Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Econoline with auto transmission problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jandk, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jandk

jandk

I have a 61 Econoline. The previous owner replaced the engine and transmission with donors from a 65 Mustang (str 6). The transmission is an automatic.

When i stop and place the transmission in park, it easy moves out. Sometimes even when i shut the door. Is there a way to correct this?

2. That is most likely just a matter of adjusting the linkage. The shifter is at it's stop before the transmission lever is fully engaged in park

3. jandk

jandk

I will look at the adjustment this evening. Thanks for the advice

4. econopoor

econopoor
    from Jackson TN

Vic in SoCal makes a cable conversion for Econolines that gives it a clean crisp shift and should help this issue.
    [email protected]

Duane in Tennessee

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Did they use the stock 3 speed shift rail for the automatic? No detents? I did that a long time ago, used a console shift arm on trans so park was down towards your knee. Remembering I used first-reverse shift rail up in the reverse gate, could pop shifter into neutral for anti theft. :cool: Never had a problem with it poping out though.