Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Olds bubbletop - patch panel source?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsoncustom, Apr 23, 2008.

1. I've got a 61 Olds hardtop. It's got some nasty rot at the edges of the rear window. I've been looking for a week or so for a source for rust repair panels for the car, but haven't had any luck yet. The rest of the car is in quite good shape, floors are nice, trunk floor is nice, just this one spot on both sides of the car.

I imagine that this must have been a common problem for the cars due to the way the window trim traps the moisture. It looks like Olds, Pontiac, Chevy, and Buick all had the same design in this area, so if the patch is available for any of these, I'm sure I can make it work.

Here's a shot of the cancer in my car...(this is the worst of the two sides, the other side should be repairable).

[​IMG]

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

2. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I doubt if anyone makes any commercially available. You will probablyt have to make them yourself. Try SURPLUS SUPPLY in Ohio, Auto body specialties, Sherman and Associates .

3. Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I found a company that makes wheelwell openings and the front of the quarter-panel patches for Chevrolet, but no "top of the fender" patches.

4. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Try these guys, Usa Parts Supply. Kearneysville WV. 304-724-6600, 800-872-2013. They have lots of 1941-1975 parts for Olds. Gary

5. WQ59B

WQ59B

www.impalaparts.com (Hubbards) had a 'front half quarter panel' for '61-62 Impy, but not sure how far over the top 'edge' of the quarter is goes, and the contour may be notably different. Ran $95 in '06.

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Wow, never seen a bubbletop rust there before...everywhere else on the body but not at the window. :) I doubt you're going to find any reproduction patch pieces, but I'd think a piece cut out of a junkyard Chevy, Pontiac or Buick would work. It looks like it's shaped exactly the same as my Bonneville.

7. Thanks for the leads, I'll try and track down a source. I'd rather not have to make patches myself if I don't HAVE to.

8. 61_Poncho_Ventura

61_Poncho_Ventura

I might be able to help you, if you aren't in a hurry. I think my 61 4 door Catalina parts car has that same contour. send me a e-mail [email protected]

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that looks like a pretty simple patch. looking at the car I'd guess once you get the glass and trim off that patch will be the least of your problems. I don't see anything that could not be bent up with a little planning and very basic tools

10. first get it stripped to bare metal. i have seen them crack there before. any good metalman could repair it. not as bad as you think.