Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 Impala drop top B/B found in (pole) barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 13, 2015.

1. I have insulators, I think they're 3/8" thick but not Kool Carb brand. Gotta install longer studs now. When my Buick sells I'll have funds for the Impala. Reproduction radiator, carb bases, driveshaft for a 4 speed.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Mark, as a side note look up Global West. They offer a bullet proof power steering conversion that corrects the steering geometry on the 58-64 models. A retired alignment tech over on the 348 site has installed it and says it has made an amazing difference in how the car handles virtually eliminating all bump steer. Global has a video explaining the issue with these cars. Not cheap and it most likely will require a new radiator as the box is moved forward.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Have a pretty serious sounding buyer coming from out of town to look at the Buick in a couple of days. Already agreed on price. Somebody will be getting a good car.

1931 Buick 2017-04-01 05 crop.jpg

1931 Buick 2017-04-02 37.JPG

1931 Buick 2017-03-18 c.JPG

After the Buick sells, I'm going to be looking for a 1953-1962 Corvette so the Impala will probably be on the block too. Already have a 54 Vette lined up to go see. It's pretty original except for an incorrect color repaint. Been stored since 1964 with some exercise miles each year.

4. The Buick appears to have wooden structure, like an early Chevy.
    We'll miss the '61. Your sensible approach to bringing it back without a complete teardown will bring C1 $, I'm sure! Funny, you don't seem like a typical 'Vette guy. (that's good!)

loudbang likes this.
  5. greaser

greaser

Mark, you've been busy on that ole Buick... really looking goood!
    Best of luck finding that dream vette. Be sure to keep us in the loop!

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just read this entire thread. Great reading and I've always had a soft spot 61 Chevrolets my favorite 60's car. My version of the top on an Impala is "only top" in 61 and let them fight it out in 62. If the 59 and 60's are bubbles along with the Mopars I guess the real first one was the 55 Ford Crown Victora followed by the 56 Crown's and all regular Victoria's. If you've ever sat in the back seat going on a vacation in of any of these you know why they disappeared from manifactures . . .

chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  7. greaser

greaser

Mark, google "4 speed conversions" for that clutch arm. They seem to have all the little nuts and bolts needed to get the job done.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Wow that cleaned up nice. What a wonderful car

9. The Buick does have a wood superstructure. All of it has been professionally replaced with oak.

As far as being a Vette guy, I've had a few. Two '54's a '62, '72 and a '75. Bought the '62 in 1975 and had it for 20+ years. When we lived in SoCal it was my wife's daily driver for 15 years. Sold it after moving back to Oregon to pay for a house. It had turned into a "judged" NCRS car but I'm done with those assholes and the next one will be a modified hot rod. I have an original 350 horse L79 327 and a matching Muncie M21 waiting to go in something. We had more fun in that car than any other I've ever owned.

Corvette 1962 white 02 B&W.jpg

My reasoning for wanting another is my wife wants one again really bad. 14 years ago she was diagnosed with a brain tumor showing itself as Grand Maul seizures. She underwent surgery and radiation therapy. They could only remove 1/2 of the tumor because of location but it didn't continue growing and she was doing very well, then on her last two MRI scans it showed regrowth. She is scheduled to start Chemotherapy soon since she can't undergo radiation or surgery again. Chemo is the only option so I want us to try and relive some of the good "Vette times" we had in the past while there's still time.

Img0120.jpg

Better include an Impala photo since it's what this thread is supposed to be about.

DSC08628.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  10. sololobo

sololobo

score city, these have such sweet lines, best o luck with the build.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

The best for your wife and her up coming treatment. Prayers sent from KY.

Gary

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    LowKat, loudbang and 1959Nomad like this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You and your wife will be in my prayers, hope everything goes well for you.

LowKat, loudbang and 1959Nomad like this.
  13. Lowkat, Very sorry re: your wife's condition. Please tell her the guys and gals on the HAMB are pullin' for her. Hope you two share good times soon in your soon to be C1.
    In my imaginary money no object ''blow Leno's away shop", I'd buy your '61 and keep it handy for parts chasing. Along with a Rivi purple 'flaked lowrider, and all the rest.

14. greaser

greaser

So sorry to hear about your wife's illness. Thoughts and prayers to both of you. Stay strong my friend.

LowKat and loudbang like this.
  15. I really appreciate the good wishes more than you know and will pass them along. My wife is a very strong willed, stubborn little shit and always goes in with an unbelievable positive attitude. Before she had brain surgery, she called her girlfriends together for a "Brain Removal Party".

My high school sweetheart, best friend for the last 46 years and wife for nearly 44.
    1973 Mark & Lisa Bruce - wedding 5@ Oregon City.jpg
    NOW FOR SOME GOOD NEWS.

Got word today our health insurance will cover the drug cost when it's actually excluded from their formulary. ($4000+ a month) A non profit brain cancer fund is picking up the co-pays for the doctor and drugs.

Also, next week I'm going to go look at a '63 Impala SS hardtop. Supposedly original 425 horse 409 and a 4 speed which are both out. Original carbs and intake but no exhaust manifolds.

I've already seen the car and it's real. A decent project but haven't seen the engine. Basically I'm going to authenticate the engine/trans and check condition. If it all checks out, buy and flip. My selling price will probably be 22K. Should have some pictures next weekend.

1959Nomad, chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Can't add more than what has been said. We are pulling for her.

LowKat likes this.
  17. Wife finished 1st round of chemo and is doing very well so far.
    She has nausea in the morning but then good to go.

Checked out the '63 SS409 car.
    Not numbers matching.
    Passed.

So I got busy over the last couple weekends on my Impala.

