Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Studebaker Lark Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hightone111, Jul 8, 2010.

1. You gotta run the Magnesium Wheels!!. Pick up another set of axles and have them machined properly or take your fubar'd axles, weld in plugs, machine flat and have them tapped properly. Then you can run the Mag's that car deserves. Love the build. Couldn't see from the pics but in the one where you fish plated the front frame tubes, it almost looks like the original channel has been cut down to basically being apiece of angle. If so please box it back in. I'm probably wrong so please disregard as everything else looks great!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Hightone111 likes this.
  2. Hightone111

Hightone111

Not exactly sure what you mean about the frame channel but it’s also tied into the cage on both sides of the seam.

Yeah I’ll hang onto the wheels and maybe try to get to doing that down the road a bit. But I appreciate the input!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

METAL MELTDOWN and Six Ball like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Coulda', Woulda', Shoulda' o_O I have a pretty straight '59 Lark you could buy and show us how it should be done.

100_0836.jpg

4. jroberts

jroberts

Amen!

loudbang, Six Ball and Hightone111 like this.
  5. [​IMG]

@ SIX BALL not trying too be an ass or being too crtiical, just trying to offer some constructive criticism in something that may have been overlooked. I don't know how I could have made it any more clear that from the pic I wasn't sure and was more than likely WRONG. I love the build and what HIGHTONE111 has accomplished. Most come here looking to help or to gain knowledge. That is all, now back to the build.

Six Ball likes this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Something to try on your brake pads. File the leading and trailing edges to a 45 degree angle.
    Just takes a few minutes with a hand file.
    Years ago when I worked for Midas muffler we did it on all brake jobs to cut down on brake squealing come backs.

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  7. Hightone111

Hightone111

Yeah I did that as well.

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you have access to a brake lathe put a random pattern on the pads with a disc attachment. Or you could just have pads that are very hard or glazed. Have you tried a light sanding on the pads ?
    Brake squeal is a harmonic chatter or so I have been told by two different brake pad manufacturers.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Hightone111

Hightone111

I sanded them once and it cleared up for a few miles. I found and ordered a set of pads last night that are supposed to be the “quietest compound”. I’ll give those a sho before I completely change the front end over it.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Most cool your gasser Lark... living with a Corvair van!

Bill

loudbang and Hightone111 like this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Get some ear plugs and move on, Maybe people will hear you trying to stop and get out of the way.:eek:

loudbang likes this.
  12. Hightone111

Hightone111

Adjustments.JPG
    Got these two out for a cruise today. Shifter seems to be functioning better and I disconnected the front brakes until the new pads show up. Can’t wait to get the ladder bars on now!

OahuEli, olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yep! One of my favorite hod rod plans. Put just exactly what you need on it to make it legal and then take 3 things off.
    I don' gotta' chow jew no stinking' from' brakes! :cool:

loudbang and Hightone111 like this.
  14. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

15. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

16. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

17. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

18. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

19. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

20. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You already posted that one. Let's get back to Hightonelll's build thread. He has plenty of inspiration now.

Hightone111 and loudbang like this.
  22. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Good eye, I've been on the computer to long. They are easier to delete than to post.

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  23. Hightone111

Hightone111

Small update. Got the new brake pads on and haven’t had any issues yet also got the ladder bars done. No good pics to show just yet and I think I still want to add some support and “safety straps” in case the heims break. But so far things seem to be functioning ok.
    Anyway, here’s some recent pics from a ride last week
    Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

24. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

25. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

26. Hightone111

Hightone111

My car is already built, I’m not sure what you’re trying to do.

27. loudbang

loudbang

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Late to your thread, great job, love it! Got any plans for paint?

29. Have you checked the load rating on those tires? Do you know how much of the car weight is on the front? Most bike tires in those sizes are only rated for 600-700 lbs each, at best you must be at or above that limit and that's the static load. Add in dynamic load (braking, bumps, etc) and it will be pretty easy to seriously exceed the tire rating and have a blowout. Add in cornering loads, another issue (bikes aren't steered by turning the bars, it's done by leaning the bike) that could be a big factor in tire longevity/safety. And I suspect that when you have a tire failure, by the time you get the vehicle stopped the wheel will be trashed. Tire life will be short too; if you get 12K out of them I'd be amazed, more likely it'll be half that.

Not trying to bust your balls, I just don't want to see anyone hurt or trash your car. It's a great car, reminds me of one a guy I used to know had; factory supercharged 289/4-speed Lark 2dr post that terrorized the local street racers 'back in the day'...

30. Hightone111

Hightone111

These are all things I’ve considered. I’m still not 100% sure I will keep it the way it is as I have the same concerns. Only have about 50 miles on it so far, so I’m not too worried.