Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Galaxie ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35desoto, Jan 31, 2014.

1. 35desoto

35desoto

Guys - I am helping out a fellow club member. Her 1961 Galaxie is playing up when you turn the key - it wont turn off - you can turn it on - flick the keys to start - car starts and the key returns to the :run: position. However when you go to turn it off the key is jammed on. Please how do I get the ignition switch out - I have laid on my back trying to get it out only to aggravated an old back injury LOL I don't have access to a manual and have found nothing on a 'google" search, So how does the ignition switch come out?

2. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I think it's like my 57. It's spring loaded. Push in on the switch & turn the bezel. To remove the ignition cylinder I think you turn it to run position & push a paperclip in the small hole on the front of the cylinder then pull the cylinder out.

3. loudbang

loudbang

They used to have a small hole near the keyhole. Slip a paperclip that has been straightened out into the hole to release a catch type thing.

Then if I remember correctly turn the key toward the off position (not sure if it will work if yours is messed up in that position already) and it will go passed the off position to a spot where the whole lock tumbler will pull out with the key.

If that works (it's been awhile since I have done it) with the tumbler out I think the bezel holding the switch to the dash will unscrew.

Edit: 57Custom300 got in while I was typing LOL.

4. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I used this trick from a ford site some time ago

The lock cylinder does not need to be installed to install the ignition switch, in fact is is usually easier to install the lock cylinder after the switch has been installed.
    To install the cylinder you should turn the key to the accessory position and insert a paper clip into the small hole. You will have to move the key some to get the pin to seat fully.
    You then hold the key and cylinder at about the 11 o'clock position then push (or wiggle) it into the switch until fully seated, remove the paper clip and turn the key to another position and this should lock the cylinder into place

5. 35desoto

35desoto

Guys - thank you - cylinder lock now removed and off to the locksmith to see if we can rescue this one. Marvellous what you can do with a paper clip!!!