Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Chevrolet 283, rebuilt & complete w/ some "old school" goodies

Discussion in 'Parts For Sale' started by corndog, May 28, 2019.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

City: Granger

State: Indiana
    Price: SOLD
    SOLD SOLD Selling a 1962 283 engine that I bought at an estate sale 5 years ago under the impression that it was a 327. The casting number on the block is 3789817 with a date code of J-24-61. All information I can find says this block should be a ’62-’67 327. But it is a standard bore 283! Not sure why the discrepancy. I bought it as a short block and after I got it home, I found a folded paper in the intake valley that was written in 1984 by the former owner. The paper gave some details on some previous work that had been done by a local machine shop called Hatfields (long since out of business) in preparation for use in a D/Gas ’57 Chevy drag car. Nothing real serious as the paper says the best time in the ¼ mile was 12.20. The “57 was for sale at the auction but at the time I did not know this engine had been in the car. The short block was painted yellow when I bought it so maybe that should have been a clue as the 57 Chevy was also yellow.

I completely rebuilt the 283 using the forged crank, the stock rods, and the Engle S24 solid lifter cam that was in it when I bought it. I built it with street-use in mind. The bore is still standard with new Sealed Power flat top pistons and new Hasting 660 cast rings. The forged crank was already balanced, and I had it re-ground to .040 .040 for new Clevite main and rod bearings. I even had the block line-honed just to be sure it was okay. The stock 283 rods were qualified.

The Engle solid lifter cam and lifters were used with a new Cloyes S-288 double roller chain set. The lift on the cam is 488” at the valve with .240 duration. Lash is .018”intake and .020”exhaust. I used new Engine pro Z-28 springs on the heads. The heads are a fresh pair of ’77 Chevy 305 heads #354434. Stock rocker arms, push rods, and head bolts. New Fel-Pro blue composite head gaskets. The oil pan, balancer, and timing cover are all stock 283. I installed a new Melling M-55 oil pump and welded the pick-up onto the pump.

OLD SCHOOL ADD_ONS: The intake is a polished Edelbrock C3BX with a 3310-6 Holley carburetor topped off with a Mr. Gasket scoop. Distributor is a Mallory YC-310 dual-point with Accel Super Stack coil. Chrome ribbed valve covers with Stellings breathers, chrome pulleys and stainless headers.

I actually built this engine as a tribute to the racer guy who originally raced it in his 57 Chevy. That is the reason I built it with some old-school race parts and painted it yellow. I like the yellow, it a good change from always orange. At any rate it is for sale. The engine has not been fired since rebuilt but is slated for that to happen soon as my new run-stand will arrive at my shop this Friday. Feel free to call me on my cell phone with any questions at 574-340-3686. The engine is located in northern Indiana close to South Bend.

yellow283.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and unclescooby like this.
  2. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

still for sale

3. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Its on and fired up and still for sale.

4. corndog

corndog