New heater core installed.
    Had to fab a spacer and move brackets inside the box to use a '62 core.
    (no new 61's available)

Installed new motor mounts....
    Last time I drove it the fan was hitting the shroud from dead stop acceleration.
    Kind of a bitch changing as big block heads hit the firewall with engine jacked up.
    Required a 4 foot 2x4 as leverage to move the engine to each side.

Cleaned and painted the bottom of the engine while I was down there .
    Cleaned the firewall better while I had the intake manifold off to install.............

TRI-POWER
    DSC09625good.JPG

Used the factory throttle rod from firewall to center carb.
    Also stock kickdown rod from trans to bottom of center carb after some bending.
    Linkage works great.
    DSC09615good.JPG It's not anything like stock but I like the looks better than new heim joints and clamp style brackets.

Moved the coil to the factory firewall location for tri-power.
    Still need correct $57 bracket for the coil since I substituted an old Ford one from parts stash.
    DSC09621good.JPG

Right now I have block-off plates under the front and rear carbs, until I can buy the "Vintage Speed" carb bases. It won't be long since I sold some junk out of the parts stash on craigslist today.
    DSC09620good.JPG

Got the car running and dialed in on the center carb.
    Ran it a few times, then on the last try, starter wouldn't do anything.
    Oh well..... F-it for tonight, I heard it run good enough to drive.
    Trace down the problem this week.

Not real proud of the fuel line set-up but it was free out of the parts stash.
    It'll get me by until I have an extra $100 for the correct reproduction lines.

Should be driving this thing next weekend.
    DSC09612good.JPG

I have an original tri-power air cleaner lined up as a trade so the little chromies won't be staying.

Trading these 1950's lubesters but have to run a DA sander over 'em then rattle can.
    Lubester 01.JPG

That is all...........
    DSC09627good.JPG

18. greaser

greaser

It's all in the details, and you certainly have a knack to do it right! Please give us a picture with the new tri-power air cleaner.
    Glad to hear your wife is feeling better.

LowKat and Dick Stevens like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Looking real GOOD.

LowKat likes this.
  20. Sold the Buick. Buyer drove 1700 miles one way from Kansas City, MO.
    Extremely happy guy said he'd been looking 15 years for that model.
    He has an original engine and will finish restoring it. Thanks Rodney!

DSC09674.JPG

Used 3 times as much fuel as I should have for the distance I drove today.
    Blew some cobwebs out of the Impala.
    Lovin' the tri-power sound and added performance.

Got the "Vintage Speed" throttle bases installed along with the factory fuel lines. Also an original style rod connecting the front and rear carbs on the passenger side. Cut off the rest of the unneeded bellcrank on the driver side end carbs since I ditched my homemade connecting rod.

Looks better and works good.
    DSC09686.JPG

DSC09681.JPG
    YEE-HA

OahuEli, 36 ROKIT, 1959Nomad and 4 others like this.
  21. Looking at a '54 Corvette in the next week or two.
    Same owner since 1963.
    I'll take a ton of pictures.
    The Impala may be in danger of "going down the road"

enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I only wish a could afford it....And Im a die hard Ford guy.....But man I love that Car...

loudbang likes this.
  23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Mark, hope the Mrs. is doing well. Thoughts and prayers sent from KY. The good news about your 61 is its desirable and a super nice car that should sell easily. Thats the reason I only deal in Tri 5 and Xframes.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    enloe and loudbang like this.
  24. porkshop...
    20 years ago I was a 100% 1955-1970 Chevy guy.
    Nowadays I appreciate most anything older that's got 4 tires and is cool.

Gary...
    Thanks for the good words! Mrs Lowkat (Lisa) is doing well with very minor side effects from the chemo. She starts the 3rd round tomorrow. In another two months an MRI will tell if it's helping. I'm optimistic.

I've already had a few good offers on the Impala and it won't be hard to sell, however won't be selling it until I nail down a C1 Vette.

DSC08619.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  25. Underhood area looking correct, nice! It really is the little stuff. Count me in on the list of people who wish they could buy it.

loudbang and LowKat like this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, I love that Impala!

LowKat likes this.
  27. Got a call 20 minutes ago about another C1 Vette.
    Have an appointment this Wednesday after work.

Known the car for 20+ years and it belonged to a friend. He passed away 2 years ago. His widow is now ready to part with his collection. It's a 1959 or 1960 if I remember correctly. Mild hot rod, 2" cowl hood, really simple ghost flames. Sounds like it's going to be a reasonable price.

Right up my alley!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    porkshop, chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  28. Looked at my friend's 1958 Corvette last night that he'd owned since 1973
    Putting a deposit on it tomorrow night.
    Widow is willing to wait for final payment when my Impala sells.

It's a 1970's hot rod.
    Built, solid lifter 327, Holley double pumper, Super T-10, 4:11 posi.
    Factory soft top and hardtop.
    Paperwork from the 60's then pictures and paperwork from 1973 on.
    Minor flaws and 40 year old paint but looks good. Very nice chrome.
    Needs a few little things fixed and/or changed but it's road ready.

I'M SO STOKED

Cowl induction hood added in the early 1990s.
    Original '58 only "washboard" hood included.
    DSC09809.JPG

'58 only wind-splits on the deck lid.
    DSC09812 plate.JPG

Probably switch the wire wheels to Torque Thrusts like the Impala.
    DSC09811.JPG

Ghost flames added in the late 1990's.
    Not sure if they'll stay.
    DSC09817.JPG

1970's diamond pleat interior that I'm not crazy about but fits the theme.
    DSC09814.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  29. '58 is one of my favs, hands down. The washboard and spears play heavily into that.
    The pics aren't showing, just red X's in little boxes. Hope it's only my Jurrasic laptop.

loudbang likes this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Nope red X's on home big computer too. :(