Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grits, Dec 29, 2009.

1. I did the search thing, I'd like to see what you guys would consider to be 60's era correct.
    So I'll start with what I feel is correct.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. Are you talking about the early '60s or the later '60s? That decade actually had 2 completely different styles. Michael

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There is a pretty extensive thread on "60's" styled hot rods. I'll see if I can locate it.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

5. There is a big difference. The early part was still more of the late 50s style while the later part was more 60s psychedelic. Nothing wrong with both in my book.

6. John Denich

John Denich

More chrome if its a 60's build...ALOT MORE!!!!!

7. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

8. The dual quad tunnel ram seems to border on early 70's. But, yeah, lots more chrome!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have a few things to change to make it complete but I think my '26 gives off a mid 60's vibe. I would like to get fresh set of pipes same style but chrome on there. I also would like to change out the headlight for aluminum stands and smaller lights. Chrome the whole front end and if I could figure a way to mount a 4-71 with 4 94's all polished that would be pretty boss too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rodncustomdreams and LOU WELLS like this.
  10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 566.jpg This car was built in the 60's

EVL401 likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that coupe doesn't say 60's at all to me.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That car is awesome!! Love the running boards. Late 60's Build?

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Yep It was my pops ...........Around 68 I believe he finished it.I was just born

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I was there in the sixties and it is my favorite time for hotrod parts etc.but be glad you are building now because we have a lot more to work with.Tires sticking out of the fenderwells allways sucked to us but we hadnt reached the fabrication level for home builds back then. I like building sixties styled cars better now than then!

15. John Denich

John Denich

If it was my car and I was going for that 60's look I would loose the tunnel ram, go with a regular dual quad you have the crabs already, ram horn exhaust chrome of course, with tips out the back maybe twin tips on each side, chrome the wish bones, axle, backing plates and head lights need to be smaller, do something with the fire wall looks fibreglass its too flat!!! You asked but that is just what I would do!

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

2009 "old style" build

17. John Denich

John Denich

Thats the words I was looking for!!!!

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's pretty good advice. Perhaps a sheet of stainless or and aluminum fire wall would do the trick. I would also head for a regular dual quad with chromed ram horns like you said. Chrome everything up front and I would even go as far as lowering the ass end down an inch or two so that the nose is pointed up slightly. I think it would give off late 60's drag look. This is coming from a person that is fully aware of his own cars flaws as I stated above. A little at a time and that car will be dead on for a 60's Hot Rod!!!

19. JAWS

JAWS

If you waited about 50 years and 4 days, then finished it. A 60's rod you would have for sure..

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think what some of the guys are saying is that if you were to remove the wheels and tires from your coupe what else would tie it to the 60's? It can't just be one thing that dresses your car appropriately to a period but a combination of things like stance, chromes vs paint, engine choice, intake choice etc. It's an awesome car and I am sure it runs like a raped ape!!!

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

cross ram!!!

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

All those ideas sound awesome dude!! A little at a time and chip away at making changes.

I actually love the stance on your car an it fits the era perfect but just in case you were looking for something different take a look at Royalshifter's drag coupe which I think is based on late 50's looks. Maybe lower the back just not as much like you said!
    [​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

For a current build, Live Wire says early 60's to me.....
    A few more that have the "look" as well.......

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Ah...why not...a few more won't hurt will it?

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  25. Greezy

Greezy

Nice coupe Grits but it says 2000/2009 build. Drive the hell out of it, and dont sweat it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's definitely a rad car whether is more 60's or Grits style. The more I look at it, I start to think that the stance is spot on. Don't touch it!!! Just start chroming everything in sight and get the interior done in diamond pleat while painting the car a dusty gold color like Champagne and call it done.....that is after you find the right intake.:D

A dual carb'd intake on top of a 6-71 GMC blower would sure set that car off!!!

27. bigken

bigken

Hey man, if your gonna change pipes, give me a holler. Been thinking about 'Lakes' for mine. Like to see if your would fit............HEHEHEHE

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

My era of rodding...1967, Southern California

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Greezy

Greezy

Zenors coupe is spot on. That orange 32 was built in the 60s unless its a near perfect clone.

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Grits, what in particular???

leadsled deluxe likes this.