Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Olds engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60olds98, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I have the stock 394 engine and hydramatic trans in my '60 Olds. Would there be a lot of changes to make if I put a 350/350 in it? My engine needs work so I was wondering if I should change it to something that is easier to get parts for.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Mounts, tranny mount, exhaust, wiring, drive shaft changes, Radiator outlet positions... uhm yea... I'm looking into the same thing with my 59 olds, I have a 455/400 that could go in but there's a ton of little work!!!!

3. Unless the engine needs a complete rebuild, I don't know why you'd even consider this. Olds parts aren't that hard to come by, if you look a little.

Can it be done? Yes. You need to scare up new mounts, a custom exhaust has to be done, and I forget if these X-frame cars run a carrier bearing, but the short section of the driveshaft may need to be modified.

Frankly I'd sooner put an early Pontiac motor in it, since a 59-63 389 can be rebuilt with all the same stuff as a later 400, will bolt up to the existing trans, and because they won't bolt to newer transmissions without an adapter are usually cheap.

4. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I'm going to keep my 394, it looks good in an Oldsmobile.
    Just getting ready to yank it for a rebuild!

5. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

No carrier...
    And mine is getting a "freshening up" I should say. Doesn't need a hardcore rebuild.

6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I've got everything stock or speed that you could possibly need for your 394,no reason to hack it up

Tony

7. Thanks for the replies.
    chaddilac: You're right-alot of little work.
    rustynewyorker: I'm only considering this as an option but probably won't do it.
    blackmaria60: The 394 does look good. Maybe mine just needs a freshening up, too.
    goatroper02: I'll contact you when I figure out what I need.