Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Galaxie motor swap.....sbf

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tcoupekyle, May 30, 2013.

1. Anybody swap one into one of these cars? Need some direction....

2. davidh73750

davidh73750

I like the look of 60-62 fords but motor trans those year have always made me shy away. subscribed.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a '63-1/2 Galaxie with a 260 SBF! (Factory FUBAR) I wouldn't put a small block into a 4,000 lb. Galaxie, I tend to go the other way.
    I have a 406 for mine, but the small block sits in there on the same brackets factory welded to the tube crossmember as the large ones.

Small block mounts will be specific to the Galaxie, different from the Mustang and Fairlane chassis.

Transmission mount should be same for all, a NAPA parts man can look it up.
    On earlier Fords, ('56 and older) the trans mount crossmember (18" side to side) was a channel, with 2 holes for the mount. To bolt in an F-E where you pulled out a 'Y' block, the removeable rubber mount got unbolted and turned around, bolted back in.
    Larger F-E put the tranny mount 4" rearward, sat on the reversed mount perfectly.

Lotsa Ford tricks like that.

4. This thing may get a351 its probably going to be gut less but there again its just a Four door to take the girl friend to the grocery store

5. lgh1157

lgh1157

Look in to the 5.0L swap

6. I've got the 5.0 but has anyone swapped one before? In these cars?

7. How hard can it be? I'd think that the '63 260 or '64 289 mounts would do the trick. All of my Galaxies have been big blocks, so I'm no expert.

Bob

8. i am leaning towards a 5.0/aod swap in my car. it currently has a 390 cruise o matic. i am more of a custom guy then a go fast guy. and mid to low 20 mpg seems pretty good to me.everytime i try to resarch it the standard answer is why would you do that leave it a big block. so i am watching this thread.

9. 327Eric

327Eric

If it is the same frame as a 59 Ford,I think it is) It can be a simple job. On my 59 Ranchero(292 car), and my brothers 59 Galaxy(352 car) we used late 70's-early 90's Ford Truck mounts for the 302-351w, and a 1/2 inch steel plate, and simply moved the motor mount out 1 inch. Bolted right in. For the transmission I reused the rear mount off the stock automatic, with a little modification. On my brothers 59 custom 300, with a 351 cleveland and a 4 speed, same mounts, with a chevy turbo 350 trans mount. Your frame should be similar.

10. Cool! Thanks. I read somewhere a gut used fox body mustang mounts

11. I had a '64 Galaxie with a 260, Fordomatic and it hauled complete ass. No joke. A small block ford would do just fine in one of these cars.

12. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Ill bump this as I want to see if anyone might have pics of a 5.0 or other sbf in a early galaxie

13. lgh1157

lgh1157

I know someone that has done the swap several times - Ether who is on here, great guy and amazingly talented builder.

I know this :

289 mounts for a 64 Galaxie.
    Move tranny mount back for AOD
    Run return line in to tank
    Swap oil pick up and pan to front sump so it clears crossmember
    Run high psi fuel pump inline
    Depending on what year you get you can get a aftermarket wiring harness or go with a 88/89 mustang harness ( less circuits than a lincoln mark VII ).
    Use donor car radiator and fan
    Keep headers from engine with P.S.
    Lokar shifter if needed.

Im about a month away from doing this swap, . . . . so this is just info i have gathered, not work done. This swap has been done for years, much much info online about it :

http://www.mustangevolution.com/mustang-articles/swapping-a-50l-efi-t-5-into-a-classic-mustang/

Just search google : 5.0L swap

L

14. lgh1157

lgh1157

I also had a 64 Galaxie with a 5 bolt 289 and it ran fuckin great

L

15. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Ok great thanks for the information. I have a 5.0 and aod available but I was just curious if someone had done it either fuel injected or carburetor and how that worked with a car of its size.

16. lgh1157

lgh1157

17. awesome link.thanks man.the more i think about the more i am leaning this way.are you going injected or carbd?

18. lgh1157

lgh1157

EFI - but dont tell anyone on here :D ha !

I was cruising behind that red Galaxie ( in the link ), we were going about 72mph ish, . . . . he saw me and stomped on the gas and fuckin flew down the fast lane, . . . . . thats when i was sold on the swap.

L

19. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

The 289 mounts didn't work on the 302 we put in my buddy's 60. Check out 60galaxyjj's build me and him did. Pretty hot little 302 with a c6. We used stock oil pan and some 5.0 mustang shorty headers. Had to fab a crossmember for the tranny.

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A 5.0 will run just fine in that car. I had an 84 Crown Vic that weighed about the same as a small house and it had the 302 in it. Wasn't a screamer but it got right down the road and pulled out from lights just fine.

I think it will make a nice swap in your Galaxy.

Don

21. bpawl

bpawl
    from Aurora, TX
    1. 57-60 Ford F100s

I know this thread is older but I've been doing this swap since last november in a 64 fairlane 500 4dr. Im to the point of connecting the trans linkage. I want to keep the factory column shifter in the cab, and the later model ford tv cable connections to the tranny. I have the tv cable brackets installed and the cable connected to the throttle body up top. The donor car was a column shift as well, but the factory aod linkage is all the way to the rear of the vehicle when in park. The shifter linkage from the 64 is all the way forward in park. The two basically work against each other. Prob end up fabricating something, or switching the lever on the aod. Found lots of people that have this swap with the Lokar aod linkage kit and a carb, but I want to maintain the factory tv adjustment and brackets and I dont really want to pull the pan on the tranny if I dont need to. Ive purchased one of these and have it, but I havent seen anyone use that kit with the stock aod tv cable (instead of lokar's carb cable kit) Anyone here done this swap? Wondering if I can use that and keep the tv lever up top? I have everything somewhat complete except for this and brakes. My donor car was an 86 ltd with low miles and a rebuilt 88 model aod with 27,000 (thats why I dont want to pull pan really, I know its all good). It's speed density but its solid and road worthy. Dont want to burn this up but this thing is close to driving and Im ready to enjoy it some. I can turn key start it and it revs and idles like it should. I know alot of folks on this board are against efi and thats cool to each is own, but this has been one of my most rewarding builds to this point and should be a cool cruiser thats reliable. Far from a show car, and honestly its gonna be a beater cause its been a low budget build. Just wanna have some fun with it and maybe do another one after cutting my teeth on this one.

22. lgh1157

lgh1157

This is on a Galaxie

5.0L swap, used the AOD on the column shift

[​IMG]

23. bpawl

bpawl
    from Aurora, TX
    1. 57-60 Ford F100s

thanks for the pic! that looks way easier than what i was thinking. hopefully I can get in there and tack a bracket with the car the way it is

24. The Anchor brand motor mounts work great for the small block Ford conversion.
    Anchor #'s 2725 & 2726. They are reasonably price through Rock Auto.

25. lgh1157

lgh1157

No problem

Looks like the steering might be a lil sloppy though hahah :D

26. bpawl

bpawl
    from Aurora, TX
    1. 57-60 Ford F100s

lol, prob so