Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Pontiac Models

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by techdrawsb, May 31, 2011.

1. techdrawsb

techdrawsb
    from GA

Hey Everyone:

Can you tell me the differences between the Pontiac models in 1960? My dad had a Ventura and in my search for photos of Venturas, I also ran across Laurentians, Bonnevilles, and Catalinas. Any explanation of the differences between these, and any others that I failed to mention, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

TechDraw.

2. Swifster

Swifster

Catalina and Ventura models are on a shorter WB. Star Chief and Bonneville models were on a longer WB. Laurentians were Canada only models.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Pretty much sums it up. :)

Catalina was the base model. Ventura was essentially a Catalina with a nicer interior. Star Chief was a longer wheelbase car, with an interior similar to a Catalina. Bonneville was a longer wheelbase car with a deluxe interior and trim, it was top of the line.

Laurentians and Strato Chiefs were the Canadian Pontiacs, they used a Chevrolet frame and drivetrain. Even though they look similar to US cars there isn't a lot of interchangeability for parts. The most obvious difference is they weren't Wide Tracks like the US cars...compare a photo of one to a US Pontiac, and notice how far the wheels are inside the wheelwells.

One Canadian Pontiac I'd like to have is a two door station wagon, the US cars didn't have that body style.

4. techdrawsb

techdrawsb
    from GA

Thanks for the info, y'all!

5. ccrodder

ccrodder

I get a kick out of watching people scratch their head wondering how I got the 8" deep reversed chrome wheels to fit the "Wide Track" on my '60 Parisienne...not realizing the Canadian Pontiacs do not have the Wide Track as do the U.S. Pontiacs.