Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 rambler aluminum head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jm36072, May 9, 2009.

1. jm36072

jm36072

I have a 1960 rambler 2dr wagon with the original flathead strait six. I have seen one other car with a finned aluminum head with two carb holes. I am looking for any info about who made these heads or where i can maybe find one. Thanks for looking.

2. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

Edmunds made them back in the fifties. The upper part of the intake manifold was part of the head and the lower part was part of the block.
    You might try putting on an ongoing search on E-Bay useing the keywords, Edmunds, intake , and Nash.

3. jm36072

jm36072

thanks, I will try that.

4. mtpockits

mtpockits

im looking for this myself.

Attached Files:

5. farna

farna

Good luck finding an Edmunds head, I've only seen a couple! You might want to expand your search to include the 1955 Nash Statesman "LeMans" head. Not finnned, but aluminum and sports two Carter YH 1V carbs. Only made that one year in limited numbers (who knows how many... 100? 500? surely no more than 1000!) though, and I've only seen one of those. The easiest to find upgrade would be a 53-56 Nash Statesman 2V head. I think it's aluminum too, not 100% on that one. It sports a Carter WCD 2V carb though, and more of those were made. All automatic equipped Statesman car got it, and I think it was an option with a stick... not real sure of that. The auto equipped 195.6 L-head needed the extra 12 vhp though, the only auto available at the time was the heavy Dual Range Hydramatic!

6. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Dad had a '54 Nash Super Statesman with 2 x 1bbls and an Alum. head & auto (hydro). It wasn't fast but sure rode nice. I drove it to high school, the seats were a nice feature that my dates parents DID NOT like.

7. I have an Edmunds head. I can take pictures if you like. Dean

8. mtpockits

mtpockits

9. Here's the pictures of my Edmunds head. It's not for sale. Dean

Attached Files:

10. farna

farna

Thanks for the photos! Now I remember one more thing about the Edmunds head for Nash L-head engines.... there were three different versions! The difference is in the size of the combustion chamber. Nash made three sizes of basically the same engine -- 172.6, 184.0, and 195.6. All three had the same 3.125" bore, different strokes. Combustion chamber size was different, smaller on the smaller engine. I don't know what size the chambers are on the L-heads. It's harder to figure compression on one due to the chamber going over the valves.

The only thing you could do is measure the chamber volume of a stock 196 head then measure the chamber volume on the Edmunds head. You have the bore and stroke of the stock engine, and the compression ratio. Use the formula for figuring compression to find out what the stock chamber size is then subtract the volume of the stock head. To find out what compression would be with the Edmunds head add that back to the stock volume minus stock chamber and run it. L-heads don't respond well to more than 10:1 compression because chambers small enough for that ratio make the transfer area between the vlaves and cylinder to small.

Stock compression on the late model 196 was 8:1 (55 2V only, 58-65 all... no Nash/AMC L-head made for 56-57), 3.125" bore, 4.250" stroke. The earlier 196 (52-55, Nash Statesman only) had ony 7.3:1 compression. The 184 appeared in 1950 for the Statesman (50-51) and was used in the Rambler in 53-54 (55 Rambler with Hydramatic got the Statesman 196), 4" stroke. My copy of "Standard Catalog of American Motors" indicates that the 184 wasn't used in 52, but I'm not so sure. 50-52 Ramblers used the 172.6 L-head with 7.25:1 compression and 3.75" stroke. The smaller engine was used in the Nash 600 from 1941-49. It made it's first appearance as a new design in the 41 600, which was also the first US mass produced unit body car.

11. mtpockits

mtpockits

anyone..........

12. kooldaddy-o

kooldaddy-o

Not mine but check this auction for NOS Edmunds head I stumbled on 170359133087

13. daily_driver

daily_driver

I've got one of those aluminum statesman le mans heads (cast by alcoa) out in the garage; NOS and never ran at that. If anyone is interested, let me know.-DD

14. mtpockits

mtpockits

pm sent to dd.

15. mtpockits

mtpockits

thanks for all the imfo from farna, and everyone here, here is what i bought from daily driver.

Attached Files:

16. farna

farna

I just saw that the Edmunds head on e-bay went for $500. The Nash head might not look quite as good, but will still be an attention getter! Edmunds or Fenton one used to make header "adapters" also. I've only seen one set, they were on a car. They could easily be duplicated with three 4-6" lengths of tubing for each outlet, capped on the ends, with another piece of tubing welded in at 90°. Then weld two tabs on the top and bottom so a stud or bolt can be used to hold it on the block. The Fenton/Edmunds pieces were cast, but no reason a tubing piece (1-7/8" OD tubing, by the way) wouldn't work. Just make sure the welds don run into the block. Then you'd have a nice header.

Nash used a glass pack muffler and a reonator (to take the "bark" out of the glass pack) on the Statesman at one time, along with a 2V carb, to gain 20 hp. The standard 54+ 196 L-head put out 85-90 hp, the Nash Statesman w/auto trans had 110 hp.

Send me some photos of the car, especially once you install the head. Would be a good feature article for AMC. Send me an e-mail address and I'll send you a PDF file copy of the current issue.

17. mtpockits

mtpockits

i have the headers too.

Attached Files:

18. farna

farna

19. kevachowcc

kevachowcc

anyone out there have any leads on a dual carb head for 60's rambler 6? im building a 27 speedster with a rambler 6 and it would be to cool thanks kev

20. daily_driver

daily_driver

Sorry, no leads on any 2x1 heads that I have found, but they're out there. The speedster sounds cool, I plan on running a spare nash 6 in the bucket I'm building.-dd

21. mtpockits

mtpockits

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  22. rosthaufen

rosthaufen
    from Germany

I am looking for a 6 cylinder flathead cylinder head!?

Who can help me??

BR Greg