Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Biscayne Jr Stocker for the Street Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Stock Racer, Mar 15, 2022.

1. missysdad1

missysdad1

I hope you'll resist the pressure to build a fussy motor and a loose converter as has been suggested here. A nice little 327 or 350 with 1.94 heads and a Comp Cams "Thumper" hydraulic cam will give you all the power you'll legally need and be friendly to drive at the same time. Also...if you decide to go with an automatic I'd suggest a 3.25 posi and a stock Chevy passenger car converter. All that "Ricky Racer" stuff gets old very quickly if the car is used only on the street. It would be a shame to put a lot of time and effort building a car that you will hate when it's done. Great project! Good luck!

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jr Stocker sounds like a nasty street car to me, what's not to love.
    Now if you were just building a nice street car, then you would build different and not fallow the Jr Stocker theme.

3. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Yes, I am adding the trailing arm and the frame supports at the front mounting point.

Jr Stocker theme all the way and yes, gonna be a bit nasty but that's the fun part.;) It will actually be legal under current NHRA Stock Eliminator rules.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  4. 6sally6

6sally6

Not many fellas "complained" about those 365/327 'back-in-the-day'.
    My theory is.........if I want a 'nice-sweet-smooth idling' street car.....
    I'll borrow the wife's Santa Fe!
    Not a thing worng with having to 'clean-it-out' occasionally while waiting in traffic!!
    6sally6

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Or clean it out thru the Sonic. :D With open headers. I'M SORRY I CAN"T HEAR YOU, DID YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT? Lippy

6. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Well...I appreciate ALL the suggestions including yours, but just call me Ricky;). I am planning on this being a Race Car (within reason) that gets street driven. Something a little more exciting than a nice Daily.

5w32, impala4speed, pivir123 and 5 others like this.
  7. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

What they said!

8. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Spent half the day getting rid of unneeded crap, exhaust hangers, lines, park brake cables, etc. Finally got to cleaning. This may take a while:(
    IMG_3820.jpg IMG_3822.jpg

9. Nasty work but you are getting there.

10. Looking forward to following your build.

Stock Racer likes this.
  11. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed, 4 Speed, 4 Speed, 4 speed,

HINT !!!!!!

12. halfsack

halfsack

Feel free to check out my 63 409 impala build thread

Stock Racer likes this.
  13. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love these cars , here's mine from a few years back.:) 134343627_213431767053544_7849650110104102863_n.jpg

5w32, Roadsir, Baumi and 12 others like this.
  14. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I just did, Bitchin car!

15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Nothing interesting to report. Still cleaning on the back half. It sucks but it's necessary so I can get to the cool stuff. IMG_3823.JPG IMG_3855.jpg IMG_3858.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  16. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Good progress! Please tell us you have a couple jack stands with that hydraulic jack.

Stock Racer and Zuffen like this.
  17. ^^^^^yes, what he said! Lost an acquaintance a few years back for that reason, very sad loss.

Stock Racer and Cosmo49 like this.
  18. SS327

SS327

I almost lost me due to a leaky hydraulic Jack and cheap jack stands doing the same thing to my old ot ElCamino. Be safe not sorry! I really want to see you complete this!

Stock Racer and Cosmo49 like this.
  19. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Well, I'm too old to move fast and too young to die so...two jack stands under the front, two under the back, a stack of tires under the trunk floor, and the floor jack under the middle for extra safety. Thank you all for being concerned.
    IMG_3867.jpg

Torkwrench, NoSurf, brEad and 15 others like this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Great build so far brother! This was my Dad's 62. Lots of memories in that car so I'm partial to the Impalas. Looking forward to watching you move along on it. And for the record nobody on here does a post like @jnaki A ton of knowledge and very thoughtful in what he says. Good luck with the rest of the build!

IMG_6256.jpg

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

327 L79 spec except paint the manifold run 300hp carb and air cleaner and valve covers 4 speed.

RustyDogg and Stock Racer like this.
  22. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Your Dad's car was kick ass, @jnaki is the man, and thanks for the kind words!

chryslerfan55, Fitnessguy and jnaki like this.
  23. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I like the way you think! Stay tuned

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hey FG,

Thank you for your kind words. The memories are still around even after all of these years. The different builds here on the HAMB spark those instances, ever so fleetingly. So, with a small idea created, the actual story comes to mind of what we used to do back then. It was a time of exploration and having as much fun as teenagers could back then in So Cal.

Lessons learned from those experiences can still hang around in bits and pieces until I find an old photo for more memories coming to the surface. As long as I can remember, I will try to keep the "big Alz" at bay. The writing keeps me active and happy.

Jnaki

The times of the 61 Biscayne was an envious time. We had been working on our older cars for several years. They were not new when my friends and I bought our 50s chevy sedans. So, anyone buying a new car had envious stares and thoughts flying around. Sure, a new 409 Impala would have been great, with a 4 speed to boot. But, only one friend had enough to put down for his 1961 new Biscayne 409 sedan.

We adjusted as much as we could at the time. Some of those memories stick a little longer than others. It also allows me to categorize these memories as much as possible for facts from that time period. So, in the future, our granddaughter will read and see how life was when we were young or younger... Ha!

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

Chevy acknowledges only 1961 Super sports 409 production I looked at a Factory 409 Biscayne the ID code was A11 for 6cylinder A12 was for V8 but not what V8. Back in the day I only saw 2 1961 409s both Super sports one convertible and one 2dr hard top.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the way I've always heard and read it to be. Only the Impala SS was avaliable with the 409. Weather or not other model's slid through is a different story...

chryslerfan55 and Stock Racer like this.
  27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Maybe it could have been a COPO?

Stock Racer likes this.
  28. Oilguy

Oilguy

I would love to see it built the way GM did and NHRA regulated it. Any motor from the era would be cool: 283, 327, 409. But I am a SBC kind of guy; never could afford a 409. Use an A1 converter and glide if you prefer AT; it would be correct for late 60's racing. I have always liked the flat-tops over the bubbles for some reason. I feel the 61' s look great with it but they just look weird on a 62.
    As far as the 409 cars are concerned, one of my favorites of all time was a factory built bench seat street car a friend had, hard top coupe, dark blue in and out. That's 62 factory bench seat. That car was rare and gorgeous. The popular parts used back then by the racers ( you are welcome to correct me) were Stahl, Schiefer, Crane "cheater" cams, A1 automatics, M&H, Hurst, Clevite, etc. Valvoline was a big supporter with their "race" oil; not sure how popular it actually was. A lot of cars also had STP stickers; probably for the contingency money. Then there was Mr. Gasket and Air Lift. One time at the Winternationals ,Keystone was selling new wheels in the pits for $15 each to get their name out there. Most wheels though were painted. Maybe some photos of Cal Method's old stuff would help out if you are serious about the stocker build.
    Nice car. Old farts like me appreciate seeing builds like yours; wish I could play! Good luck.
    Oh oh, forgot to mention the Casler cheaters slicks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  29. sunbeam

sunbeam

Chevy must have got it wrong for every 1961 409 supersport I've seen for sale I've seen adds for 50 1961 409 Biscaynes. There's one on Ebay right now

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Stock Racer and 427 sleeper like this.
  30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Love it. doing all the non-glory work... When I did both of mine.. I looked like a Kentucky Coal miner after every session,... when your done... its satisfying ... Make doing the fun stuff so much better..... keep pushing forward...
    I'll see ya at Paradise Road.

hahahah

Torkwrench, NoSurf, hrm2k and 6 others like this.