Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1960 Plymouth brake drums

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jeff Bridges, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jeff Bridges

Jeff Bridges

Hello, my name is Jeff. I recently purchased a 1960 Plymouth Fury. After removing the rear wheels it became apparent that a previous owner pried and damaged the rear left drum in a removal attempt. I have an OTC 6980 wheel hub puller and a impact wrench on hand. After researching the matter, I attempted to remove the drums with no success. Does anyone have experience with brake drums of this type that can give instructions on how to correctly remove them?

Thanks - Jeff.

Attached Files:

2. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have a hub puller I made just for those. It tightens against the axle and you can smack it with a bfh and pop it loose. I will sell it ... I retired and don't want to use it any more.... Lol

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. George

George

Solved that problem on my '60 Plym by putting a 9" in it.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This subject has been covered a few million times on this and other boards. You need a hella good puller and you have to mean business. There was a thread on here no more than a week ago, the guy had a good 3 jaw puller that bolted onto the wheel bolts (correct) and tried to bust the hub loose with an air ratchet. The hub laughed at him. So he tried a pipe wrench with a 6' cheater pipe and off it came. I would have gone with a 3/4 drive Johnson bar but to each his own.

There is no trick and no easy way. The hub is made to wedge onto the axle, that is what holds them together when you do a burnout. The key is only on there to locate it.

After 50 years they grow together.

So get a big puller. Take the nut off, turn it around and put it back on flush with the axle. This protects the axle from getting mushroomed and stops the hub from flying across the shop like a guided missile. Put the puller on carefully, some suggest putting a penny on the axle. Make sure it is on straight and tight, and wail. It will come off.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Flat Six Fix likes this.
  6. This is my puller for tapered axles, I bought it when I got my 1940 Dodge 45 yrs ago, the puller hasn't met a tapered axle it didn't like and as Rusty says get a BIG puller, you can't get one too big.........bolt it on, tightened everything up and get a large hammer and wack the centre bolt of the puller, retighten the centre bolt and wack again..........as Rusty says, it will come off...........good luck...........andyd

Attached Files:

7. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Welcome, Jeff. Where are you from? Do your friends call you "The Dude" or something similar? :D

148522-LastPictureShow65.jpg