up with a Chevy Big Block from a 1969 Chevelle SS396 (L78 375HP) and has a Tremec TKO500 5-speed behind it. Big Block came was most recently running in a ’28 Plymouth two summers ago. I drove it and it ran strong in that little coupe. No smoke, no noise. 5-speed was in a buddy’s mustang and I swapped the case to a Chevy case and new input shaft. Brand new flywheel, brand new McLeod clutch and pressure plate. Looked everything over and reset backlash. Brand new ready to go. I have everything to make that engine start. TruRam cast stainless headers that fit that TCI clip perfect. Ansen NHRA Approved bellhousing.

I currently have set of Cragar S/S (made in early 80s) on the car with brand new skinny whites. Vredestine 185/70R15s. That’s a 25” tall tire and I think perfect size for that little car. Probably the only set of those in the world. Bought them from Diamondback…zero miles. If you didn’t like the narrow white then you could always turn them around. Cragar’s are from the early 80s and have the proper backspace for that Nova. 15x6 with 3.75” backspace…squared up set on all four corners. Can’t get Cragar to make those in that size with that backspace anymore. I have two sets of center caps for the Cragars, standard and spinners. Spinners have inner texture. Not made anymore.

Would make a really, really neat early Nova. Not far away from driving it really. I’m probably missing something for sure. It’s a good start. Body will need considerable work but is probably driver quality. Somebody put a very poor paint job on it recently. Poor attempt by someone but that’s where it’s at. I have all the glass for the car. Windshield is out and so is the back glass. I have bumpers that are driver quality.

Car will need a driveshaft and hydraulic throwout bearing. Will need exhaust, brake lines and fuel lines. Will need headiner as well. I have all the interior but it will need going through. Needs carpet and tunnel around 5-speed will need a little love. It will need the gauges refurbished and a steering wheel if you don't plan on adapting the original. That's all the big stuff off the top of my head.

I haven’t added up receipts cause doing stuff like that just makes me depressed. I’ve probably got $18-19K in stuff I can think of off the top of my head. If you’re a guy like me you don’t really want to spend a lot of money on a project car. If I can’t get it sold for a reasonable price then I’ll finish the exhaust, brakes and fuel and put the old interior back in it and try again. Everyone is looking for a deal but I want to sell this car…I don’t have to sell this car. If you’d like to have a first gen Nova with all the hard work done here’s your chance. Very cool L78 big block. Very new 5-speed. Car could easily be put on air suspension if you chose to. Quality suspension pieces. Car sits right. $17,500 like it sits. If you don’t want the drivetrain then $15,500. These cars are getting harder to find in decent shape. You can PM with questions. You can shoot offers if you want but just remember I don’t have to sell it, I want to sell it.

Attached Files: